R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #46
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Do these front tires have three foam rings like the standard Parmas? I realize there's only two compounds at use, but it seems like it's three different pieces. I always seem to wear the small middle strip faster than the other two when my setup isn't quite there.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Do these front tires have three foam rings like the standard Parmas? I realize there's only two compounds at use, but it seems like it's three different pieces. I always seem to wear the small middle strip faster than the other two when my setup isn't quite there.
The fronts have 3 rings. Only the outer is a different compound like you said. Since we like the narrower outer ring, there is no other way to do it. It has to be 3 strips because of the orginal foam thickness.

Paul
Old 04-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #48
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicky03
The fronts have 3 rings. Only the outer is a different compound like you said. Since we like the narrower outer ring, there is no other way to do it. It has to be 3 strips because of the orginal foam thickness.

Paul
Cool, thanks for the explanation. I look forward to trying them.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #49
Tech Initiate

I've been testing these wheels at home lately and I have to say, they are pretty awesome. The rim is super strong and the foam seems to stay attched to the rim pretty well. I started them at 57mm with no glue and the car felt good (magenta front and rear). Then I glued just a little bit of the sidewall and the car was bolted. I was consistantly about a tenth a lap faster than I had been, and the car felt easier to drive, especially through a tough chicane that I had been struggling with. Also I did get a lot of runs out of them considering how small I cut them. These rims are sweet chicky. I cant wait to run them In a high grip setting. See you this weekend at The Gate.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:13 AM   #50
Tech Adept

After the nats we started running the new tires at the gate, prior to that we were running wraps. I prefered the new wheel over the wraps, I think the the car handled better and tire wear was better, my car also was more consistent on the new tires, which you could see in the laptimes, not to mention they look kick a!! on the car.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:01 AM   #51
Suspended

Default Any suggestion on tire peeling?

Good Morning Everybody!

I ran these last week @ Beaver and I was impressed with many things about the new wheel. One thing I was not impressed with was the tires kept coming unglued on the edges. THis happened to 2 or 3 people all on the same day.

Is this an early problem that has been addressed? Or is it our track surface that somehow caused this issue?

I would love to run these wheels, but not if I have to glue the sidewalls to do it.

THanks,

H-Rob
Homosexual Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:20 AM   #52
Tech Master

Were they peeling because they were not glued or was the rubber peeling and there was still rubber glued to the wheel? If they were not glued properly we will replace them. If they are chunking and the rubber is still glued to the rim then it is usually a setup issue or from hitting things.

When we run magentas in the front tires in general will get beat up in the front from tapping stuff. If you cut the tires really big they will also tend to chunk more often front or rear. Glue is always a good sloution if you run the tires big to prevent this from happening. We have not seen these tires to chunk or peel anymore than other tires out on the market, our std tires or other brands. I recommend to run the tires 57.5 for the best performance and I have run them all the way down to 54mm and still have good laptimes. How big are you cutting them?

Paul
Old 04-24-2007, 08:41 AM   #53
Suspended

WE cut them initially to 59 mm. ( I know that this is too big now)

The peeling was the tire coming off the rim (No rubber on rim after peeling) It was not chunking or anything like that (I know what chunking is -- I am a master at chunking / Hitting things).

I guess it could have been from too much sidewall acting like a lever and peeling itself away, but 59 mm does not seem huge to me.

I am definitely trying these at the gate this week. Hopefully you can give me some direct insight if it happens again (doubtful it will happen again).

If the other racers on that day and myself are the only ones this happened to, I would be inclined to think we did something wrong.

H-Rob
Old 04-24-2007, 08:49 AM   #54
Tech Master

59 is not too big it will just lend itself to easier chunking but since they came unglued I will check them out this weekend. Make sure you bring them.

Paul
Old 04-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #55
Suspended

Now it's going to sound like I am full of crap!

I glued them and ran them for the rest of the day.

I may be coming across incorrectly. I was just checking to see if anybody else had problems with this or the few individuals at beaver were the only ones.

There is obviously not a problem with the wheels or the tires that anybody else is having, so I will be quiet now.

Great wheels and I think there are no downsides! I look forward to running them this weekend at the invitational (open class... ...DUH!)

Thanks for the great customer service and respect!
Little things like this make for happy customers.

See Ya'll Friday!

H-Rob
Old 04-24-2007, 09:51 AM   #56
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homosexual Rob
Now it's going to sound like I am full of crap!

I glued them and ran them for the rest of the day.

I may be coming across incorrectly. I was just checking to see if anybody else had problems with this or the few individuals at beaver were the only ones.

There is obviously not a problem with the wheels or the tires that anybody else is having, so I will be quiet now.

Great wheels and I think there are no downsides! I look forward to running them this weekend at the invitational (open class... ...DUH!)

Thanks for the great customer service and respect!
Little things like this make for happy customers.

See Ya'll Friday!

H-Rob
See ya friday!!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:29 AM   #57
Suspended

Thumbs up

I ran the new Pro-53 Magentas all around at the Stock Invitational race this past weekend, and it helped settle the car down....it wasn't as "nervous". As a result, I was able to crank out the fast laps more consistently.

I really like the idea of running a larger diameter wheel, since the rules now allow you to do so.
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #58
Tech Adept

Default TC 19t

I was wondering which would be the best combo to run in TC 19t, Indigo/Magenta or Cyan/Magenta?? And what would be the best diameter to start these off at and how far can you run them down without losing traction??
_pilot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #59
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by _pilot_
I was wondering which would be the best combo to run in TC 19t, Indigo/Magenta or Cyan/Magenta?? And what would be the best diameter to start these off at and how far can you run them down without losing traction??
Indigos or Cyans depends on the traction. If it is really high then cyans if it is a little lower then the Indigos will give you more steering. It also depends how you like the car to drive. Regardless the indigos have more steering. So far we have liked to start the tires between 57-58mm. I have run them all the way down to 54 before they started to get loose so you should get a lot of life out of them.

At the Stock Carpet Invitational the 53's Qualified 1,2,3 in the Open TC class and 8 out of 10 used them through quals and mains. Everyone was pretty happy with them. Over half the entries in the two TC classes combined at the Invite race used the 53's.

Paul
Old 05-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #60
Tech Adept

Default 53's

Thanks Paul, hope to see you at Fastcats sometime in the Fall
_pilot_ is offline   Reply With Quote