R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-14-2007, 10:24 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill
The timing rings (old and new, black or colored) on the 13.5 motors are not "locked". They are all adjustable about 1/8" in each direction. Please go to the Team Novak website to read what the "locked" term applies to. It's something else.

The Team Novak website also has a Motor Tech article to help race directors determine the "Motor Compliance" of a BL with an Inductance Meter.
I COULDN'T FIND "LOCKED" BILL , WHAT DOES IT MEAN ??

ALSO, AREN'T INDUCTANCE METERS EXPENSIVE TO PURCHASE ??

I THINK THIS "RING" IDEA WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE FROM THE START BUT NOW YOU HAVE TONS OF OLDER MOTORS AND PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BE PISSED TO SET THEIR OLDER 13.5'S IN THE PIT BOX JUST TO GO AND BUY A NEW ONE WITH A COLORED RING.

I GUESS WHAT I SHOULD ASK IS HOW ARE TRACKS THAT YOU GUYS ATTEND HANDLING THIS NEW SITUATION WITH 2 DIFFERENT MOTORS AND RINGS AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF ?
FUJIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:29 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVFracingwilly
The orange ring is not "locked" it is just colored to make teching easier. With that said I advanced the timing on my 13.5 tonight, the benifit is marginal at best It want really even worth a tenth on the track.
Depending on the track layout, I would give it a tenth on a track with a longer straight after advancing the timing from the neutral (middle) to the fully advanced position. Couldn't tell much difference on a smaller track. Literally no temperature change in either case with a 13.5.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:33 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Quote:
Depending on the track layout, I would give it a tenth on a track with a longer straight after advancing the timing from the neutral (middle) to the fully advanced position. Couldn't tell much difference on a smaller track. Literally no temperature change in either case with a 13.5.
MY PROBLEM WITH THE TIMING WAS WHICH WAY I TURNED IT. I CAN'T REMEMBER NOW WHICH WAY I DID BUT WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO ADVANCE IT ?

FROM LOOKING AT THE BACKSIDE OF THE MOTOR, CLOCKWISE OR COUNTERCLOCKWISE. MINE IS SET TO THE MIDDLE AFTER I HAD THAT LITTLE INCIDENT !! HAHAHA

MARCEL
FUJIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #34
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This is what Charlie at Novak wrote.
The new motors do not have "Fixed" timing. Just the colored "non removable" ring. Not "non movable". Non Removable. .

I guess we will have to ask Charlie, I bet he comes threw here some time and clears it up.
And I also heard it was so marginal it doesn't matter.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:47 PM   #35
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUJIMO
I COULDN'T FIND "LOCKED" BILL , WHAT DOES IT MEAN ??

ALSO, AREN'T INDUCTANCE METERS EXPENSIVE TO PURCHASE ??

I THINK THIS "RING" IDEA WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE FROM THE START BUT NOW YOU HAVE TONS OF OLDER MOTORS AND PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BE PISSED TO SET THEIR OLDER 13.5'S IN THE PIT BOX JUST TO GO AND BUY A NEW ONE WITH A COLORED RING.

I GUESS WHAT I SHOULD ASK IS HOW ARE TRACKS THAT YOU GUYS ATTEND HANDLING THIS NEW SITUATION WITH 2 DIFFERENT MOTORS AND RINGS AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF ?
When I run the old one. I run against the new ones, I don't really see the difference.
As long as it has the sintered rotor in it.
Also every one at the track has sintered rotors. As a matter of fact all of my motors have the sintered rotors in them. I wouldn't own a motor with out one.
And I'll take it further than that!
Until all the competitors can put sintered rotors in I wouldn't consider any other motor or speedo other than a Novak.
Its simply the best dang one in the market.
I am curious to see how long the rotors last in some of these new motors in the market. The sintered rotor is tried and true for longevity.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:59 PM   #36
Tech Champion

Quote:
WELL I WENT BACK OVER TO NOVAK AND YOU RIGHT IT DOESN'T MENTION A LOCKED RING BUT I KNOW I READ THAT SOMEWHERE. MIGHT HAVE BEEN TOWER, CAN'T REMEMBER. I KNOW I SAW IT BECAUSE I THOUGHT "WHY" ??
LOL LOL

LIKE YOU SAID, THE GAIN IS MINIMAL AND WITH MY CASE I WENT THE WRONG WAY WITH THE RING AND NOTICED A SHARP DROP OF POWER NEAR THE END OF THE HEAT.

I JUST HOPE MY LOCAL TRACK DOESN'T MAKE US START RUNNING THESE. I WILL PROBABLY NEVER GO TO A NATIONAL OR SANCTIONED RACE SO I HAVE NO WORRIES THERE.

MARCEL
Marcel,

This is what the term "locked" actually applies to per a downloaded Instruction Sheet on the Novak site...

"...locked rotor and thermal protection to allow pack after pack to be run without fear of damaging the motor, battery, or speed control."

Here in NorCal, the great majority of us have the original 13.5 cans (with sintered rotors added) and the black timing rings. So, there is no checking going on at this point in time.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #37
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
The timing rings (old and new, black or colored) on the 13.5 motors are not "locked". They are all adjustable about 1/8" in each direction. Please go to the Team Novak website to read what the "locked" term applies to. It's something else.

The Team Novak website also has a Motor Tech article to help race directors determine the "Motor Compliance" of a BL with an Inductance Meter.
Right, & also another way for us to tell quickly which rotor the motor has is to physically turn it by hand, if the motor has the original bonded rotor, it'll feel very smooth(no cogging), but with the sintered one you will notice a little cogging, because of the strength of the magnet in it. It's even noticable with the motor in a car, just try rotating the spur on it & you'll feel the difference....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:03 PM   #38
Tech Champion

Quote:
MY PROBLEM WITH THE TIMING WAS WHICH WAY I TURNED IT. I CAN'T REMEMBER NOW WHICH WAY I DID BUT WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO ADVANCE IT ?

FROM LOOKING AT THE BACKSIDE OF THE MOTOR, CLOCKWISE OR COUNTERCLOCKWISE. MINE IS SET TO THE MIDDLE AFTER I HAD THAT LITTLE INCIDENT !! HAHAHA

MARCEL
From that end of the motor (backside), the rotor is spinning clockwise. So, you would move the ring counterclockwise to advance the timing.

Should be able to move it approximately 1/8" in either direction from the middle.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:17 PM   #39
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Right, & also another way for us to tell quickly which rotor the motor has is to physically turn it by hand, if the motor has the original bonded rotor, it'll feel very smooth(no cogging), but with the sintered one you will notice a little cogging, because of the strength of the magnet in it. It's even noticable with the motor in a car, just try rotating the spur on it & you'll feel the difference....
I really don't think the rotors are what needs to be teched? I think its the cans?
If you have a rotor rule and it restricts the sintered rotor then I doubt anyone would want to run that class?
Besides who would run the stock rotor? dang things thermal.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:19 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Good point. But, the sintered rotor in the 13.5 motor is accepted at all stock class racing venues here in NorCal. So, we don't need to check for them.

Yes, NorCal handles this which rotor issue in a way to make it a non-issue.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:36 PM   #41
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING
I think its the cans?
Exactly!

So, when someone decides to create rules for these motors (ROAR?), we with black rings WILL be buying replacement cans with pretty pastel colored rings. At that point, I will have replaced all the parts (rotor, endbell and can) associated with my two original 13.5 motor purchases.

Isn't Novak marketing great? But, please don't get me wrong because I love brushless motor technology.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:47 PM   #42
Tech Lord

Now thats a good point. And a very serious dilemma HUH? Thats a rule that will have to be bent and on the honor of the racer.
Also I think they can weigh them possibly?
If the 13.5 weighs x amount and 4300 weighs x amount that might be a solution?
I'll go to the Novak site and see if I can dig some thing up.

Well we can rule out weighing them. 6.61 oz.

http://teamnovak.com/products/brushl...spec_chart.htm
Old 04-14-2007, 11:52 PM   #43
Tech Champion

Simple! Inductance meter can tell per Novak's Technical Info posting.

Found them under $50 on eBay.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:58 PM   #44
Tech Lord

I would say they have foreseen this and thats why they changed the format to better tech them.
Maybe there marketing is good. They are getting ready to place rules and that is one stipulation they will have to have in order to tech them, looks like they are on top of getting things legal that we can be sure as racers to get a fair race.
This is good if we view it the right way?
I could always use a back up on club nights.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:00 AM   #45
Tech Lord

Quote:
Simple! Induction meter can tell per Novak's Technical Info posting.
You are the man. You have single handed found the fix.
You should be on the board when making the rules Bravo.
The owner of our track was going to buy one just for that reason.
I forgot all about that.