R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
I was just curious the history of the stock motor rules. Why aren't ball bearings legal? Was it a cost issue? I wonder if the rules were written today if they would still be illegal? Like I said I was just curious. The stock brushless motors got me thinking about the issue...
The goal was to control costs in an entry level class - Unfortunatley, I do not think it really worked out that way. To much engine tinkering going on. I think the only way a cost efficient class can exist is if it is a closed can motor.
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #17
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

T- when the stockers were closed-can, I spent a LOT more - either you used a stock can lathe (where you had to pull off one part of the endbell. . .pain) or you (illegally) popped the endbell off to cut the comm OR you just used a comm stick and tossed the motor after you burned it up.

I believe stock motors last much longer now that we can cut the comms regularly and, now, just skim them rather than really dig at them. . .

None of which speaks to bearings vs. bushings.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #18
Tech Regular

I agree that there is very little if any performance gain from bearings in stock. I also agree that we need to keep things as cheap as possible for the beginners. Stock should be a beginner class (and slower).

I can't see how 50 cents worth of bearings (2 cheap bearings) can add more than a buck to the stock motor cost. If I can get bearings that cheap then the motor companies can.

In the end, there are bigger fish to fry other than stockers with bearings.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #19
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmooth
Movie quote....followed by, "Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads."
"And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State."

Oh, and you can get Boca bearings at HobbyTown for $0.99 each *retail* (quantity 1), so I fail to see how adding bearings to stock motors would really change the price at all. But do they really last longer in a motor than bushings? Do you get more RPM from bearings than bushings? Why don't 19T motors come with bushings? Inquiring minds want to know...

Oh, and McSmooth, I really think your new avatar is *worse* that that one of the human colon
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I wasnt asking that it be changed. I was just wondering why. Thanks everyone for the responses.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:47 PM   #21
Suspended

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Oh, and McSmooth, I really think your new avatar is *worse* that that one of the human colon
Maybe that's who the colon belongs to.....
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:07 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
"And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State."

Oh, and you can get Boca bearings at HobbyTown for $0.99 each *retail* (quantity 1), so I fail to see how adding bearings to stock motors would really change the price at all. But do they really last longer in a motor than bushings? Do you get more RPM from bearings than bushings? Why don't 19T motors come with bushings? Inquiring minds want to know...

I already explained this one, but you have to understand manufacturing. If bushings vs. bearings increases $1, then we are talking about quite a significant number in it's affect on percentages. If you add 5% to cost of manufacturing, that's a lot when it trickles down through wholesale, distribution, retail, etc. It isn't just our RC Industry, it's how all manufacturing is, and if anything I would guess that the margins are fairly small compared to other industries of the same volume, so the affect would be large.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:08 PM   #23
Tech Elite

delete, double post
Old 04-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Rick,

orion used to offer a version of the core stock with bearings I don't recall how much was the price difference though... it very well might have been around $10...
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by edseb
I already explained this one, but you have to understand manufacturing. If bushings vs. bearings increases $1, then we are talking about quite a significant number in it's affect on percentages. If you add 5% to cost of manufacturing, that's a lot when it trickles down through wholesale, distribution, retail, etc. It isn't just our RC Industry, it's how all manufacturing is, and if anything I would guess that the margins are fairly small compared to other industries of the same volume, so the affect would be large.
Someone already posted it was like a $.23 difference. So if everyone that touches it add 5% and it changed hands 5 times then that is like
$.29 more.

Again, I wasnt looking for that level of detail. Was just trying to understand the history of it.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #26
Tech Champion

On the other hand Trinity sells the Epic X for 35 and the Epic XX for 44.99 so apparently they think its an $11 difference.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Someone already posted it was like a $.23 difference. So if everyone that touches it add 5% and it changed hands 5 times then that is like
$.29 more.

Again, I wasnt looking for that level of detail. Was just trying to understand the history of it.
No, you have to take that $.23 percentage from overall manufacturing costs and multiply that each step as well. So it's exponential from the first step...uh I think we are getting off on a tangent, but the final affect is significant.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by edseb
No, you have to take that $.23 percentage from overall manufacturing costs and multiply that each step as well. ...uh I think we are getting off on a tangent, but the final affect is significant.
No I dont think that is correct. The .23 plus a % isnt added along the way. Just the %. I work in distribution and at least in my industry that is how it works. May be different in RC though.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
No I dont think that is correct. The .23 plus a % isnt added along the way. Just the %. I work in distribution and at least in my industry that is how it works. May be different in RC though.
You are correct, that's what I was trying to say, that's why I said "that $.23 percentage." Anyway..
Old 04-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #30
Tech Elite

...plus that's a percentage based on original cost of manufacturing that carries through.