R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #16
J_P
Tech Addict

You hear that all of the time. "What does ROAR do for me?" "Why should I spend my money on ROAR?" As he sits in his A/C'ed trailer, with dish TV and the XM playing, while working on his $2000 car.
Now, I'm not a ROAR official. But look at it this way. ROAR affects almost everything on your pit table. As stated above. They try to limit the amount of legalized battery's, bodies, and motor/engine's that are released each year for cost factor.
But also, ROAR is the U.S. affiliate of IFMAR. They determine with manufacturers how cars are made. Size, weight, wheel diameter, tread width,number of cells, number of cells in a receiver pack, fuel tank limit,number of cells in your transmitter,pipe dimentions,race length,ect.
Back not too long ago, you could race in Florida, or Arizona. And you knew what to expect. What classes were running. What was legal in a class. And how the race would run. Now, it is just a cluster @%@#.
I would much rather have 150 people in three classes, 50 per class. Than 150 people in seven classes, one class with 60, one with 20, and five with 14.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I like it the way it is. Hand out motors that get the magnets removed and put back in with the Arm cranked out of it's mind and depending on who you are depends on if your cheating or not. LOL J/K I know none of this goes on
beanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

the racers in general don't want a organization like ROAR anymore. Gone are the days when racers bought what was legal to race because those were the rules. Todays racer wants the lastest new products to be legal as soon as they are availible to the public. So what is the point of having rules if you want everything legal? Whats the point of having a battery mah limit if as soon as some company releases a 5000mah battery, everybody wants it to be legal immediately? Todays racers don't want rules that make them run old stuff, they want rules so they can use new stuff.

Rules are supposed to make racing fair for everybody, thats it. I think some people need to understand why some rules are in place before they decide to change the rules so that they can use the newest stuff.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Sounds like the need to kill off ROAR and start something new?

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy
Sounds like the need to kill off ROAR and start something new?
I think others have tried that already. Here's a suggestion, you can volunteer your services and run for president.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:19 PM   #21
Tech Regular

And not every racing organization uses the latest and greatest inventions for their equipment or racing organization. Take Nascar for example, not a single fuel injection system(been around sine the 80's) to be found or even remotely allowed. When was the last time you actually saw a real 357 ci engine in a street car(monte carlo, fusion?, or even a dodge).

Take a look at the Brushless systems, first you had the Novakss, then the Sphere, the GTB and now you have the Sphere comp, the GTB 4cell, and spread spektrum(which is suppose to be even better then the regular GTB. In order to keep up if you followed the evolution, you would have had to buy how many controllers just to maintain speed? Then look at the motors, same thing can be said, you baught a 5.5(fastest when first introduced), then the 4.5, now the 3.5, and yet now you have to buy the sentered rotor to keep from thermaling and keeping up. Next there will be yet an even faster system that you must get to keep up because these systems will not be fast enough.

The problem is not ROAR, it is all the racers who want to create a new class to meet what THEY want to run instead of them getting what fits within the rules that already exist.

Lipo is no different, the first cells produced are not even talked about anymore, and every month or two, a new company comes out with a new cell that performs better than the rest on the market. The improvements to Lipo is so fast right now, that the cells baught today will be similar to a 1200 nicad in comparison within a year or so. DO you want to be the one who baught the best of today and was told it will last for years, just to have it become a worthless battery that can not compete with when a better version comes out?

There are two sides to every story. I find it sad that you only see it from one view and think it is worse that many clubs wont let you compete there because of your equpment. The club level is what defines what is done at larger national events. If the demand is great enough at the club elevel, then it will find its way to the national level. The clubs are what should allow the creation of classes(when the demand is justified at that level) to evolve at.

Yes it would be nice to have a world consisous to rules, but everyone is not the same. And every racing organization will attempt to do what the majority of their group wants. Unless you can convince the majority that your way is better and get them to change, then this thread really oesn't do much other than to start a bash whatevery place for people to blame whoever.
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:52 PM   #22
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Thomas
The problem is not ROAR, it is all the racers who want to create a new class to meet what THEY want to run instead of them getting what fits within the rules that already exist.
This is false.

ROAR bases its rules on what consumers want, and what's happening at the grassroots level. Racers -have- to impose their will and create new classes if they want ROAR to act, and define a class around what they've discovered. We, as racers and consumers drive the hobby, the sanctioning bodies are just there to try and help contain things.

I implore all of you to continue trying to create new classes, share your experiences publicly, and not to be daunted by people telling you to wait. Just go about it with an open mind, and work to find a compromise that a majority of people can live with. Use a public forum such as this to express how you feel, people in power ARE listening and DO need your input.

We as consumers drive this hobby with our dollars and our feet. The sanctioning bodies follow our lead. So if you want things to change, lead the way, don't follow and wait for things to get better.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #23
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
This is false.

ROAR bases its rules on what consumers want, and what's happening at the grassroots level. Racers -have- to impose their will and create new classes if they want ROAR to act, and define a class around what they've discovered. We, as racers and consumers drive the hobby, the sanctioning bodies are just there to try and help contain things.

I implore all of you to continue trying to create new classes, share your experiences publicly, and not to be daunted by people telling you to wait. Just go about it with an open mind, and work to find a compromise that a majority of people can live with. Use a public forum such as this to express how you feel, people in power ARE listening and DO need your input.

We as consumers drive this hobby with our dollars and our feet. The sanctioning bodies follow our lead. So if you want things to change, lead the way, don't follow and wait for things to get better.

"Down with BL"
CAlbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #24
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAlbrecht
"Down with BL"
What are you doing in here?! Aren't Toso's nuts getting cold without you on them?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:46 PM   #25
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
What are you doing in here?! Aren't Toso's nuts getting cold without you on them?
Wow ...........its true you are a dick ...
Old 04-10-2007, 11:50 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thats the best thing i've heard in a long time.. Make sure to fondle them.
AARON YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:51 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

!!! DIE ROAR DIE !!!

Old yeller sorry.... you get the shotgun

ROAR is a rule book I pay for every year. Why should I care. Something will eventually put it out of its misery either the RC pro series or something of the sort.

And then we will have anouther group of old, out of touch racers making rules that noone cares about, and a new thread every week on how to improve it.

My car fits in the box, and it weighs in okay, my batteries are approved, and my 24 degree motor is sealed up tight.....stop making these threads and go racing instead
Speedyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:53 PM   #28
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARON YOUNG
Thats the best thing i've heard in a long time.. Make sure to fondle them.
Like you even have a pair. How's that old Mi2 working out?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:58 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It Tq's and wins against all the others..
AARON YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:06 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltuo
Just to play the devil's advocate though, the obvious arguement to your point is that new technologies are coming out faster than ROAR would be able to amend their rules. So, at some point, they would need to establish a baseline for that year and then re-evaluate prior to the start of the next year, which is what they try to do.

IMO the big issue that people seem to ask, especially around electric on-road, is what benefit does ROAR bring to the table? The big electric on-road events are not ROAR sanctioned, and the RC Pro Series has become quite a force in off-road.

If we all followed ROAR's rules at club races, we'd never get to try new bodies, motors, or batteries for at least a year, assuming they'd get approved. So, we can agree that they move much too slow for club races, where new technologies should be explored.

But if all ROAR brings to the table are some rules and insurance, this isn't a long term strategy. Maybe ROAR should take a lesson from the RC Pro Series or the Tamiya Championship Series and put together a series of points races. They could partner with the "independent" race events such as Snowbirds so that they are not trying to take away from these big events, but instead add to them as well as provide encouragement for people to attend the next events to get their points for the season, etc.

That's my $0.02. Anyone got change for a nickel?
The US Triple Crown was similar to a RC Pro Series and what not. I hand full of races were chosen as the points races (Octoberfast or Halloween Classic, Cleveland, January Jam, Birds, Nats). It was cool, but pretty much disappeared.