R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #31
Tech Regular

thanks for all of the information guys. I had someone else tell me that you have to gear tall when running checkpoints but also one of the motors that can take a lot of punishment. I know that when I run the Komodo, and I gear it a 6.25, the motor flies. I do agree depending on the brush that you use, you may get about 3 runs out of it before you have to cut the comm, and that is with trinity's 4499 brushes. when using the XXX trinity brushes, I can get about 40 runs on the brushes without having to replace them and that is with cutting the comm.

Now i know that springs has a lot to do with the performance of your motor as well. I run purple springs on the pos side and red springs on the neg side. If I want incredible power but have to cut more often, I will go purple/ purple on the springs but I usually run purple + / red -.

I wanted to see what everyone thought becuase I have to agree about the Komodo, it is one of the fastest out of the box and maintains its power even when cut.

another question: Do you notice a difference between the Komodo Pro and the non pro Komodo?

Just this past week i ran a chameleon pro and it was blazing fast as well. Let me know what you think about the difference in the "Pro" versus the "non pro."

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Elboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I know one thing that is a major difference between pro and non, that is the balancing, unless you have a $200 armature balancing tool you better go with the pro.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:29 PM   #33
Tech Adept

everyone is talking about komondo's I have a blueprinted one from team brood I have been told turn run it from 24mm rollout to 35mm someone please tell me the correct starting point.

6.25 isn't that about what you should gear a stock motor not 19 turn?

Last edited by 16skyline; 04-27-2007 at 07:14 AM.
16skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:16 AM   #34
Tech Adept

pump
Old 04-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #35
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

HTML Code:
6.2 to 6.3 should be ok for a komodo

Also, try playing around with brush cuts.

Last edited by Mr. MR4; 04-27-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Mr. MR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16skyline
everyone is talking about komondo's I have a blueprinted one from team brood I have been told turn run it from 24mm rollout to 35mm someone please tell me the correct starting point.

6.25 is high for a stock motor and only a CO27 will ever see that kind of gearing and only on big flowing tracks.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #37
Tech Regular

I don't run stock but the 6.25 is when I run 58mm foams and a 100 tooth spur gear with a 39 tooth pinion. the fast guys have a rollout of about 29.15 and when matching their rollout ratio, that is the gearing that I use. It runs the Komodo a little Hot and I use 4499 brushes and I order some xxx brushes for longevity.

but i do notice the difference between the pro and the non pro komodo.

what I was surprised about was the chameleon pro i put in my cyclone. The Chameleion was hellafast with the same gearing.

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Old 04-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #38
Tech Adept

So my gearing is all wrong, I run my stock at 6.23 and my komondo at 7.13.

If the komondo is to run at 6.25 what should a team brood pro stock be ran at?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i just bought a kd pro and put it on breakin i tried it with stock settings then i put purple purple springs and notice that stock springs it was pulling more amps. what does this mean?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #40
Tech Regular

16 skyline

You are geared a little high. I found out a wealth of info last week on the forums. the first thing that you need to do is find out what the final gear ratio for your car is. that can be done by contacting the mfr. of the car or it may even be in the instruction book for the car.

I run a world edition cyclone and when I called HPI, the car is the same gear ratio as the pro4 was (2.4375). My problem was that my firends were flying on the track and I would use the same spur and pinion but could never match their speed. That is because of rollout ration. someone gave me the web link for a rollout ratio calculator and it is awesome. if you go online and search for rollout ratio you will see a link to gearwizrd. Once i found out my final drive ratio for my car I inputted the diamater of the foams I run (58 to 56mm() then I put in the spur the car came with (100 tooth) and then i inputted the pinion until i got the same gear ratio as my friend.

i.e. he runs a Yokomo Masamis edition and his final gear ratio is a 2.0 he uses a 100 tooth spur gear and a 32 tooth pinion to give him a 6.25 gear ratio.

my car has a final gear ratio of 2.4375. in order to run 6.25 i have to use a 100 tooth spur but a 39 tooth pinion and now he is trying to keep up with me. so find out your final gear ration and then you can mess with the spur and pinion to get inbewtween a 6.2 and 6.3 gear ratio.

RoadRage

when you use the stock springs, you will produce more amps becsue of the spring combo. We have a small technical track so overall straightaway speed isn't something that I worry too much about. when you use purple/ pruple springs, you are asking the motor to give you a lot of punch and a lot of rpm's but you have to cut the comm more often.

I actuyally sent a email to team brood and web briscoe answered and said that when he sends out a blueprinted Komodo, he sends it out with purple/red springs and I tried that as well as the purple and red springs gave me the best combination. and that is with regular 4499 trinity brushes. I am going to the XXX trinity brushes because they last longer. Hope this helps out guys. I am not a wiz when it comes to motors at all, I just try the suggestions that I get from companies. If anyone else has good suggestions then please list them as well. No such thing as knowing too much in this great hobby of ours.

"Drive Hard or Go Home"
Old 04-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #41
Tech Apprentice

Default PEAK

I ran the Peak 07 dynasty in our big race up here almost a month ago. I did alot of testing with this motor and found the optimum rollout for this motor was between a 29.6-30.2mm. for this paticular weekend i geared it at a 30.1 and it was very quick! I was running it with F-brushes and peak 150 degree springs...havent given the katana brush a fair shot yet but from what i hear is the same speed but performs better in extreme heat(at the end of a run) Also that weekend parma paul and keven hebert were runnnin this motor and had excellent results with itas well.

TAMIYA- www.tamiya.ca
LRP- www.lrp-electronic.de
Reedy batteries
Protoform- www.pro-lineracing.com
Parma- www.parmapse.com
APS racing- www.aps-racing.net
www.muchhobby.com
TRFwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:57 PM   #42
Tech Adept

It would be good to read what other motors drivers use and at what rollout/gear ratio?
Old 04-27-2007, 11:31 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

does the new peak 07 dynasty come standard with Q-compound/katana or f-brush?
peakracing website states it comes with q-compound brushes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFwhitey
I ran the Peak 07 dynasty in our big race up here almost a month ago. I did alot of testing with this motor and found the optimum rollout for this motor was between a 29.6-30.2mm. for this paticular weekend i geared it at a 30.1 and it was very quick! I was running it with F-brushes and peak 150 degree springs...havent given the katana brush a fair shot yet but from what i hear is the same speed but performs better in extreme heat(at the end of a run) Also that weekend parma paul and keven hebert were runnnin this motor and had excellent results with itas well.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:51 AM   #44
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyl03
does the new peak 07 dynasty come standard with Q-compound/katana or f-brush?
peakracing website states it comes with q-compound brushes.
It is Q-Brush.
trf_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:49 AM   #45
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default 16skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16skyline
It would be good to read what other motors drivers use and at what rollout/gear ratio?
i have run 19 turn at different tracks.
most people will rollout at or about 28-29mm
hope this helps..

matt