ROAR

Old 04-10-2007, 06:27 PM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 118
Default ROAR

I wanted to create this post to offer ideas on how to improve ROAR.
Spoook is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 06:30 PM
  #2  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 118
Default

One of the biggest problems with ROAR is that nobody follows their rules. IMO this is due to a large number of racers not being "ROAR LEGAL".


There are two main areas which prevent people from being "ROAR LEGAL".

1 - Their motor is not approved

2 - Their batteries are not approved
Spoook is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 06:33 PM
  #3  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 118
Default

Auto sports racing is always on the cutting edge of technology. Their are many design on automobiles today that were developed through racing. With RC racing this all seems to be backwards. We come out with the technology, people who don't race often use the equipment for years before it gets approval from ROAR for racing.

This all seems backwards to me!
Spoook is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 06:38 PM
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Costa Mesa
Posts: 408
Default

Welcome to the wonderful world of ROAR, Nobody not even the President makes the final descions kind of like it is now in the White house..The independent races will kill Roar in the long run..
CAlbrecht is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 06:48 PM
  #5  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 118
Default

Originally Posted by CAlbrecht
Welcome to the wonderful world of ROAR, Nobody not even the President makes the final descions kind of like it is now in the White house..The independent races will kill Roar in the long run..
From what I understand ROAR's main selling point was they offered insurance for events that is included in your membership fee. If tracks are all carrying their own insurance then what is the point of ROAR?
Spoook is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 06:51 PM
  #6  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 118
Default

I have seen the off road guys doing a 20 minutes main class. It's pretty much run what you brung everything is legal. It would be awesome if on-road events started doing this.
Spoook is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 07:03 PM
  #7  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tri-cities, wa.
Posts: 36
Default

go back to rubber tires!!!!
willdp is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 07:13 PM
  #8  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (217)
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 31,187
Trader Rating: 217 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Spoook
I wanted to create this post to offer ideas on how to improve ROAR.
......................................__................................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,..........................................
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll..................................
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll................................
..............lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................
...............lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-..*`*;..)..........................
.................,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/...................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*....................
................|.../.../.../.*`..............................)....)¯`~,..................
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---........../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../....................
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|......................
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,...................
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..................
Marcos.J is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 07:17 PM
  #9  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
waltuo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,794
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Spoook
One of the biggest problems with ROAR is that nobody follows their rules. IMO this is due to a large number of racers not being "ROAR LEGAL".


There are two main areas which prevent people from being "ROAR LEGAL".

1 - Their motor is not approved

2 - Their batteries are not approved
Just to play the devil's advocate though, the obvious arguement to your point is that new technologies are coming out faster than ROAR would be able to amend their rules. So, at some point, they would need to establish a baseline for that year and then re-evaluate prior to the start of the next year, which is what they try to do.

IMO the big issue that people seem to ask, especially around electric on-road, is what benefit does ROAR bring to the table? The big electric on-road events are not ROAR sanctioned, and the RC Pro Series has become quite a force in off-road.

If we all followed ROAR's rules at club races, we'd never get to try new bodies, motors, or batteries for at least a year, assuming they'd get approved. So, we can agree that they move much too slow for club races, where new technologies should be explored.

But if all ROAR brings to the table are some rules and insurance, this isn't a long term strategy. Maybe ROAR should take a lesson from the RC Pro Series or the Tamiya Championship Series and put together a series of points races. They could partner with the "independent" race events such as Snowbirds so that they are not trying to take away from these big events, but instead add to them as well as provide encouragement for people to attend the next events to get their points for the season, etc.

That's my $0.02. Anyone got change for a nickel?
waltuo is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 07:40 PM
  #10  
Tech Addict
 
tomkelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 592
Default

Originally Posted by Spoook
One of the biggest problems with ROAR is that nobody follows their rules. IMO this is due to a large number of racers not being "ROAR LEGAL".


There are two main areas which prevent people from being "ROAR LEGAL".

1 - Their motor is not approved

2 - Their batteries are not approved
...and this is ROAR's problem because? Should ROAR go around and start laying down the law?

I like how it works for nitro racing. Engines, chassis, tires, and bodies (sometimes require approval) must follow certain guidelines. Therefore there's really no need for specific approvals. In electric racing this rule is meant to act as a cost control measure. Battery wars are expensive. When batterys and motors plateau in performance, then maybe ROAR could consider getting rid of specific approvals.
tomkelley is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 07:53 PM
  #11  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 118
Default

Motors don't come out often. It's not like we have a company putting out a motor every week. Generally once a year a company will update their line of motors by adding a new line. It's not hard to have each company give a motor to roar and they can dyno the motor and put it in a class.

We do need to redo the classes and get rid of 27T, 19T and mod.
The motors can be grouped A-D according to performance.

Set KV and RPM ratings and have them run on a load of say 3lbs.
Spoook is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 08:00 PM
  #12  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 118
Default

Originally Posted by waltuo
Just to play the devil's advocate though, the obvious arguement to your point is that new technologies are coming out faster than ROAR would be able to amend their rules. So, at some point, they would need to establish a baseline for that year and then re-evaluate prior to the start of the next year, which is what they try to do.


If we all followed ROAR's rules at club races, we'd never get to try new bodies, motors, or batteries for at least a year, assuming they'd get approved. So, we can agree that they move much too slow for club races, where new technologies should be explored.
Why does everyone think it should take so long to determine what class a body, motor, or battery should fall in? If you gave me a motor to test for a day, I can tell you what group it should be ran in the same day.

The problem is when you don't do it regularly and let all the work pile up. Then when you do decide to classify each prodct, well you got a lot of work.

There should be a ROAR classification for every battery, motor, and body that comes out with in a week.
Spoook is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 08:07 PM
  #13  
Tech Regular
 
Pat Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Easton, Pa
Posts: 303
Default

Originally Posted by Spoook
Motors don't come out often. It's not like we have a company putting out a motor every week. Generally once a year a company will update their line of motors by adding a new line. It's not hard to have each company give a motor to roar and they can dyno the motor and put it in a class.

We do need to redo the classes and get rid of 27T, 19T and mod.
The motors can be grouped A-D according to performance.

Set KV and RPM ratings and have them run on a load of say 3lbs.
I cant even comment on how silly that post is...
Pat Clark is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 08:21 PM
  #14  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: E-Town Posse
Posts: 1,573
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

i can see it now factory drivers need to get out of the d class
Jeff Cuffs is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 08:27 PM
  #15  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Spoook
Why does everyone think it should take so long to determine what class a body, motor, or battery should fall in? If you gave me a motor to test for a day, I can tell you what group it should be ran in the same day.

The problem is when you don't do it regularly and let all the work pile up. Then when you do decide to classify each prodct, well you got a lot of work.

There should be a ROAR classification for every battery, motor, and body that comes out with in a week.
Im sure they will take volunteers if you want (and you qualify). You do know these aren't paid positions right and these people have other jobs?
or8ital is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.