R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-22-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to beyondthepack
Default Is the Bar being raised TOO fast?...

It seems like every 4 to 5 months, there has been a new TC released. At first, I started in touring car because of the appeal, but now to stay competitive, it seems like you need the newest and improved. The rate that manufaucture's are sucking the money, I mean "developing new product", that we "have to have" its way out of control. Thats why i went to 1/12 scale. Honestly I would like to think that the bigger percentage of people out there would be happy with a product that can use, and look at a possible upgrade every 3 years. But the manufactures have taken advantage of a good thing and are sucking the life, or whats left of out of the touring car scene. Do you agree?
beyondthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

DON'T BELEIVE THE HYPE!
-Public Enemy
403forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

nope, exotic TCs were always out there. we got fat, dumb and happy when most everyone was running a TC3 or XXX-S. no one at that time, i was one wanted to get a Yokomo (the one Barry ran before the TC3), FK04, Pro3, Tamiya 414, Atlas YM34 (like 414 or FK04), Mission, MYO2 Monster and Atlas YM34 Si (precursors to the 415). no one wanted to have to stock their own parts and liked being able to go to as hobby shop and find what they needed for the car they owned. MOST hobbyshops can't stock parts for all the sedans out there. once racers got over the it's Losi or AE and looked outside the box....things changed. i noticed the change started around the time when Surikarn won the IFMAR Worlds with the Tamiya 414, also when Hara came into the lime lite over here.

Last edited by fast-ho-cars; 04-22-2007 at 08:59 PM.
fast-ho-cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I think this hobby stays alive by raising the bar. If we were still running AM radios, NiCd's, fiberglass chassis, ETC... This hobby would have no appeal or be no fun. Even though if is expensive, it is fun and that is what matters. By the way, there is a guy at my track that runs a HPI Pro 1, and is half a second off of the fast guy's lap times. Then again, I race 1/12th scale...
Old 04-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
Tech Adept

well

Last edited by civiceg; 01-02-2009 at 03:22 AM.
civiceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

the whole new TC every 6 months is pretty crazy.the changes seem to be cosmetic and gimic.i can count on 1 hand how many changes were made to TC in the past 5 years that have been a benefit in performance.the low CG war ended a long time ago.they keep getting lower top decks but the CG doesnt change much at all.this is why you see cars like the TC3 and FK04 still doing great.im sure the companies are really making a great effort to take leaps forward but there comes a time that it turns people away.the technology just doesnt seem to be advancing but the prices seem to.i have been running the same car for 2 years now.the car is still competitive and i am happy with it.i will be getting an MI3 because i feel it actually does have some performance enhancing changes.it is more with adjustments but it is very unique and i like the way it looks.i cant say if it will make me faster but it will increase my bench racing speed quite a bit.

before anyone gets pissed at what i said,i am not bashing these companies.i am saying this as a racer who is tired of spending alot of money on different versions of the same thing.if its not broken dont fix it or make a lower top deck for it.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:51 PM   #7
Tech Elite

First off your sadly mistaken if you think u need the newest car to stay competative... ITs funny how the TC3 managed to kick ass and win many races through about 5 or 6 versions of Tamiya,Xray and schumacher cars....

If your a hard core associated and Losi guy your happy as big in s*^(, cuz you dont feel pressure to buy since ther is nothing to buy.. If your running tamiya and xray your in it for the quality but no said you have to replace your car ever 6 months. To be honest the manufactures what u to feel that way so they can sell cars... Whats the old neckcar saying??? "RACE on sunday sell on monday" OR something along those lines...

And remember factory racers are not allowed to run the old chassis once they have been issued the latest version... They are to race it and make it win. not hang on to last months old news...

Unless your in the top 20 in the world you hardly need the latest untested chassis the moment it drops!

Club racers and so called local hot shots should get a few years out of car.... Well at least the AE and LOSI racers doo

Hey where is my T2'008?? My 007 is almost 6 months old... getting slower.. LOL
Old 04-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Tech Lord

it would be nice to stick with an older version of the cars but when a new car comes out,the local hobby stores keep up with them.they need to otherwise they will lose business as will the manufacturer.that being said,the parts availability goes down the tubes for the old cars.how can you run the old car if you have a hard time getting parts? its a double edged sword,all the cars are good enough to win at any level,it has and always will come down to parts support and that goes out the window when new kits are released or a short time after.
J Concepts
Old 04-22-2007, 09:01 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Thats why hobby shops will specialize in one brand only. They know that racers are picky cheap and change there minds all the time. So locally we got one shop pushing xray, another shumacher and another losi..
The xray dealer can sell u a part for anything back to the FOC
Old 04-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

I have had my Jrxs since it came out and It is just as competitve as the xrays and corallys in my area. Other people have jumped around and got new cars but I have had the same chassis all this time. But onroad is dead in Idaho now till about october then I will pick up a new car most likly a type r or mi3
Old 04-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #11
Tech Lord

yes,as will other companies but the problem is that most of the racers want to have the latest and greatest so the hobby stores need to cater to the majority.i know what you are saying but in a perfect world,people would be able to see that there is little to no benefit and only get the new car if the old one was worn out.most people like to feel like they have the latest and greatest.
J Concepts
Old 04-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #12
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

As much as we'd all love to believe RC stores and companies are here to further the sport thats bs! They are here to turn a profit. New cars, everyone must have = MORE profit!

The Hobby store owner will push what he can sell, to turn a profit! (He has to live too!)

At the end of the day, results sell cars, car sales make money.

If X Ray won a major event with a T1, who'd buy a T2?

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #13
Tech Lord

bingo
J Concepts
Old 04-22-2007, 09:15 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

First off your sadly mistaken if you think u need the newest car to stay competative... ITs funny how the TC3 managed to kick ass and win many races through about 5 or 6 versions of Tamiya,Xray and schumacher cars....

AE and Losi had a stout team at that time, Losi slipped into the Horizon and AE had someone steal the Thunder from the Tiger. abacadabra...gone. alot of their former drivers are now winning with the exotic TC's. Sort of like Barry when he was kicking butt with the Yokomo, kicked butt with the TC3 then seemed to fade (a little), appears he is back in force with the Xray. He is also doing killer with the Speedmerchant 12th car than he did with the 12l3/4.

from 2002...i myself have owned three sedans to date: TC3 (2 years), then a Pro4 (3 years) but after finally feeling the pressure of the belt, i am currently finishing up a Cyclone. i don't follow Jack OK, the price at Stormer helped also in my decision to change (not a shameless plug)
fast-ho-cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:51 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

I've been in this hobby for twenty years now and nothing compares to this SEDAN OF THE WEEK craze. When I started racing oval was the big thing, and there were only a handful of cars you could buy.

Then I got into off-road and there were three companies that offered competitive kits (LOSI, ASSOCIATED, & TRAXXAS). Before the t-maxx hype TRAXXAS sold both an electric buggy & truck that would run with the other two companies cars.

Since there are so many racers running sedan that don't have the skill and know how they just keep bouncing from car to car hoping that will make them faster. But what they need to do is spend a little time playing with set-up and getting more comfortable with the car have.
silky is offline   Reply With Quote