Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya USA Track Closing????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aluma
wow, that bites...I always want to drive over there just to race at that place.

It'd be cool if they moved down here to the Rio Grande Valley...mexico is right across the border about 10miles away. Port Available in Brownsville for shipping purposes, LOTS of land available everywhere...and it would be equidistant for all racers from the east and west coast. Plus for Big events, South Padre Island is nearby for "party" purposes.
you can still race at the Tamiya track. you have two opportunities. participate in the Reedy Race. or come out to the two day TCS regionals (that makes you eligible for the TCS nats too).

it is awfully sad that the Tamiya track is going away. Its one of the best tracks ive raced on.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Default Professional RC

Thats the problem.

No thinking.

Do people pay to watch Video Games? No

Is it a Professional Sport? Yes

Do people pay to watch Texas Hold em? No

Is it a Professional Sport? Yes

I can go on and on.

RC racing is not a Professional Sport because for too long there are those that don't want it to be. The real question is why?

Until R/C racers figure that out, tracks will come & go the way they've done since the start of R/C racing.

It's a shame that the land under the Tamiya track is seen as more valuable than the Sport it represents. I would have liked to race there someday too.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gtypecanare
Tamiya America will be moving to an office in the Irvine Spectrum. With it's warehousing facility outsourced in Carson. The move is expected some time in June.
lots of space in carson, if its near the "walmart" ;-)
Old 04-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Lots of companies buy their land and buildings as investments. I'm sure their location in Aliso Viejo was long term real estate investment and they probably got an offer they couldn't refuse or their lease is up and the owner of the land\building is ready to do something else with it. Anyhow, I'm sure Tamiya's location in Irvine will have a track as well.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

I would think with a test track at thier current location, that there is a chance they figured one into the move.

I mean if you are going to spend XXXX amount to relocate and move whats another $10000 investment in a track.

LOL
Old 04-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

Well, Tamiya America Inc. purchased the land and property back in the early 90's. With the increase in competition in the R/C and Modelling industry and decreasing sales in the U.S. Tamiya America took a very hard look at it's operations to see what it could do to build for the future.

As far as a track Tamiya America will have, it will be most likely be a parking lot venue with a barrier system similar to the one used at the Tamiya Worlds
Old 04-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

The track will be open for the TCS regionals and the North American finals this what Fred Medel has been promised by his bosses.

The track will officially be open on a a week to week bases after the Reedy race and will stay open as long as Tamiya has rights to the land, which they currently own but are in the process of selling.

Until the the track officially closes the same rules will continue to apply as they always have.

There will not be a new perminent track at the new Irvine or Carson locations.

Fred is looking into some options for a possible mobile track to be able to continue to hold events and promote the hobby but nothing has yet to be finalized.

-Mr. Black A.K.A. Tamiya Track Official
Old 04-25-2007, 04:15 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well that is a shame to hear about the Tamiya track. I will greatly miss the people and the venue itself. I truely hope Tamiya can put something together at their new location. Otherwise, this will really make my R/C hobby take a huge hit.

You don't realize how lucky and fortunate you are to have something until you don't have it anymore. Its a great track.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

My tamiya cars will soon become shelf queens, joining my 1/10 pan car, AE tc3, Yokomo touring,

I just purchased a tao5r, specifically for the last two tcs races at THQ. I was going to pass on thr R version, but thought it would be definitely be worth the purchase just to race on the track for the last few times.

I will look forward to any new venues that Tamiya developes.

I still remember their first, the indoor carpet race at the Long Beach Convention center. that was much fun.

wn