R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
it just charges the battery's better thats it nothing more nothing less.
I'm not challenging you here but.....I don't know what that means?

If you and I both set our chargers to 6.5 amps with a delta peak of .04 and we charge the same battery pack, how does your charger do any better than mine?

Are you saying your charger will make your car go faster or run longer than mine?
chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:51 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well for the price, the ICE does Everything I need. It does Lipo perfectly for me for the past year and a half and two of them were cheaper than 1 of the GFX chargers. PLUS it has step charging. I really like the step charge especially with the impulse feature on for NiMH.

When I made the choice to sell my GFX and get two ICE chargers I worried at first that I no longer had the ability to discharge my packs at 35amps BUT with all the awesome disharge devices out there now it's no problem. I use a DPD and it tells me even more info about my pack than the GFX ever could.

Well, that's just my experience anyway.
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:53 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokenji
I'm not challenging you here but.....I don't know what that means?

If you and I both set our chargers to 6.5 amps with a delta peak of .04 and we charge the same battery pack, how does your charger do any better than mine?

Are you saying your charger will make your car go faster or run longer than mine?
the battery's will have more punch and go go
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nickmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
the battery's will have more punch and go go
I am just say at a 50 foot view, hipe

go go, is that a technical term. Or do you have facts to support your statement, or is that just a feeling you get? Like the feeling you get when you have something better then others, but you just paid more for the same thing??? Just a thought.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #20
Tech Addict

I still have my t35bl and use a pitbull x3 and couldnt be happier competition electronics products are worth the money and there is a reason why thier products far outnumber any other charger if you look around at most tracks. I have seen to many of the LRP chargers go up in smoke and having the ability to cycle and discharge @30+ amps is a plus considering I can go weeks without using a particular battery(6cell or 4 cell) as I alternate between oval and road course 12th scale and 10th scale etc so being able to cycle a pack is important to me.
The only other charger that for the money is one of the best buys out there and considering what it has for features and the qaulity of the charger is the Duratrax ice...
Jmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb
I use a DPD and it tells me even more info about my pack than the GFX ever could.

Sorry, but what is a DPD?

Thanks,
Old 04-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickmind
I am just say at a 50 foot view, hipe

go go, is that a technical term. Or do you have facts to support your statement, or is that just a feeling you get? Like the feeling you get when you have something better then others, but you just paid more for the same thing??? Just a thought.
no i got my gfx cheap

i to thought the gfx was hype but until i used it and drove my car i was in shock.

not to say that the ice,orion,and any other small cheap charger does not work,they do work.
but i do not like the DPD
Old 04-17-2007, 06:12 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickmind

Thanks,
the DPD is the discharger from trinity.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=Nickmind][QUOTE=jeffb] I use a DPD and it tells me even more info about my pack than the GFX ever could.
Quote:

Thanks,
Oh it is a Trinity Dyna Pulse discharger tray. It discharges each cell with 30amp pulses wich keeps the batteries fairly cool but still trains the cell to work under high amp loads. It also tells me the average voltage, IR and runtime/capacity of each cell individually so I know if I have a cell that is weaker than the rest.

There are other companies that have units like this out there as well including Much More, Team wave and possibly a few more.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The new Ice V2.0 ...oops...I mean O'Donnell Charger looks pretty impressive too...
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:33 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP
The new Ice V2.0 ...oops...I mean O'Donnell Charger looks pretty impressive too...

Ya, that is a nice charger and still at a good street price too.

Last edited by jeffb; 06-02-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #27
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=jeffb][QUOTE=Nickmind]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb
I use a DPD and it tells me even more info about my pack than the GFX ever could.

Oh it is a Trinity Dyna Pulse discharger tray. It discharges each cell with 30amp pulses wich keeps the batteries fairly cool but still trains the cell to work under high amp loads. It also tells me the average voltage, IR and runtime/capacity of each cell individually so I know if I have a cell that is weaker than the rest.

There are other companies that have units like this out there as well including Much More, Team wave and possibly a few more.
Oh i see. Is the novak discharge tray any good? Because that i was i bought all most a year ago.

thanks,
Old 04-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It's worth the extra $$ just to have the backlight without voiding your warranty.

The improved motor run, discharge, additional fan, etc are just gravy!
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:53 PM   #29
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The check point is sweet some new features. I have recently decided to stick with Duratrax ICE.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 08-21-2008 at 08:03 AM.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:30 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Well after hearing everyone today, I am leaning towards the Duratrax ICE. Can anyone tell if I am missing anything going with the ICE, that may be on the Orion Advantage or other?

GFX, I like feeling good. I too bought a very expensive keyboard (G15), because I am a gamer.
I am not knocking ANYONEs VIEW, of course you have much more experience then me. But I just don't see or hear other then opinions why GFX is better. Though your opinions maybe 100% true. I am not see any facts.

The one thing I love most about marketing, is the way to get people to buy. Like the saying "Keep the lines long", if people are standing and waiting I want in too. Just like price, AIR JORDANS are the best. Beucase after all Jordan himself had them.

Again just only my two cents.