R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Orion V2 brush tubes? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/158680-orion-v2-brush-tubes.html)

aus jd 2703 04-12-2007 04:21 PM

Orion V2 brush tubes?

ok i pulled my orion v2 down pulled the armature out brushes springs and even the little circuit board the brushes seem bout 3 mm shorter than a new pair is this useable? im a budget racer so im generous in the sense of if it runs its good enough.
only thing i wanted to do was pull the brush tubes out to clean around em, can and how do i do this?
cheers, Josh P

aus jd 2703 04-13-2007 09:58 PM

any one know how to get em out?
please?

John Doucakis 04-13-2007 10:59 PM

I am not sure if I understood correctly but you want to dissasemble the brush tubes?

This is completely wrong. The brush tubes have been glued to the alum endbell with great precision in order to have them perfectly alligned to the armature.

Even if the brush tubes start to move, then your endbell is no longer good.

You don't need to clean them externally, only internally. You may do that by using some paper or cloth with clear alchohol, or for even better results you may use a little polishing cream to make them smooth and shiney.

The same you can do to your used brushes. You can use some polishing cream to clean their surface, thus maximizing the current flow as they will have better contact with the inside of the brush tubes.

BlackedOutREVO 04-13-2007 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by John Doucakis
I am not sure if I understood correctly but you want to dissasemble the brush tubes?

This is completely wrong. The brush tubes have been glued to the alum endbell with great precision in order to have them perfectly alligned to the armature.

Even if the brush tubes start to move, then your endbell is no longer good.

You don't need to clean them externally, only internally. You may do that by using some paper or cloth with clear alchohol, or for even better results you may use a little polishing cream to make them smooth and shiney.

The same you can do to your used brushes. You can use some polishing cream to clean their surface, thus maximizing the current flow as they will have better contact with the inside of the brush tubes.

are u serious???? i can take like mothers wax and put some on a pipe cleaner and go through the brush houses that the brushes sit in and that will increase performance?

Superkarter 04-14-2007 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
are u serious???? i can take like mothers wax and put some on a pipe cleaner and go through the brush houses that the brushes sit in and that will increase performance?

Yes because most of the current flows through tht tubes into the brushes
so increasing the conductivity of the tubes will increase performance

ShrekNZ 04-14-2007 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO

I think they are referring to polishing using metal polisher NOT wax which will leave a residue probably decreasing the conductivity of the brush tubes.

John Doucakis 04-14-2007 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by ShrekNZ
I think they are referring to polishing using metal polisher NOT wax which will leave a residue probably decreasing the conductivity of the brush tubes.

I thought it was obvious I was referring to metal polishing cream.
Nothing must be left on the surface of either the brush tube or the brush itself.
The objective is to have as much contact between the copper tubes and the brush surface.
This is also one of the reasons that round, tubular brush hoods and brushes perform better than the conventional square ones. It is easier to manufacturer the round tubular brush hoods with tighter tolerances and thus have maximum contact between the brush hoods and the brushes.
This is also the reason that you must pay attention to keep both brush surfaces and brush tubes always clean, so they maintain maximun conductivity with each other while they remain smooth in their in-out movement, without binding.

BlackedOutREVO 04-14-2007 11:06 AM

ohhh ok then, i guess i will stick to rubbing alcohual on a pipe cleaner lol, it gets the stuff out of the brush hoods