R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-01-2008, 03:31 AM   #1021
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

How does the MS go straight out of the box? with a 13.5 on asphalt?

Cheers
Fast XXXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #1022
Tech Master

Hi All

I've just bought a ta05ms. I am going to race it on an indoor carpet track. The track is quite small and most of the best racers use 19T (specifically team orion V2's). I've been doing really well with my std ta05 and winning the stock races (against cyclones etc) but I want to take on the big boys.

The only concern I have is that one of the guys there reckons the ta05ms is a dud and is useless for anything other than stock as it cannot use the extra speed. Does anyone have any particular advice for setting the car up to run well with a 19t motor?

For my std ta05 I use Gekko tyres (exceptional grip) and have quite a stiff setup. I'm taking the tyres with me but think I should soften the setup as the chassis will be much stiffer.

Cheers
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:36 AM   #1023
Tech Regular

The MS model is much quicker than the standard or R TA05. The TA05MS will probably be very quick on carpet, especially with 19 turn. I just got a chance to run my 05MS on a high grip asphalt track with a 13.5 brushless and the car was excellent.
HI_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:36 AM   #1024
mok
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mok Send a message via Skype™ to mok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
Hi All

I've just bought a ta05ms. I am going to race it on an indoor carpet track. The track is quite small and most of the best racers use 19T (specifically team orion V2's). I've been doing really well with my std ta05 and winning the stock races (against cyclones etc) but I want to take on the big boys.

The only concern I have is that one of the guys there reckons the ta05ms is a dud and is useless for anything other than stock as it cannot use the extra speed. Does anyone have any particular advice for setting the car up to run well with a 19t motor?

For my std ta05 I use Gekko tyres (exceptional grip) and have quite a stiff setup. I'm taking the tyres with me but think I should soften the setup as the chassis will be much stiffer.

Cheers
I race indoor on carpet with rubber tyres and have used both the TA05 and TA05MS with good results.

I found the TA05 to be excellent for stock classes and once I had some necessary upgrades (TRF dampers, reversible suspension, universals) I found it to be a very strong performer.

I have since moved to a TA05MS and have run it in a 13.5 brushless class and now in modified touring, where I am setting some of the quickest lap times and leading the current championship leg in a field comprising of current race chassis (xrays, cyclones, TRFs etc). That is also with a 3.5 brushless that I was told was too quick for our track.

With the right setup for your track the TA05MS in my opinion is definately a contender in both stock and modified classes, on carpet or asphalt.

I personally would start out with a similar setup to what you run on your TA05 and when you move to 19T you'll prob just need to make some minor adjustments to your setup to handle the increased speed/power (toe, camber, droop etc). A diff in the front also helps a great deal, unless the front one way is an absolute must at your track.

Point being, dont let the nay-sayers stop you

-Mark
mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #1025
Tech Champion

Only on my own experiences, but with foams...

I use a regular ta05, with 3racing graphite chassis and towers/trf shocks, and have used it with soft foams indoors with a relatively average spring rate.

The stiff chassis makes the car transition left to right quickly, the soft foams give the car its grip. So combined, you have a car that can be placed anywhere on the track, has excellent low speed grip and with the right gear ratio, you are dialled The stock '05 chassis is too flexable for ideal use with foams if you want to be at the sharp end of qualifying.

So, A Stiff chassis with Soft suspension and soft foams is a no no.

A stiff chassis, with average suspension and soft suspension will find the apexs better but may feel like it will tip if you're carrying too much speed into the corner, as the spring rate is allowing it to work a little too much.

So, in essence you might find a stiff chassis, with hard suspension and soft foams better but that may scrub the tyres up too much, or tip it over.

Trial and errror, get the laps in and see what feel is best for you. 3 hole pistons are a good starting point, as is 40wt all round on yellow springs if you need one.

If all else fails and you have to, use what you know is good

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:46 PM   #1026
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

What are you guys using for battery straps? As I dont wanna be tapping in my cells each time i charge.
Fast XXXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #1027
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Then you'll be happy to know it comes with a battery strap...

94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:00 PM   #1028
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

got my MS 2nd hand... it didn't come with the J-parts set (stick pack battery guides/guards). anybody know where i can get a set?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:22 AM   #1029
mok
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast XXXS View Post
What are you guys using for battery straps? As I dont wanna be tapping in my cells each time i charge.
Hehe dont be afraid.. its only tape :P

Seriously though, I thought taping the packs in was going to be a nightmare. I charge my packs before race night and then top each pack up after taping them into the car prior to each race.

Turns out its a really easy process and (when done right) I can get away with using only a single piece of tape for a whole night's racing (practice, 2 quals, 2 finals). Although that being said, I am finding that when racing outdoors on asphalt I use 2 pieces of tape as more dust/dirt gets stuck to the tape.

-Mark
Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #1030
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

whats the stock spur on the car?
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #1031
mok
Tech Master

The car comes with the .04 module 105T spur and 34T pinion.

Given the internal ratio is 2.25, this gives the TA05MS an FDR of 6.94:1 out of the box.

-Mark
Old 06-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #1032
Tech Master

Thanks for that. Still tweakign the set-up and I'm also lookign at using tape for the batteries as my cells are side by side. My race is on thursday so I will see how it all goes then
Old 06-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #1033
Tech Master

double post
Old 06-21-2008, 01:54 AM   #1034
Tech Master

Hi All

The car was fast, but my electrics let me down

I want a centre one-way for the car. Do I get the TA05 one or the porsche 934 one-way (as the car uses the same motor mount etc)? or are they the same?

help!

Cheers
C
Old 06-21-2008, 01:56 AM   #1035
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
Hi All

The car was fast, but my electrics let me down

I want a centre one-way for the car. Do I get the TA05 one or the porsche 934 one-way (as the car uses the same motor mount etc)? or are they the same?

help!

Cheers
C
Get the porsche one.

Kevin
kavadni is offline   Reply With Quote