R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edseb
Races aren't won on the straight, but in the infield. Sure there may be some gain on the straight, but the motors those guys are running will give you more than enough power anywhere else on the track. It's about how your car can carry speed in the corners and his cyclone is faster in the corners. BTW, Hara helped develop the Cyclone and Pro 4. If shafts were better, why did AE, HPI, Yokomo (they still have a shaft but their top car is belt), Tamiya (they have the EVO but it is being fazed out of their TRF line), go to belts? When's the last time a shaft car won against a belt car?
You know, this whole thing has gotten blown totally out of proportion. Look man, everyone knows belts are better for the infield and turns. Yes, if you dont know how to drive, you can fall victim to torque steer. Again, 2005 is not that far in the past when Atsushi Hara DOMINATED everyone. Yes, there are more top tourers that are belts. But, how many people are top quality racers? And, if something is winning, of course the manufacturers are going to pour more of their resources into it. It's only because a company like Tamiya conquered torque steer "too late" that the EVO is being dropped from their TRF line. But if more companies would have looked into this matter sooner, shafts might be the dominate factor right now.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #62
Tech Elite

What it comes down to is old technology that we have moved past. Shaft cars weren't that bad back in the day, but we've found a better way to do things and that's why the manufacturers have put their resources in belts. Touring cars have started to meet the plateau in development now and have settled on what works best. Sure there will always be companies and engineers trying things, but most of the TC companies (with the exception of Losi) have settled on a platform that works best through trial and error (2 belts, symetrical bulkheads, Low Cg upper deck, etc.). Even single belts have evolved out. At the Reedy Race the invitational Class had some AE drivers that were dealing with the ongoing problem of torque steer, they tried all sorts of things to try to minimize the affect, especially for the start since every race was heads up. The other drivers knew who they were and watched for them to pull right on the start. All this among drivers who can drive and are considered to be the best in the world.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #63
Tech Master

Quote:
What it comes down to is old technology that we have moved past. Shaft cars weren't that bad back in the day, but we've found a better way to do things and that's why the manufacturers have put their resources in belts. Touring cars have started to meet the plateau in development now and have settled on what works best. Sure there will always be companies and engineers trying things, but most of the TC companies (with the exception of Losi) have settled on a platform that works best through trial and error (2 belts, symetrical bulkheads, Low Cg upper deck, etc.). Even single belts have evolved out. At the Reedy Race the invitational Class had some AE drivers that were dealing with the ongoing problem of torque steer, they tried all sorts of things to try to minimize the affect, especially for the start since every race was heads up. The other drivers knew who they were and watched for them to pull right on the start. All this among drivers who can drive and are considered to be the best in the world.
You pretty much summed up what I said. The LCG, now that is huge. And Losi, that JRXS-R is nothing but a HPI Pro 3.5. Doubt it, I dont care. I know the daggers are coming. But, I re-iterate, Hara conquered it, but again, he is HARA! I owned a Cyclone and turning in and out of corners, the car was on rails; using the torque of the motor to propel the car forward. Off the line, it had a bit of a lag that with shaft, I didnt encounter. I prefer that instant power and yes, in turns, I have to roll off the throttle, but on the straights, anyone who may have passed me, gets caught.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Ok agreed. Just questioning you passing someone going to the straight. JK. Anyways, think we've made our points.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #65
Tech Master

Quote:
Ok agreed. Just questioning you passing someone going to the straight. JK. Anyways, think we've made our points.
The smog in Cali is blurring your vision, if someone is near me coming out of a turn, they are getting passed. One thing I will always hold true is the acceleration of shaft over belt...tough guy

Old 04-09-2007, 07:36 PM   #66
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
The smog in Cali is blurring your vision, if someone is near me coming out of a turn, they are getting passed. One thing I will always hold true is the acceleration of shaft over belt...tough guy
Ya Puffy!
CAlbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #67
Tech Adept

This makes me want a non-Hara Pro 4...
Yub, yub, cmdr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:40 AM   #68
Tech Adept

Default Shaft drive vs Belt drive?

It's all in your fingers and in setup....not in your car transmision type. I enjoy all my cars(shaft and belt) and i can't say that cyclone is faster over pro4 or another way around. All car need maintance and proper setup for track, it's easy to work on belt cars as they are full opened but it's few minutes diference.
Today belt drives are more in focus.
Regards
tomislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #69
Tech Master

Default Play on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAlbrecht
Ya Puffy!
Play on playa

Old 04-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #70
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomislav
It's all in your fingers and in setup....not in your car transmision type. I enjoy all my cars(shaft and belt) and i can't say that cyclone is faster over pro4 or another way around. All car need maintance and proper setup for track, it's easy to work on belt cars as they are full opened but it's few minutes diference.
Today belt drives are more in focus.
Regards
I guess all the invite guys at RROC didn't know how to use their fingers and set up their cars even though they are probably the best in the world and use the best mechanics.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #71
Tech Master

Default What are you, a glutton for punishment?

Quote:
I guess all the invite guys at RROC didn't know how to use their fingers and set up their cars even though they are probably the best in the world and use the best mechanics.
What are you an idiot? Look man, while the drivers may have some serious input, they ultimately have to roll with what the manufacturers tell them. Belts make things a bit easier to adjust for multiple races and diff access for belts is simpler. But if the manufacturers decided to push shafts, regardless as to what the drivers said, shafts it would be. If they said work with this, you would have drivers finding ways to make shafts work or less sponsored drivers. Now, put a cork in it!

Old 04-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #72
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
What are you an idiot? Look man, while the drivers may have some serious input, they ultimately have to roll with what the manufacturers tell them. Belts make things a bit easier to adjust for multiple races and diff access for belts is simpler. But if the manufacturers decided to push shafts, regardless as to what the drivers said, shafts it would be. If they said work with this, you would have drivers finding ways to make shafts work or less sponsored drivers. Now, put a cork in it!
Hmmmm....I would think that Customers dictate what the Manufacturers put on the market. If Customers want "belts" then the Manufactureres make belt cars. If sales are slow on Shaft cars then belt cars it is....etc.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #73
Tech Master

Default Hey slim....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil
Hmmmm....I would think that Customers dictate what the Manufacturers put on the market. If Customers want "belts" then the Manufactureres make belt cars. If sales are slow on Shaft cars then belt cars it is....etc.

You couldnt be more INCORRECT. Customers dictate zip. When Xray does their research, they rely on their engineers. Take a look at the T2. Just when everyone and their mother bought one, 7 months later, they came out with the T2007. CUSTOMERS were a bit peeved because they felt their cars were the latest and greatest, so why the new car so soon? It took AE how long to come up with a belt car...EVER. Consumers were begging and it was only due to the success of their competitors were they forced to come out with a belted car. Again, manufacturers go with what is successful with influence from customers, not the other way around.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:17 AM   #74
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:

You couldnt be more INCORRECT. Customers dictate zip. When Xray does their research, they rely on their engineers. Take a look at the T2. Just when everyone and their mother bought one, 7 months later, they came out with the T2007. CUSTOMERS were a bit peeved because they felt their cars were the latest and greatest, so why the new car so soon? It took AE how long to come up with a belt car...EVER. Consumers were begging and it was only due to the success of their competitors were they forced to come out with a belted car. Again, manufacturers go with what is successful with influence from customers, not the other way around.
It's always gonna be a give or take between the customer and the manufacturer. The manufacturer always try to make some kind of design and try something new to see what would be the most competitive to the market and catch the consumers eye whether its belt or shaft it's about whats going to be more competitive at the time being. Most of the manufacturers always go back and forth between belt and shaft drive. It's personal preference between shaft or belt. I know if you set both shaft or belt up properly they both can and will be competitive and win world championships with the right drivers. But I do agree that shaft cars launch faster out the gate, faster than belt but belt cars run tend to handle a bit better and belts are quiet but also higher maintainance because the belts tend to stretch out and also pop. But both are great and I personally like both and I love shaft drive alittle more than belt. But with the right belt car and set up, you can out perform shaft. It's been done. I do see what everyone's arguement and opinions are but it all comes down too personal preference at the end. Take Care Guys...
Old 04-12-2007, 07:52 AM   #75
Tech Addict

The TB02 is a good car for the cost. I had one and it was great for bashing. The car was strong, easy to tune and keep clean. That would be my choice...

Try a shaft car now and later try a belt car. See which one you like better. When it comes down to it it's the driver. The TFR415 and the EVO5 are almost the same car except ther middle of the car. Any of the the top guys would go beat us nasty with a stock TT-01...
jhigga15 is offline   Reply With Quote