R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-16-2008, 12:12 AM   #1171
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eg! View Post
The short arms are not exactly 1mm shorter than the standard arms. In fact the difference is not even the same front to rear. Check some of the more recent posts in the 416 thread for actual number...
That may explain why 1D, 1C and 1XA, 1E with short arms required very few changes when transitioning from the stock 1B, 1A and 1XB, 1D.
HI_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #1172
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rctouringracer

Are their any of you guys out there running your MS with 17.5 bl system running foam on carpet?
I would be interested in sharing my set-up in exchange for a set-up comparison to test to see if I can increase the performance of this MS.
Thx
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TA05MS-dsc01574.jpg  
rctouringracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #1173
PDR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Questions?? Handling under braking?

I've recently converted my 934 (49400) to a TA05MS with the swapping of the upper and lower decks and putting in a longer front belt. In essence, therefore, it's a TA05MS with the short reversible suspension.

My problem is that the rear of the car always swings around when trying to brake in a straight line, almost like it still wants to be a Porsche This is despite the fact that it's got a front one-way, so there's almost no braking at all from the front wheels. Other than that, it actually is quite responsive. Bizarre.

I need some advice on where to start to get this trait out of the car's handling. The supplied front springs in the 934 are firmer than the out-of-the box TA05MS, so maybe that's a factor.
PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #1174
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

take out the one-way and drop in a spool. the one-way causes the back wheels to lock, making it spin.

ben
Castle Hill Raceway
Futaba LRP Tekin
Cribbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #1175
PDR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll organise one and see how it changes things. The behaviour was pretty much the same with the standard diff, but you think the direct coupling will keep the back end planted?
PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:07 AM   #1176
mok
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mok Send a message via Skype™ to mok

with the one-way only the rear wheels can slow the car down
when it does this, the weight shifts forward and lifts the rear wheels allowing them to lock up and the car spins
with a spool or diff, the front wheels will also slow the car down and alleviate the issue of the rear wheel locking etc

you could also tune out some rear droop and hit the front with stiffer springs to reduce some of the forward weight shift under braking..
maybe then you could keep the one-way and all its benefits, but not have the drawbacks as much.

-Mark
Old 01-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #1177
Tech Elite

Hi everyone! My TA05MS will arrive anyday now...initially I wanted to get the R version of TA05 but after having a good deal with my LHS I decided to go with the MS. Now after reading this thread (not all pages) I m having doubt whether I have made a good choice. I understand the floating spur gear system is very problematic (causing rear belt wear) when you use a lower turn mod motor (I ll be using EZrun 5.5T by the way). Is there any way to solve this problem? Can I replace the floating spur gear system with the normal one? Or should I just cancel my order and get a 415 MSXX which is around the same price or get all out and get a 416 WE?
dameetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #1178
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
Hi everyone! My TA05MS will arrive anyday now...initially I wanted to get the R version of TA05 but after having a good deal with my LHS I decided to go with the MS. Now after reading this thread (not all pages) I m having doubt whether I have made a good choice. I understand the floating spur gear system is very problematic (causing rear belt wear) when you use a lower turn mod motor (I ll be using EZrun 5.5T by the way). Is there any way to solve this problem? Can I replace the floating spur gear system with the normal one? Or should I just cancel my order and get a 415 MSXX which is around the same price or get all out and get a 416 WE?
I run an Ez-run in mine and dont ever have issues with my belts. (Its been raced for over 6months). The car is fast and nimble. The floating shaft is fine, just keep an eye on it if you have a large crash and check that your spur doesnt wobble. (although mine has had some spectacular bangs and never had an issue).

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #1179
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i originally ran with a one-way but i was having the same problem. i tried all sorts of things, and as mok said stiffer springs at the front do help, but do not eliminate the problem completely (i never tried the droop, so it may work). This also changes the way the car handles. When i put in a spool the problem was fixed, and i havent run anything since on our track.

the spool you need is 53877. 3racing also have an aluminium one that lasted me 2 weeks

ben
Castle Hill Raceway
Futaba LRP Tekin
Cribbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #1180
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
I run an Ez-run in mine and dont ever have issues with my belts. (Its been raced for over 6months). The car is fast and nimble. The floating shaft is fine, just keep an eye on it if you have a large crash and check that your spur doesnt wobble. (although mine has had some spectacular bangs and never had an issue).
Is it the 5.5T Ezrun? With 2 cell Lipo I assume. What FDR are you using? Can you give specific pinion and spur gear no.? How does this car compare to 415 MSXX? Can you guys advice me coz I need to info my LHS to cancel or change my order ASAP. As far as price its almost the same here only the 416 WE is a bit higher. My background is Nitro touring and 1/8th scale on road so driving wise I think I m not a newbie however this will be my first electric touring car.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #1181
mok
Tech Master

The main difference between the TA05MS and the TRF416WE is the location of the motor. The TA05MS has it more midship (just behind centre) and the 416 has it situated in the rear.

A rear mounted motor will have more weight biased towards the rear, which can be good for racing modified touring as this will give the car more rear traction than a mid-mounted motor. That being said, if you're running stock or super stock you might want a car that transitions left/right easier which a mid motor would do.

Dont worry about the TA05MS drivetrain. I have been having issues with mine running a 3.5T and lipos that calculated out to 89560rpm, which is way too much for the MS drivetrain.
5.5T motors have around 6000kV which means you're be looking at the 45000rpm range and thats much more manageable.

-Mark
Old 01-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #1182
mok
Tech Master

Quote:
Is it the 5.5T Ezrun? With 2 cell Lipo I assume. What FDR are you using? Can you give specific pinion and spur gear no.?
this greatly depends on what track you are running on and its size etc...

short track might want an FDR around 9
long track might want an FDR around 6

with the included 34T pinion and 105T spur in the TA05MS kit, you'll have an FDR of 6.94
Old 01-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #1183
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mok View Post
The main difference between the TA05MS and the TRF416WE is the location of the motor. The TA05MS has it more midship (just behind centre) and the 416 has it situated in the rear.

A rear mounted motor will have more weight biased towards the rear, which can be good for racing modified touring as this will give the car more rear traction than a mid-mounted motor. That being said, if you're running stock or super stock you might want a car that transitions left/right easier which a mid motor would do.

Dont worry about the TA05MS drivetrain. I have been having issues with mine running a 3.5T and lipos that calculated out to 89560rpm, which is way too much for the MS drivetrain.
5.5T motors have around 6000kV which means you're be looking at the 45000rpm range and thats much more manageable.

-Mark
Thanks for a very quick reply Mark. Ok I ll proceed with the MS then. Thanks for clearing things up.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #1184
Tech Elite

One more thing can I use nitro foam rear tyres which is 30mm? Will there anything rubbing the suspension part like shocks or ball connector? If it does can I use drive hexes which has offset like 1mm or 2mm?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #1185
mok
Tech Master

Quote:
One more thing can I use nitro foam rear tyres which is 30mm? Will there anything rubbing the suspension part like shocks or ball connector? If it does can I use drive hexes which has offset like 1mm or 2mm?
Depending on how offset the rims are you might need a larger hex and/or wheel spacers..
Where the shock mounts on the lower arm may be too close to the rim/wheel (i've had this issue running the widest holes for the lower shock mount and 24mm rims/rubber)..
you might get away with using the 2nd widest hole and a 6mm hex with or without a 1mm wheel spacer..