R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   New PARMA Pro 53 Touring car Tires (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/158177-new-parma-pro-53-touring-car-tires.html)

adamge 04-09-2007 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought guys were two-running one-stage foams at big races, so the only difference is that a wrap is junk after those runs, whereas the one-stage is worth $1/tire to a newbie.

syn, you need an avatar! I still laugh at the attached one.

-Adam
fantasizing of fifty-run rubber tires on carpet and asphalt

syndr0me 04-09-2007 11:27 PM

I can usually manage 3 race nights from a set of regular foams if I start them around 57.5mm. I was actually defending foams a while back (during a discussion about rubber tires) saying they lasted quite a while and stayed consistent, and everybody slapped me down about how bad foam racing has become, especially at big events with wraps. A number of pro drivers (Rick Hohwart, Todd Hodge) have been somewhat vocal about foam tires, the lack of a foam control tire, etc. I'm trying to get a feel for the problem second-hand since I don't experience it personally.

I guess I'm not that fast yet, so I'm not wearing them down as quick as some people. I do, however, aspire to reach that level, so it's nice to stay current with changes in tires and know what's going on.

I guess I do need an avatar. I suppose I can't put the unicorn back on there if I hope to leave my checkered past behind me. :-)

syndr0me 04-09-2007 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I guess I do need an avatar. I suppose I can't put the unicorn back on there if I hope to leave my checkered past behind me. :-)

Octorock, bizitches!

stegger 04-10-2007 01:04 AM

#16501 1/10 PRO 53 Touring Car Foam Racing Tires (Pair) - Magenta
(37) $21.99 Retail
#16510 1/10 PRO 53 Touring Car Foam Racing Tires (Pair) - Cyan
(37/55) $21.99 Retail
#16512 1/10 PRO 53 Touring Car Foam Racing Tires (Pair) - Indigo
(37/55) $21.99 Retail

What is the difference between cyan and indigo they have the same shore rating ? or is this a typo :confused:

chicky03 04-10-2007 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by SlamMan
Ok, I saw them on Horizon and the Parma website but the price was out of hand. I'm assuming they'll come back to earth soon? What do the regular Parma tires usually go for?

Our regular tires retail for 19.99. I have seen them online any where from $13 to $16.00. The new tires retail for $21.99 and I would imagine once they are get around to all the shops they would be around $15-$18 street price. We sell everything at retail price on our website because we actually discourage you from buying from us and hope you support the local track.

Paul

chicky03 04-10-2007 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by syndr0me
So will these tires last longer than current (non-wrap) foams? There's been a lot of talk lately about the trouble wraps have caused at large events. Does this reduce that trouble, or just give Parma a competitor to the 2-stage tires with the same disadvantages?

We believe from our testing the tires offer similar handling advantages that the two stage tires offer but allow more runs per tire. The 53's will last longer than regular tires because they have more of a contact patch in diameter which makes the car slide less and wear the tires less. I have run the tires all the way down to 54 mm and they still have more traction than regular tires because of the wheel design and less squirm from the excess rubber.

I think you will be really impressed.

Paul

chicky03 04-10-2007 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by stegger
#16501 1/10 PRO 53 Touring Car Foam Racing Tires (Pair) - Magenta
(37) $21.99 Retail
#16510 1/10 PRO 53 Touring Car Foam Racing Tires (Pair) - Cyan
(37/55) $21.99 Retail
#16512 1/10 PRO 53 Touring Car Foam Racing Tires (Pair) - Indigo
(37/55) $21.99 Retail

What is the difference between cyan and indigo they have the same shore rating ? or is this a typo :confused:

The Cyans have a orange outer ring and the Indigo's have a double blue outer ring. The Indigo's will have more steering but might be a little twitchier to drive in some cases than the Cyan's.

Paul

johnnywhopper 04-10-2007 05:19 AM

oops, nevermind. i type too slow and chicky already answered. lol.

john

chicky03 04-10-2007 05:27 AM

Here is a picture of the wheel using a FEA (Finite Element Analysis) program. It helped us design a very strong wheel while keeping it very light. Several hundred different design characteristics were tested to develop the best product available.

http://www.parmapse.com/PRO53_FEA.jpg

Paul

Keith Billanti 04-10-2007 06:33 AM

that Paulie is not just another pretty face... he is S M R T smart too!

Jack Rimer 04-10-2007 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by adamge
I thought guys were two-running one-stage foams at big races, so the only difference is that a wrap is junk after those runs, whereas the one-stage is worth $1/tire to a newbie.

syn, you need an avatar! I still laugh at the attached one.

-Adam
fantasizing of fifty-run rubber tires on carpet and asphalt

I am not trying to hijack this thread, but when something is written that is completely false I can't let it go. Wraps are NOT one run tires. Some of our drivers at some of the races were running them one run, as well as running single stage one run. They did this because there was so much traction that the tires (all tires) gum up after a single run. Some people have chosen this fact and manipulated it to make it sound like these tires are somehow hurting the sport. Nothing could be further from the truth. We introduced these tires in 1/12 before sedan and 1/12 seems to be GROWING in popularity. How can this be if they are so bad for the sport? I would caution everyone who hears such things to find out the facts. These tires are popular because they WORK and the average racer, not just "our drivers" love them.
By the way, the 26mm wraps are not more expensive than the new 53mm tires- they are the same price.
I commend Parma for coming out with new and innovative products. I have seen these tires run well in competition. I am not demeaning their tires, just defending mine.

SlamMan 04-10-2007 07:28 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. I personally love the Jaco wraps. Mostly for the stronger tire they're on. I will be interested in trying these new 53mm tires. Too bad they're on dish wheels again. If Jaco does a 53mm tire I hope to see them on a spoke wheel. ;) (hint hint)

adamge 04-10-2007 08:32 AM

Thanks for the response, Jack. My comments on that subject were only a paraphrase of what I had heard others say on this forum. Personally, I start my tires at 59mm (regardless of the tire model) and run them until there's no foam left.

syndrome, I have discovered that mod driving incurs twice as much tire wear as 19t - and I run fairly mild mod motors (because I'm not that good at mod).

Keith Billanti 04-10-2007 09:37 AM

JACO wraps are not one run tires. Infact, in 2005 I ran the same 3 sets all weekend in 19T and Stock at the Halloween classic and well, the results speak for them selfs. :D Granted, there wasnt too much left of them after the race....

If there will ever be a spoked rim again, i sincerely hope it is similar to the old IWC street weapon wheels or the original TRC's (split spoke).. otherwise.. Dish all the way ;)

KB

duckman996 04-10-2007 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Keith Billanti
JACO wraps are not one run tires. Infact, in 2005 I ran the same 3 sets all weekend in 19T and Stock at the Halloween classic and well, the results speak for them selfs. :D Granted, there wasnt too much left of them after the race....

If there will ever be a spoked rim again, i sincerely hope it is similar to the old IWC street weapon wheels or the original TRC's (split spoke).. otherwise.. Dish all the way ;)

KB

I would love to see the "black" rim make a comeback.... it looks so sweet. YEESHHHHHHH!!!!