R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-15-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default Spintec ICC or Turbo GFX 35?

I'm still using my Reedy Quasar Pros, but cant help but think I might be missing out on an advantage by not having one of these. Just wanted to hear some of your opinions (pros & cons) on the 2 chargers.
t4ftracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Read the entire ICC thread. Great idea. But quality was not so good.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've had both... I kept the ICC.

Depends on where you are going to use the charger - here are my +/- for the ICC: (+'s)
- Awesome charge on each every pack - both new and old. I found that it brought my old packs back to life. No longer is a charge limited by one weaker cell in the pack.
- You can see weak cells based on charging and re-match your packs based on the volts and milli-amps the cells take.
- Once you learn to use the charger, it works like a clock.
- Customer service seems to be good - great support.
- Frequent updates - you don't have to send the charger in to get software updates.

(-'s)
- The charger is a little fragile but as long as you are careful with it, you are fine.

GFX (+'s)
- A longstanding favorite with top racers
- Proven performer, durable.
- Good charges - seems to bring some dead packs back to life
- 35 AMP discharge
- Lots of data (including charts)

(-'s)
- Why is the case so damn big... there is nothing in there that needs a giant case?

Either chargers are going to be a good choice. If you need something more durable - get the GFX... if you want the latest tech, get the ICC.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:19 AM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

In terms of "future prospect" i would definately go for the ICC. I bought one of the first ones that arrived in HK, and I have not regretted getting it!

You have to becareful putting the pack in, that is a MUST!

I have not owned a gfx 35 before, but I think the icc would be the charger to get for several reasons:

1. the gfx 35 to my knowledge charges batteries using the same way as all other chargers. but the icc charges each cell individually. Theoretically, this should be better for your pack, (cause you don't over charge).

2. free software updates. At the moment, the icc cannot do very much... and its still sortof in the debugging phase, but if we can do pc updates with this charger, that means, one day... just maybe... it will be capable of sending data to a computer and u can draw all the charts you like on the computer.

3. lipo possibility. it claims it will be able to charge lipos, ... but how hard, and how well remains to be undetermined. But that means when the 6cell concept dies, OR if u have a lipo transmitter pack or something, the ICC will be useful.

4. multi-tasking. Although still buggy sometimes, you can run in a motor and charge batteries at the same time, or charge 2 packs at the same time. these are all good functions I enjoy on the ICC.

A few more updates, and this charger should be awesome.
Spintec
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:48 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

ICC= my friend just bought one a few months back and has already sold it, he was not up for the debugging

GFX= the case is that big because its a work horse and has never needed customer beta testing or debugging

I dont think your really missing much, if you run quality matched cells now and use a DPD you can do the rematching that way... Neither have built in power like your quasars and the ICC is only 10 amp discharge...

I own a quasar and an APS with a DPD and smart tray... pretty much all u need with some quality cells. For the 400$ to go to one of these units you could buy alot more stuff that will make u faster on the track..

PS i used to own a T35BL. loved it, was big, and trying to pack lite was impossible... so i sold..
Old 04-16-2007, 05:08 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

HEY TF4TRACER,

IN MY OPINION IT ALL DEPENDS IF ARE HAVING A BATTERY WAR WITH THE OTHER RACERS.

IN OTHER WORDS, YOU ARE RIGHT THERE WITH THEM ON MOTOR, DRIVING, HANDLING, BUT THEY ARE STILL EATING YOUR LUNCH BECAUSE YOU BATTERIES FALL OFF A LITTLE BEFORE THEIRS AND YOU NEED TO GET MORE CONCENTRATED ON THE BATTERIES.

IF THAT BE THE CASE THEN A ICC COMES IN HANDY. I HAVE OWNED 8 GFX'S. FIRST THE 1.5 BLUE SCREENS AND THEN I UPGRADED TO THE 1.6 YELLOW SCREENS OVER THE WINTER. I LOVE THE GFX AND WOULD NEVER PART WITH EITHER ONE I HAVE NOW.

I HAVE LOOKED INTO THE ICC BUT I AM GOING TO GIVE IT A LITTLE MORE TIME AND SEE HOW IT FAIRS OUT. TOO MANY ISSUES RIGHT NOW TO WORK ON IT AND MY CAR AT THE TRACK. AND YOU DON'T NEED CHARGER ISSUES ON TOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE WHEN YOU ARE RACING. THE GFX IS PRETTY STABLE AS FAR AS WHAT IT WILL DO, HOW WELL IT HOLDS UP, ETC.

I AM NOT KNOCKING THE ICC, I AM SIMPLY STATING THEY NEED MORE TIME TO GET THE BUGS WORKED OUT BEFORE I CAN SEE INVESTING THAT KIND OF DOUGH INTO ONE. IF THE GFX HAD THE CAPABILITY OF DISCHARGING AND REMATCHING CELLS,AND CHARGING EACH CELL INDIVIDUALLY, THE GFX WOULD BE "THE" CHARGER. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL BE SOMETHING THAT C.E. MIGHT ONE DAY COME OUT WITH.

HOPE THIS HELPS !!

MARCEL
FUJIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

thanks guys, that actually helped! Joel, when/how often do you use the DPD? I also use the smart tray and have a dpd. I'm about to spring for 10-12 new high end packs, so maybe I'll just stay with my current hardware.
t4ftracer is offline   Reply With Quote