R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-06-2007, 06:17 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birky
I found out I was overcooking my tyres before the race. I was using 55deg C on Takeoff 22's, but have dropped to 40deg C and the car is so much better in the early stages of the race.
I did use 40 degrees C it wokred a little. but it just still didn't feel right shoud i go the opposite like hotter in the front and cooler in the back? Or should i let them cook a little longer?

-lee
Leester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Last year they were using Tamiya blue inserts all around and new tires for every run at the World Championships in Japan. That would change things right there. I don't know if they allowed motor spray on tires they did sell a cleaner at the track. I have also heard heat cycling getting really hot then cooling down before heating them up again for use can make a difference.

It's nice to dream about going over there, although the other competitors might have something to say about it....
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #18
Tech Elite

You are overheating your tires in my opinion. Tire warmers are used in conjunction with tire sauce to help it cook or penetrate into the tire for more traction. Remove the sauce and the high temperatures are no longer necessary and will only reduce grip.

When you tires cool off, you get more grip. They key is to detemine what the temperature of the tires is when you are creating maximum grip on the track. You can measure this with a temp gun.

As for set-up, I would begin with a balanced sauced tire set-up and begin by softening the suspension slightly. Use softer springs and softer anti-roll bars (or remove them entirely).
Old 04-06-2007, 08:02 AM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
You are overheating your tires in my opinion. Tire warmers are used in conjunction with tire sauce to help it cook or penetrate into the tire for more traction. Remove the sauce and the high temperatures are no longer necessary and will only reduce grip.

When you tires cool off, you get more grip. They key is to detemine what the temperature of the tires is when you are creating maximum grip on the track. You can measure this with a temp gun.

As for set-up, I would begin with a balanced sauced tire set-up and begin by softening the suspension slightly. Use softer springs and softer anti-roll bars (or remove them entirely).
What lee is practicing for,the race doesn't allow any tire sauce. And nothing but Tamiya products.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
What lee is practicing for,the race doesn't allow any tire sauce. And nothing but Tamiya products.
Maybe I was not clear enough. I know he can't use sauce. What I mean is that he should begin with the same good balanced set-up he uses when he IS allowed to use sauced tires. Then when not using sauce, make modifications to that set-up using the suggestions I made.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Maybe I was not clear enough. I know he can't use sauce. What I mean is that he should begin with the same good balanced set-up he uses when he IS allowed to use sauced tires. Then when not using sauce, make modifications to that set-up using the suggestions I made.

Rick.

I have already made made changes to the car and it's not really doing that bad.

The problem is that when it get out on the track the cars i really hard ot drive but when the tire heat up it's pretty darn good. I am running a balanced setup. tamiya blue hard springs all around. and really soft shock oil all around. i first tried tamiya green inserts all around but after it went to tamiya blues in the back. i was alot easier to drive and i was able to use a more aggressive setup. I am using no anti roll bars

After i heat my tires how long should i wait to let them cool off? 2-3mins?

-lee

Last edited by Leester; 04-06-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #22
Tech Master

All right i did some tire warmer changes. I went down to 24 C and it felt the best that i drove so far. It still was a little loose but the car was more controllable and was a little easier to drive. Next i am going to try 20 C to see what it does.

-Lee
Old 04-06-2007, 04:09 PM   #23
Tech Master

Update. the next run was ok it still turned the fastest lap but it wasn't as consistent.
Cars was actually harder to drive in the beggining with the 20C than the 24C. i checked he temperature of the tires when they came off the track. And it was 90 degrees F will try 90 degrees F temperature and see how it works

In my previous run i had the same fast lap but i was more consistent.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:23 PM   #24
Tech Master

All right i did two more runs. My first run i checked my tire and they were at 86 F i put it on the track. and it was the best run so far. I had good traction at the start and the car was a very good to drive however it wasn't has fast or as consistent as my fastest run. The second run i decided to warm the tires a little hotter at 89 F and they weren't as good and was a a little hard to control at the beginning and it was my slowest run so far. my batteries and motor i think were getting a little soft. so i might try at another time maybe this Sunday or next Tuesday. With some better motors and tires.

I was faster last night but i was more consistent and faster than Thursday.

Thursday 13.663
Friday 13.713
Old 04-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Are all your tests with new tires every time? (B3s I'm guessing?) If your 1st run was fastest, then the 2nd and 3rd would naturally fall off no matter what temp you used
[url=http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/][color=DarkOrange]- CFX Paintworks -[/color][/url]
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]- Team Ertrachter Factor - [/COLOR]
If my last name were Oxlong, I would name my kid Mike... yup Mike Oxlong
-Heywood Jablome

I don't want to pay for my sig, so yawl figure it out...
Big Rigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #26
Tech Master

well i actually tried a extra run this time with blue inserts all around. I heated them up to the correct temperature. and they had instant traction the first lap!
they were dialed! but i was not as fast as my fastest run i did however get down to a 13.785. so i was pleased but i was very consistent. 13.8's an 13.9's
The next run will try better batteries and fresher tires.

-Lee
Old 04-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rigg
Are all your tests with new tires every time? (B3s I'm guessing?) If your 1st run was fastest, then the 2nd and 3rd would naturally fall off no matter what temp you used
Big Rigg

I am running A tires. No they are with the same tires. I have about 5-8 runs on My A's. B3's or any type of b compound tire will not work very well on carpet. They are an outside tire. I tried B's on carpet and they are very loose like driving a cop car in a stunt movie. (sliding all over the place and very slow)

However i am beating a T2,007 and a TK,05 when they are using CS27's and jack the gripper
Old 04-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Sounds great.

Locally they are talking dropping compound all together so I might be in the same boat Japan or no Japan. . .

With heat cycles I have heard 15-20 min at 50-60C then let totally cool down cold. On new tires only.

Are you running GT1 or GT2 at the nats?
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:55 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

When ever my LHS vacums thier track, it loses alot of traction.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ko
Sounds great.

Locally they are talking dropping compound all together so I might be in the same boat Japan or no Japan. . .

With heat cycles I have heard 15-20 min at 50-60C then let totally cool down cold. On new tires only.

Are you running GT1 or GT2 at the nats?

Jeff.

I'm will be running GT2 at the Nats if they have it held at Trackside cause if it's held in Aliso Veijo chances are I am not going. cause me and my parents will be in full swing when we are getting ready to move. We won't have enough energy to go to cali and back and move. My parents are painting up our rooms replacing sinks and cleaning grout. and will be doing yard work soon. just to get the house ready for sale.

as for the 50-60 degrees C. that would be a pretty good idea to try. Good Suggestion!

Last edited by Leester; 04-07-2007 at 09:55 AM.