Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Ball Bearings in a Stock Motor - why aren't they legal? >

Ball Bearings in a Stock Motor - why aren't they legal?

Ball Bearings in a Stock Motor - why aren't they legal?

Old 04-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
I was just curious the history of the stock motor rules. Why aren't ball bearings legal? Was it a cost issue? I wonder if the rules were written today if they would still be illegal? Like I said I was just curious. The stock brushless motors got me thinking about the issue...
The goal was to control costs in an entry level class - Unfortunatley, I do not think it really worked out that way. To much engine tinkering going on. I think the only way a cost efficient class can exist is if it is a closed can motor.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

T- when the stockers were closed-can, I spent a LOT more - either you used a stock can lathe (where you had to pull off one part of the endbell. . .pain) or you (illegally) popped the endbell off to cut the comm OR you just used a comm stick and tossed the motor after you burned it up.

I believe stock motors last much longer now that we can cut the comms regularly and, now, just skim them rather than really dig at them. . .

None of which speaks to bearings vs. bushings.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

I agree that there is very little if any performance gain from bearings in stock. I also agree that we need to keep things as cheap as possible for the beginners. Stock should be a beginner class (and slower).

I can't see how 50 cents worth of bearings (2 cheap bearings) can add more than a buck to the stock motor cost. If I can get bearings that cheap then the motor companies can.

In the end, there are bigger fish to fry other than stockers with bearings.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by McSmooth
Movie quote....followed by, "Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads."
"And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State."

Oh, and you can get Boca bearings at HobbyTown for $0.99 each *retail* (quantity 1), so I fail to see how adding bearings to stock motors would really change the price at all. But do they really last longer in a motor than bushings? Do you get more RPM from bearings than bushings? Why don't 19T motors come with bushings? Inquiring minds want to know...

Oh, and McSmooth, I really think your new avatar is *worse* that that one of the human colon
Old 04-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I wasnt asking that it be changed. I was just wondering why. Thanks everyone for the responses.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Oh, and McSmooth, I really think your new avatar is *worse* that that one of the human colon
Maybe that's who the colon belongs to.....
Old 04-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
"And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State."

Oh, and you can get Boca bearings at HobbyTown for $0.99 each *retail* (quantity 1), so I fail to see how adding bearings to stock motors would really change the price at all. But do they really last longer in a motor than bushings? Do you get more RPM from bearings than bushings? Why don't 19T motors come with bushings? Inquiring minds want to know...

I already explained this one, but you have to understand manufacturing. If bushings vs. bearings increases $1, then we are talking about quite a significant number in it's affect on percentages. If you add 5% to cost of manufacturing, that's a lot when it trickles down through wholesale, distribution, retail, etc. It isn't just our RC Industry, it's how all manufacturing is, and if anything I would guess that the margins are fairly small compared to other industries of the same volume, so the affect would be large.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

delete, double post
Old 04-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Rick,

orion used to offer a version of the core stock with bearings I don't recall how much was the price difference though... it very well might have been around $10...
Old 04-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by edseb
I already explained this one, but you have to understand manufacturing. If bushings vs. bearings increases $1, then we are talking about quite a significant number in it's affect on percentages. If you add 5% to cost of manufacturing, that's a lot when it trickles down through wholesale, distribution, retail, etc. It isn't just our RC Industry, it's how all manufacturing is, and if anything I would guess that the margins are fairly small compared to other industries of the same volume, so the affect would be large.
Someone already posted it was like a $.23 difference. So if everyone that touches it add 5% and it changed hands 5 times then that is like
$.29 more.

Again, I wasnt looking for that level of detail. Was just trying to understand the history of it.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Tech Champion

On the other hand Trinity sells the Epic X for 35 and the Epic XX for 44.99 so apparently they think its an $11 difference.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Someone already posted it was like a $.23 difference. So if everyone that touches it add 5% and it changed hands 5 times then that is like
$.29 more.

Again, I wasnt looking for that level of detail. Was just trying to understand the history of it.
No, you have to take that $.23 percentage from overall manufacturing costs and multiply that each step as well. So it's exponential from the first step...uh I think we are getting off on a tangent, but the final affect is significant.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by edseb
No, you have to take that $.23 percentage from overall manufacturing costs and multiply that each step as well. ...uh I think we are getting off on a tangent, but the final affect is significant.
No I dont think that is correct. The .23 plus a % isnt added along the way. Just the %. I work in distribution and at least in my industry that is how it works. May be different in RC though.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

No I dont think that is correct. The .23 plus a % isnt added along the way. Just the %. I work in distribution and at least in my industry that is how it works. May be different in RC though.
You are correct, that's what I was trying to say, that's why I said "that $.23 percentage." Anyway..
Old 04-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

...plus that's a percentage based on original cost of manufacturing that carries through.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.