R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-11-2007, 04:51 PM   #16
Tech Elite

5 cell is certainly fast, Chris Grainger took the track record at West London using 5 cell Mod, his first attempt at 5 cell at WLRC I believe.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #17
Tech Adept

One of the reason five cell is fast is because of the lower weight the cars can run. Another thing with 5 cells is it makes the higher cell voltage more important so the cells will be stretched even more than now.
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #18
Gravity RC

Hi Charlie, Thanks. I agree that usually it is true that less cells = more run time but when you have to drop 3 turns to run the same speed you will have a lot less run time.
My point being that with 7cell 10 turn you would have way too much power and have no run time issues with no motor issues, but 5 cell 6 turn you would have way more run time issues, not perfect power and will have more motor issues, along with needing the best of all equipment to make it all work right to have the proper power to keep up with the factory guys.
To me this is why off road is so popular, because it is never a power game and i just feel like we are going in the wrong direction with the limiting of cells. once again im not saying that we need to go to 7 cell but im just using this example to make a point.

paul
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:41 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAlbrecht
With the RROC just around the corner what do you think would be better 5 or 6 cell in the spec class? The mod class is a no brainer BL/5 cell would be way easier to drive for sure..Everybody says more corner speed with 5 but I would want more power (voltage) over saving weight..

Testing starts this thursday I will get back to all ya'll haters...Lol

Bitter
done this testing thing with 27t/19t class
there`s a thread on here some where were i done feed back from going to certain tracks to mess about & see if it`s viable

weight is the first thing 1350g/1375/1400 etc which one
if you go 1350g even grainger can`t reach that figure `think` he`s @around 1405 !!
best i could do was 1420g with my fk04 with out spending money ,so this brings up money & dremeling
so the guys with loads of money can buy a advantage by saving weight
guys will start to dremel there cars to save weight thus weaken them =more failures
or even worse car makers will bring out dedicated 5 cell chassis which will `MAKE` racers buy more stuff to keep up

batts
voltage here ,guys will start to charge higher rates to gain more voltage in pk before race

plus note
5 cell 27t/19t is not as slow as you think ,you drive better with out crashing as often
great on small tracks but as soon as big tracks come ,then lack of down right speed really show`s

less wear on brushed motor & brush`s ,you take less mahs out of pack then you would with a 6 cell pk (less wasted energy, coz your driving that much better),car is slower entering the corner

HTH

disclamer
i have actually raced like this @ around 5-6 different clubs against 6 cell guys
so i have facts ,not hear say
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:43 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

forget i was running 2-3 teeth more on 48dp with 5 cell
heat is not a issue in this format

this is for 27t/19t class
not mod
Old 04-12-2007, 02:07 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Currently 1/12 is 4 cell and not to mention oval racing (4 cell), All classes could be 4 cell and possibly run exhibition classes in 6 cell for pro-touring.
Funny you should mention this...because we are testing the Peak/Orion Lipos this year in several markets with Brushless motors. the crappy 4200's, and the NiMh technology changing SO fast has created more of a boiling point than EVER before in the 22 years I've been racing. (P170's and Sanyo SCE's were close)

We are working on finding actually slower motors to use to make speeds similar to the 4 cell speeds w/ the use of the higher voltage LIPOs.

One of the B/L motors we are playing with IMHO would make a great entry level TC motor too. Hopefully we'll have more info for that in the next couple months.
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:30 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L
My point being that with 7cell 10 turn you would have way too much power and have no run time issues with no motor issues, but 5 cell 6 turn you would have way more run time issues, not perfect power and will have more motor issues, along with needing the best of all equipment to make it all work right to have the proper power to keep up with the factory guys.
To me this is why off road is so popular, because it is never a power game (...)

paul
Totally agree with this point of view. IMO, limiting motors and/or cells makes for even more expensive racing.
The cheapest racing i know comes from having WAY too much power for the track and traction available.
No motor or battery wars, just need a good stock of blades and belts

Having said this, i do believe 5 cell can be fast and cheap. in medium to small tracks with low grip (asphalt) dumping is not a real problem. and the power available with BL is usually enough for those conditions.

But getting the car to those 1350 grs can be expensive to...

Last edited by Itchy; 04-12-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #23
Tech Adept

I'm not a big fan of this 4 and 5 cell racing idea. I don't see the point of changing something that has been such a staple in R/C for so long, so many cars are set up to use 6cells I just think it would alineate some of the new people from getting in to racing.

I'm not to clear on this whole idea of doing to to make the cars slower, thats the whole point of Mod racing isen't it? and as racers we'll always find ways to go faster so in no time we'll be back to where we started. Be it with one or two less cells.

I like to take my race packs that are getting a little long in the tooth and use them for the cars & trucks I run with for fun. I think my son would be a little disapointed running his TXT with a 4 or 5 cell battery.

Just my thoughts thanks for your time.

Tom
infokiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Right, from last year after the worlds there was a meeting with races, motor tuners and company representatives there were probably more people there that i have forgotten. The main topic was about motors, the current motor design is over 30 years old and you put that much voltage through a motor its going to let go. Also i think Todd Hodge posted on here somewhere that nearly 2000mA was being discharged out of the cells at the end of a run. By going up another cell its going to start the cycle over again people will push the limits and start blowing motors again but even faster. Japan tried 4 cell and had motors drawing 20A plus continously, this made cells dump and them become unuseable. 5 cell seemed a better compromise as servos work at 6V, the load a motor will take from the cells will be less as there is more voltage. Also there is less heat from 5 cells which was also a problem when running 6 cells as it made speedos go pop alot of the time. Limiting motor turns does not help as brushes then get changed every run and arms throw winds as the timing gets wound up to get that extra bit of speed. I think there needs to be a change to get motors and speedos to last the race and level out the field more. There were good vibes from the DHI race which can mean that it seems to be a good idea!
Dan Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #25
Tech Elite

not this thread again..

Here's an idea.. Unless you are qualified to have the title of E.E. behind your professional name, let's stop spreading the FUD for 4/5/6/lipo cell in threads.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

people seem to be getting the idea less cells gives more runtime/less heat(in motor or electronics), but this is not the case. higher voltage systems are more effiecient, meaning they draw less current, creating less heat. lower voltage systems are less effeiceint, and draw more current(meaning more amps), and is less efeiceint, it is why 5 cell dumps faster than 6. if you dont believe it, try it. run back to back 5/6 cell, you will probably have 2-3 mins less runtime. i discovered this racing 1/18 mod over the winter(i eventually settled on 5cell/bl, btw)

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #27
Tech Regular

5 cell mod with a weight reduction is a no brainer, less weight mean tyre wear less, less voltage = reduction in comm burn and less stress on parts better handling car due to less weight. Time should remain the same reducing turns just mean you need a 6t to get the same amount of torque as you would with a 10 t on 6 cells , but it not as likly to burn up and run cooler due to lower voltages.
It a nobrainer and allows people who won't move up from 19t to move up to mod cause it cheaper to be competitive.
Smoking motor.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #28
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason
not this thread again..

Here's an idea.. Unless you are qualified to have the title of E.E. behind your professional name, let's stop spreading the FUD for 4/5/6/lipo cell in threads.
Im not doing any testing due to the lack of horsepower ..
CAlbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:22 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Has anyone run head to head in 19t with 5 cell vs 6 cell on a large track such as Tamiya's ?
If the 5 cell has more corner speed, would that make up for the loss of straitline speed?
Seeing how the Reedy Race allows both 5 and 6 cell to be used it would be interesting to know.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:56 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones
Has anyone run head to head in 19t with 5 cell vs 6 cell on a large track such as Tamiya's ?
If the 5 cell has more corner speed, would that make up for the loss of straitline speed?
Seeing how the Reedy Race allows both 5 and 6 cell to be used it would be interesting to know.
i raced against a 6cell/19t ,i had a 5cell/19t
unless you can make 1350g (or very close ie;;1380-90g with 5 cell & 1500g for the 6 cell ,you be struggling
i was @1420g was losing like 4-5 feet on the straight