R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #31
Tech Initiate

HI all
we bought 4 packs of smc4200wc about 6 weeks ago these were top money cells. we built and charged as per instructions since then they have been used once a week. each pack is used once anight. the packs are stored with wats left in till the next week.
when i discharge a week later before use on my orion digital discharger 3 packs remove around 1700mah and no 2 pack only 300mah.i then equalizeon my novak smart tray to 0.9v the cells are all over the place. the no2 pack that only had 300 in takes ages to come down ages longer than the other 3 packs and again all over the place.
it makes me wonder if we should have got budget cells half the price.
funny thing is we think the no 2 pack performs best of the lot.
wen we charge the cells the individual cells seem to have different temps.
is this the norm with them or are they just crap any thoughts.

cheers
T2 SLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to loopedout

Quote:
Unfortunately, with this performance comes the compromise of reduced reliability.
I think that statement sums it all up right there for any kind of high end racing equipment. Top fuel drag engines, high perf 2 stroke race engines, commutators, and on and on lol
THD Custom R/C Products/Team Holy Rollers/Team Terribles
loopedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:18 PM   #33
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I love these batteries.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
We are also releasing a "heavy" battery that weighs the same as an IB4200.
Any kind of time frame on that? I'm looking to pick up another LiPo or two and would like to hold out if possible for a heavy version. Can you give us any more info on this pretty please!!

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #35
Tech Elite

the new ib cells are very good
i think they will be out soon for all to get.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I still like gp cells more than IB's, yes the voltage may be slightly lower but they always will work, and you can charge them twice in a day if you have to, and for stock racing 3300's are light and put out near as much voltage
Old 04-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHoff7
I still like gp cells more than IB's, yes the voltage may be slightly lower but they always will work, and you can charge them twice in a day if you have to, and for stock racing 3300's are light and put out near as much voltage
the new ib cells can be charged twice a day
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #38
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Switch Blade

I cant believe all of this im hearing. I have had zero problems with any IB's ive bought in the last year. Im still using pakcs I got for the indoor champs and they charge very well for being abused. Kind of strange, but if everyone is saying these things then there must be a problem. Perhaps ive gotten lucky

Not to hijack this thread, but to the person that called the english person in charge of their body list a drunken idiot is an idiot themself. The parma zytec is a smashing body, so why is there the need to have 10 bodies legalized that would not even be used in the first place. In races where the protoform speed 12 is legal I still see people use the zytec, so I believe that proves my point right there.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Is anyone selling and/or matching GP4300s at this time?
Old 04-02-2007, 05:34 AM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

What i find funny is all of the people praising the EP cells.. There a reworked IP cell... Everyone said how bad the IP's sucked, now they dont.. I have bought 2 IB packs, both have vented at least one cell.. My IP's wich are 3800's and way older, still cycle better then my 3 race day 42's.. Glad to see the EP/IP cell comming back.. Will be nice to get a season out of some packs..

There is a way to make a dead cell alive again.. You need to short it out with one of the other cell in the pack.. it will bring it back.. Venting generally doesnt hurt the packs.. I have also heard alot of people dead shorting the older packs.. this seems to bring alot of life back to them.. however you lose about a minute of discharge time..
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to ernestf

Just to add that I found 1 dead cell among my 4 packs of IB4200SHV (one version before the WCE cells) - considered they are about 1 year old and it died one out of twenty four ... ... I recalled that 2-3 years ago when I ran GP3300, I never have this issue altho everyone agree that the output of IB4200 is much much more powerful than those GP3300 (never tried GP4300 tho).
ernestf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan
Any kind of time frame on that? I'm looking to pick up another LiPo or two and would like to hold out if possible for a heavy version. Can you give us any more info on this pretty please!!
I'd like to know the time frame on that too Rick and I'd also like to know if there will be any way people could send in old platinums to make them "heavy".

Unfortunately, I now have the time to wait on them as my local track still hasn't allowed lipos. Oh well, it's their loss. Until they allow them, I'll spend most of my time racing against nitros at the outdoor off-road track. It's too bad that some electric guys are forced to race with nitros because the new technology is being held back. I'm beginning to think that electric off-road will completely become extinct before the new technology even has the chance to save it.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #43
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Burbs,

I deadshorted an older pack that was cycling with low numbers, (1.20) and I didn't see any increase in voltage, as expected run time dropped. Does it take a couple of cycles for the deadshorted pack to improve? I did it as a last resort before giving it to a Novice at my track.

Thanks
Stetler17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:11 PM   #44
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

As far as I know the deadshorting technique worked great with the old nicd 2000's, jump in voltage, a few seconds of loss in runtime.

I tried doing it as well with NiMh, no voltage increase and capacity dropped a lot... So, no getting the cells below 0.9V or they're bad.

I'm also tired of the IBs holding up well for about a month or 2 and then dropping in performance (especially in 4cell 1/12th).
If someone in the Belgium/Germany region would have the EP cells I'd definately give em a try.
Quante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbs
What i find funny is all of the people praising the EP cells.. There a reworked IP cell... Everyone said how bad the IP's sucked, now they dont.. I have bought 2 IB packs, both have vented at least one cell.. My IP's wich are 3800's and way older, still cycle better then my 3 race day 42's.. Glad to see the EP/IP cell comming back.. Will be nice to get a season out of some packs..

There is a way to make a dead cell alive again.. You need to short it out with one of the other cell in the pack.. it will bring it back.. Venting generally doesnt hurt the packs.. I have also heard alot of people dead shorting the older packs.. this seems to bring alot of life back to them.. however you lose about a minute of discharge time..

Does it matter if its a reworked IP cell ? The IP cells when they had there 3800's were very impressive. Then fast forward to the 4200s bigger cell and i am sure east power has done some reworking of the chemicals in the cells, and have found a formula that seems to be producing some very nice cells. It is not strange to find the cell manufactures changing the formula of the chemicals within the cells to get better results.
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote