Like Tree1Likes

Tamiya TA05MS

Reply

Old 05-20-2007, 11:47 AM
  #46  
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,909
Default

I find it interesting that Tamiya have created a "floating" layshaft with this complex cantilevered bulkhead, whereas Schumacher's floating layshaft on the Mi3 is nothing but a single fixed post.

Time will tell which is more efficient and reliable - I know what my money is on!
sosidge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:42 PM
  #47  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 454
Default

I am sure the Tamiya center shaft will work better than the Mi3 one. I have the Porsche 934 and the that section is strongly built.
trf_racer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:23 PM
  #48  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (26)
 
yyhayyim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Weston, FL
Posts: 3,424
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by trf_racer
I am sure the Tamiya center shaft will work better than the Mi3 one. I have the Porsche 934 and the that section is strongly built.
The only way to be sure is to actually test both systems and compare...have you done that? No...so how are you sure? Time will tell, along with testing and experimenting- get both cars and test them over a few months and compare results and then post what you find.
yyhayyim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:28 PM
  #49  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,818
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
The only way to be sure is to actually test both systems and compare...have you done that? No...so how are you sure? Time will tell, along with testing and experimenting- get both cars and test them over a few months and compare results and then post what you find.
Hammer hits nail on the head
JayBee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:34 PM
  #50  
Regional Moderator
iTrader: (9)
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kansas City, KS
Posts: 9,045
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Anytime people see something they haven't seen before(in this case, floating layshafts), they doubt it. At the same time, everyone complains about the lack of innovation in the TC market. Make up your mind people. Be happy to see something new and different and trust that the companies' have done their R&D properly, or stop complaining about how 'all cars look alike'.

As for which will work "better". How can one work "better" than the other? Its a frickin' layshaft, not a set of tires. If both of them hold the gears on and don't move, then they've pretty much achieved their goal.

One things for sure though, only ONE of these layshaft designs has been tested under heavy (brushless 4.5) modified racing use, and months and months of ON TRACK abuse. And that's the Mi3 layshaft. The only action the other has seen has been as a 'collectors item'. So how could you be sure the Tamiya design will work better.

As I said though, were talking about layshafts here people. The term 'works better' doesn't really apply. Its like talking about turnbuckles. One turnbuckle doesn't work 'better' than the other. As long as they don't break, its pretty much golden!
Darkseid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:38 PM
  #51  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (101)
 
Core Creations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,918
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

...and once my MS is here we'll put them both through the ringer!!
Originally Posted by Darkseid
Anytime people see something they haven't seen before(in this case, floating layshafts), they doubt it. At the same time, everyone complains about the lack of innovation in the TC market. Make up your mind people. Be happy to see something new and different and trust that the companies' have done their R&D properly, or stop complaining about how 'all cars look alike'.

As for which will work "better". How can one work "better" than the other? Its a frickin' layshaft, not a set of tires. If both of them hold the gears on and don't move, then they've pretty much achieved their goal.

One things for sure though, only ONE of these layshaft designs has been tested under heavy (brushless 4.5) modified racing use, and months and months of ON TRACK abuse. And that's the Mi3 layshaft. The only action the other has seen has been as a 'collectors item'. So how could you be sure the Tamiya design will work better.

As I said though, were talking about layshafts here people. The term 'works better' doesn't really apply. Its like talking about turnbuckles. One turnbuckle doesn't work 'better' than the other. As long as they don't break, its pretty much golden!
Core Creations is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:19 PM
  #52  
Regional Moderator
iTrader: (9)
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kansas City, KS
Posts: 9,045
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Core Creations
...and once my MS is here we'll put them both through the ringer!!


Its going to be one hell-a-of season! I probably missed it, but whats the eta on the MS?
Darkseid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:39 PM
  #53  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (101)
 
Core Creations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,918
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

I think sometime in July.
Core Creations is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:21 PM
  #54  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
TA05ers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 76
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

After reading the comments I went to take a look at the Porsche's pic. Only that I noticed that the center layshaft is floating. Assuming, and I believe it is, that the Porsche's and the MS is similar in this department. I am a little concern.

I have had problem of a wobbly spur in my 05. Which I feel will affect the overall efficieny and transmission from the motor. Solved the problem by putting 4 screws, instead of 2 as stated on the manual, to tighten up the spur to the pulley.

When I found out about the floating layshaft, I am a little concern. Probably not when you are racing the 23-T stock, but if you throw in a modified or a brushless 4.5. This may raise a few concerns. The power transmitting at that area is simply immense. You need it to be sturdy at all times!

I am not sceptical here, I love new designs and I love the 05. And I am sure that Tamiya have tested and 'abused' it thoroughly and decided that this car is durable and race worthy!!

What the heck, I will still get one come July!!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05MS-gallery_5.jpg  
TA05ers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:51 PM
  #55  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (101)
 
Core Creations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,918
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

I'm sure it's had extensive testing so...I'd also add that I'd bet no more than 25% of that shaft is floating on that end. The other much longer end is ddep within the motor mount. I'll bet it will be fine.

If your spur is wobbling with 2 screws, I'd bet they weren't tightened equally. After rebuilding this cars driveline at least a couple dozen times over the last 2 years I can confirm that WILL happen. I tighten each of the 2 screws just snug, then put the same amount of turns in each one to finish. My spur runs very true.
Originally Posted by TA05ers
After reading the comments I went to take a look at the Porsche's pic. Only that I noticed that the center layshaft is floating. Assuming, and I believe it is, that the Porsche's and the MS is similar in this department. I am a little concern.

I have had problem of a wobbly spur in my 05. Which I feel will affect the overall efficieny and transmission from the motor. Solved the problem by putting 4 screws, instead of 2 as stated on the manual, to tighten up the spur to the pulley.

When I found out about the floating layshaft, I am a little concern. Probably not when you are racing the 23-T stock, but if you throw in a modified or a brushless 4.5. This may raise a few concerns. The power transmitting at that area is simply immense. You need it to be sturdy at all times!

I am not sceptical here, I love new designs and I love the 05. And I am sure that Tamiya have tested and 'abused' it thoroughly and decided that this car is durable and race worthy!!

What the heck, I will still get one come July!!
Core Creations is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:03 PM
  #56  
Regional Moderator
iTrader: (9)
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kansas City, KS
Posts: 9,045
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

The key on all spurs is to not over tighten the screws. If your worried about not having the screws tight enough, just put a dab of thread lock on the tips, then snug them down. That way you can be sure they wont fall out, but still aren't too tight.
Darkseid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:01 PM
  #57  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,921
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TA05ers
After reading the comments I went to take a look at the Porsche's pic. Only that I noticed that the center layshaft is floating. Assuming, and I believe it is, that the Porsche's and the MS is similar in this department. I am a little concern.

I have had problem of a wobbly spur in my 05. Which I feel will affect the overall efficieny and transmission from the motor. Solved the problem by putting 4 screws, instead of 2 as stated on the manual, to tighten up the spur to the pulley.

When I found out about the floating layshaft, I am a little concern. Probably not when you are racing the 23-T stock, but if you throw in a modified or a brushless 4.5. This may raise a few concerns. The power transmitting at that area is simply immense. You need it to be sturdy at all times!

I am not sceptical here, I love new designs and I love the 05. And I am sure that Tamiya have tested and 'abused' it thoroughly and decided that this car is durable and race worthy!!

What the heck, I will still get one come July!!
4 screws is not necessarily needed. for the TA05, make sure you install the spur so that the set screw that holds the center shaft is across the two screws. not on the same hole. if its in the same hole, the spur will wobble. having it across from the set screw will help the balance. also check to see if your spur isnt bent to begin with
Hebiki is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:01 PM
  #58  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,447
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I don't think there should be too much concern with the floating lay shaft. Think of it like an axle for the front or rear of the car. That's like a floating lay shaft. And the grip of the tires and cornering forces places a heavy load on the axles and bearings. And they hold up just fine as long as there are no heavy crashes or impacts to the wheels.
JimmyMac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:34 AM
  #59  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
TA05ers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 76
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Anyone knows if the TA05MS is being used by any of the Tamiya factory drivers in the on-going Reedy?
TA05ers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:16 PM
  #60  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 104
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Price

Just saw a pre-order on a Japanese site for a little over 43,000 yen, Has anyone heard was RC Champs price is yet, I emailed last week and they did not have one yet.
cutwo is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service