R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Droop setup

Hi,

Lately I've been having trouble setting the up travel on my car (Corally RDX).

I start by setting the ride height (5mm) then I adjust the up travel to 2mm front and 3mm rear. When it's done, the ride height of the car is now 4mm or so at the front. Looks like there is some sort of flex in the arm or the part of the chassis where the droop screws sit.

I measure the ride height and the up travel with a AE ride height gauge. For the up travel, I place the chassis on the desired height (7mm at the front; 5mm + 2mm) and adjust the screw until the tires leave the ground.

Is this normal ? How can I manage to avoid this ? Should I use a different method to measure the up travel ?

Thanks for your help.

Fred.
Frederic Lagueu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
Suspended

[QUOTE=Frederic Lagueu]Hi,

Lately I've been having trouble setting the up travel on my car (Corally RDX).

I start by setting the ride height (5mm) then I adjust the up travel to 2mm front and 3mm rear. When it's done, the ride height of the car is now 4mm or so at the front. Looks like there is some sort of flex in the arm or the part of the chassis where the droop screws sit.

I measure the ride height and the up travel with a AE ride height gauge. For the up travel, I place the chassis on the desired height (7mm at the front; 5mm + 2mm) and adjust the screw until the tires leave the ground.

Is this normal ? How can I manage to avoid this ? Should I use a different method to measure the up travel ?

Just lose the up-travel part and measure the droop with a AE or HPI droop gauge and be done with it..

The up-travel thing was mad up my madd carpet racers that were stuck in a hobby shop during a snow storm with snow drifts as high as the Empire state building..

Take your shocks off your car and measure your droop from the bottom of the arm..5mm in front 4mm in back..

Put your shocks back on and make sure the droop screws are hitting the chassis when the car is off the ground..

Try that and get back to me..

Laters,

Bitter
CAlbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
Tech Master

Using a droop gague will only work if you are only running rubber tires that keep a consistant diameter. If you are running foams you need to measure uptravel since changing tire diameter affects the setting. It sounds like you are setting it right I am not sure how it is changing your ride height tho. Maybe a picture of your car could help us figure it out for ya.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:20 AM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedie
Using a droop gague will only work if you are only running rubber tires that keep a consistant diameter. If you are running foams you need to measure uptravel since changing tire diameter affects the setting. It sounds like you are setting it right I am not sure how it is changing your ride height tho. Maybe a picture of your car could help us figure it out for ya.
Sounds like hes screwing the droop screws in to tight and lowering the ride height?
Thats the only thing I can think of?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

I would say if your ride height is dropping and your not touching the shock collars then your droop screws are probably bottoming out and actually compressing the shocks. If tried both methods and I find actually measuring the up travel with a ruler to be more accurate than adjusting droop screws while sitting on a ride height gauge.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
TEM
Tech Regular

Forget the droop gauge. Set the ride height. Point the front end of the car towards yourself; move it as close to the setup board as possible. Use a small metal ruler, hold it vertically under the car as if you are measuring ride height. See where the board surface meets the ruler marking (ie 5mm which will be your ride height). Lift the car with the ruler and see when both wheels lift off the board. It should be uptravel+rideheight (ie, in your face, a total of 8mm?). Repeat for the rear.
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Thanks everyone for your replies... much appreciated

I'll try your suggestions and see what seems to work better...

And sorry, I forgot to mention, I'm running foam.

See ya!

F.
Frederic Lagueu is offline   Reply With Quote