Old 04-20-2007, 02:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default where can I get some tribo tech comm drop

does anyone know where I can get some tribo tech comm drop? Thanks
Old 04-20-2007, 03:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I got mine from br00d when I ordered a motor from them and think rcmushroom sell it aswell but unsure if its in stock most of the time.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

BigJim had these guys offer the tribo in small bottles for RC guys, but I believe you can still get the regular container but I believe they were about $30.00

Tribotech Web site
Old 04-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Get some lamp oil and food coloring.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Nowhere they dont make them anymore, IMO and others can back this up, comm drops are not needed, and will actually hurt your comm and brushes if not used properly. If you do the basic motor maintinace, your motor will be at top performance.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The company is out of business....they don't answer calls or anything. The comm drop was VERY different than the orginal engine treatment, which would still work though. I never really used it much as a comm drop anyways.....made a awesome bushing lube though.....

If you need a comm drop, I suggest zubaks....

Later EddieO
Old 04-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

If you insist on using them like Eddie O said Zubaks Speed Drops I hear are good, but honestly you dont need them
Old 04-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by straightaway
does anyone know where I can get some tribo tech comm drop? Thanks
i have a small bottle i can send to you if you cover shipping..( i seperated the big bottle into smaller bottles) but it works pretty good as a bushing lube... id stay away from using it as a comm drop...

zubacks works well from what i hear. other local guys have similar (ruby, gator etc..)
Old 04-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Tech Adept

Those engine treatment stuff never work as advertised, Slick 50 along with other ones were tracked down by the FTC. Basically they can no longer use certain wordings/claims and they are going out of business.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I can tell you, I don't like COMM DROPS - but the late Jim Greenmeyer (BIGJIM) one of R/C's oldest motor builders painstakingly tried so many combos of drops...and got the best performance from TRIBO - there were others mixtures of stuff he said worked well too.

The KEY to making the TRIBO work was to 100% follow the instructions Jim used and suggested...

ZUBAK'S lube, PUTNAM'S lube, and FINISHLINE's LUBE all have very respectful results too...along w/ others

Originally Posted by from BigJim notes
Use Prolong straight, but Tribotech can be mixed with mineral spirits to thin it down a little. The stuff seems to vary in viscosity from bottle to bottle so start with 30% mineral spirits (turpentine). I have heard that some use it straight also.

Comm drops only work with certain types of brushes at best. Most comm drops on the market are crap. Try Prolong or Tribotech. These are oil treatment additives and work excellent with #4500's or 767's but not with a high silver content brush like the #4499's. And never for off-road. To much dirt. Use one of the above brushes with a red spring on the pos and a green on the neg. Drill a hole 1/8" deep in the center of the brush with #42 drill. Never put new brushes in a motor without cutting the comm first.

You can get Prolong Engine Treatment at most auto parts stores. You can get Tribotech at their web site at http://www.tribotech.com

A special note from BIG JIM: Since these original posts from the Team RCV forums, the Tribotech Company, the makers of the oil additive mentioned above, have released their own formula of commutator lubricant especially made for R/C motors. Their formulation far exceeds the usefulness of any automotive oil additive for comm drops. The TRIBO R/C Power Matrix Commutator Lubricant is the best stuff I have ever used. It works with any[ brush compound and is great for off-road too, since it has no petroleum products in it. It is 100% synthetic and doesn't attact dirt and dust nearly as badly as oily
Old 04-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big B
Nowhere they dont make them anymore, IMO and others can back this up, comm drops are not needed, and will actually hurt your comm and brushes if not used properly. If you do the basic motor maintinace, your motor will be at top performance.
if you plan on running silver can at SIR, i would highly recommend the tribo, ask doug if i ever used to win. and i didn't wash the motor every run
Old 04-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by skypilot
if you plan on running silver can at SIR, i would highly recommend the tribo, ask doug if i ever used to win. and i didn't wash the motor every run
I know there are a couple bottles floating around the pits, I may have to try that, Thanks