R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think it is 10 amps but don't quote me on that, I know it is no less than 8 amps
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #62
Tech Regular

Checkpoint specs.

I have been using an FMA Direct charger to charge my orion lipo. You can hook it to your laptop and graph the charge. When I first started charging it, the cells voltage to one another was really close. Now after about 10 charges, they charge at different rates. They still finish the same. After seeing this, I am thinking that charging on a non-balancing charger might not be such a good thing. I'm new to lipos but have read about everything I can find on them. I know that Orion says that you don't need to balance them, being only 2 cells, but I would think that charging both them through 1 connection and balance them occasionally, might shorten the life of the pack over time?? They also say you can charge them 1 at a time. So, why not just get a lipo only balance charger and be done with it.
gezer2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #63
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gezer2u
Checkpoint specs.

I have been using an FMA Direct charger to charge my orion lipo. You can hook it to your laptop and graph the charge. When I first started charging it, the cells voltage to one another was really close. Now after about 10 charges, they charge at different rates. They still finish the same. After seeing this, I am thinking that charging on a non-balancing charger might not be such a good thing. I'm new to lipos but have read about everything I can find on them. I know that Orion says that you don't need to balance them, being only 2 cells, but I would think that charging both them through 1 connection and balance them occasionally, might shorten the life of the pack over time?? They also say you can charge them 1 at a time. So, why not just get a lipo only balance charger and be done with it.
You are really on it good point.
The only balancing charger I know of is a venom and I really don't know much about that one, but most will have to be winged off of sub-c and the check point or ICE are the best bet for phasing into the next generation of batteries. Now if your starting out fresh with lipo best to research that point.
Also the reason most packs get out of balance is due to running them low.
I have never run mine more than 5 or 6 minutes at a time except rare occasions and they are perfectly balanced so far. (1 year). And no balancing. Also Orion has done some very serious testing to back up what Kokam said about the balancing.
It really isn't orion that stated they don't need balancing.
And if handled correctly and responsibly they to my knowledge so far haven't.
Later.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:26 AM   #64
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

If you go to a big race you will see most of the TOP drivers using turbo 35gfx, without being sponsored by CE. Most of the TOP guys not running it are sponsored by another company whose charger they use.....
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:19 PM   #65
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nickmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
im getting there
That's because you post nothing but meaningless one liners. Count one for me, I guess i'm cooler now.

Dumb
Old 04-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #66
Tech Regular

UN4- I agree with you that the ice and checkpoint is good to make the change over. When I said Orion said that they don't need to be balanced. I was refering to what MrBlack had said on the orion thread. You are right, it was Kokam that said that. Thanks for pointing that out. There are quit a few lipo chargers that balance charge. The Venom only charges at .75 amp. It would take a long time to charge a 3200. lol
gezer2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:10 AM   #67
Regional Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to ImGoinRCn

I was looking at a new charger as well. Looking at the Orion Advantage or the Integy 16x908. I am looking into lipos in the very near future like the 3200/4800 from Orion/Peak. I still use my 3700s and 4200s. Thanks for any and all input. BTW, I sold my T35BL and must say I was very well pleased with it and the service was very good.
X Factory R/C SCX-60CF
X Factory R/C X-6≤
ImGoinRCn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #68
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickmind
That's because you post nothing but meaningless one liners. Count one for me, I guess i'm cooler now.

Dumb
thats not really true.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #69
Regional Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to ImGoinRCn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoinRCn
I was looking at a new charger as well. Looking at the Orion Advantage or the Integy 16x908. I am looking into lipos in the very near future like the 3200/4800 from Orion/Peak. I still use my 3700s and 4200s. Thanks for any and all input. BTW, I sold my T35BL and must say I was very well pleased with it and the service was very good.
I bought the Orion from Nexus Racing, I've heard good things about it.
X Factory R/C SCX-60CF
X Factory R/C X-6≤
ImGoinRCn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:27 PM   #70
Tech Elite

im getting an orion for lipo's
and it can do motor's too
dose anyone have this charger and how is it.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote