R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   need help with novak brushless (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/15873-need-help-novak-brushless.html)

Elk666 04-05-2003 11:13 AM

need help with novak brushless

1 Attachment(s)
hi, yesterday i received my brand new super sport novak brushless, i just set it up, now i try it and the bearing that is on the end where the shaft comes out is getting loose and slides back into the cassing.
i opened the motor and took the shaft out, now on the other end of the shaft (the rear end) there is a metal ring that prevent the bearing from coming loose.
on the front end of the motor there is no ring to prevent the bearing from coming loose.
an someone that has a novak brushless confirm that novak forgot to put that infamous ring when they assembled it leaving a 1/4" to 3/8" gap between the bearing and magnet?
here's a picture of the open motor showing the back ring and no ring on the front end.

Elk666 04-05-2003 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
picture of loose gap of about 1/4" where the bearing slides in and shaft becomes loose

Elk666 04-05-2003 02:23 PM

*bump*
anyone please!?
this is driving me nuts, brand new kit didn't even run it yet :cry:

corwin 04-05-2003 02:49 PM

Have a brushless motor also from Novak.

Took the front endbell of my own unit when I first got it.

And yes there was a metal ring on front also, same as the back might be a different length though.

Warning with the Novak Brush motor do not run car in the air, then put the brakes quickly on will cause something in unit to blow. Couple people in our club do this and their brushless motors will run no longer properly.

Elk666 04-05-2003 02:57 PM

THANK YOU corwin!!!
i guess the guy who build the motor that day had a few too many beers for lunch :mad: :mad:

corwin 04-05-2003 03:10 PM

Would guess so, good thing you have not had a chance to run it and maybe make the mistake others have made with their own units.

So just stay away from brakes unless it is on the track.

Charlie 04-07-2003 10:14 AM

Hello Everyone, I believe ELK has called us already and is sending the system in. If not, you can and we'll get it taken care of. I'm not sure how that could have happened. We run all the motors 3 different times on 3 different testers before they are packaged. I'm stumped.

As for the braking issue. I will take that up with engineering to see what they say. I'm pretty sure the voltage spike from the brakes is damaging the ESC. I've watched these motor run on a "Scope" and they brakes offer a HUGE spike compared to other R/C applications or equipment configuration. Your recommendation for only using brakes on the track is probably a good idea.

You can email me at anytime for Novak or any R/C related question. We're glad to help and give you the correct answers, or at least try to find them. :)

Thanks,
Charlie Suangka
Novak Electronics
www.teamnovak.com
[email protected]
949-833-8873
FX 949.833.1631

Elk666 04-07-2003 11:06 AM

Hello Charlie, yes i contacted you guys over the phone this morning, i will be shipping the whole unit back to you guys tomorrow am, i'm glad to see that Novak's people are browsing these forums to see if people have concerns /problems with your products.
Thank you

Elk aka Franck :)

chiplouie 04-08-2003 06:18 PM

Hey All,

Charlie's a regular on these boards. He also was killing the competition in the F1RL series last "season."

Cheers