R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

GP is the best. I have 2 year old GP 3300's that still get excelent numbers for 2 years old... 3200mah and 2900mah... IB's are great when you use them ~20 times, but after that, they slow down to the point my 6 month old SHV 4200s can only get 3900 in them. If you buy packs every 2 months, IB are the way to go, but if you race of of an allowance and parents help(like me), you should go with GP. EP is great. I have 3 of the newest ones from the decesed Fusion Power, and they are excelent, but need 2 cycles to get to there potential every week. I have had them since Christmas, and they perform great.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude
The hobby industry will suffer a big blow if everyone starts buying Lipos over IBs. Think of all the chargers and dischargers that will be obsoleted. And I'm talking about the highend ones that don't have Lipo capability. But not only that, who needs some big honkin over-featured charger like say a Turbo 35 or Integy charger to lug around when all you need is a compact Lipo charger like a Triton Jr or Multi-plex to charge your Lipos. Also the cottage industries geared towards matching IBs and tuning brushed motors will go by the wayside once Lipos and brushless takes over. Then only the larger more technologically established companies will be around because they will be the only ones who can afford to make the change to Lipos and brushless.

On that thought, its good because we'll all benefit from technologically advanced products with greater reliability and performance. However, it will also reduce competition in the hobby market place. It may result in a tri-opoly, in which prices will go up. I hope not because this hobby doesn't need anymore high costs to scare away newcomers.
was this meant tongue in cheek? when you are buying from matchers you are buying after the product has already changed hands once (read markup).. if you buy direct from manufacturers you are buying wholesale... since there are several manufacturers of lipos there is still competition and thus price stability in the marketplace... where is having lighter less expensive chargers a bad thing again? couple that with greater durability and the added savings that brings, i see nothing but good for the rc hobbyist...

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpaintworks
Thanks Rick, glad to read your opinion.

So it would be important to legalize lipos as fast as possible to keep raceers at the hobby.

Sad truth is for 2007 no big race allows them.........
Well for 2007 Tamiya allows them in the F103 GT class for their TCS series and the KO Grand Prix TC (at Tamiya raceway) race allowed them in 2006 and if the race goes off as planned in 2007, they will be legal again.

Legalizing them is not necessary. Most big race organizers and club tracks run their own rules or modified versions of ROAR rules. There is no reason your local track or favorite big race should not allow LiPo in 2007.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to loopedout

if you guys are referring to the intellect 4200's, ive had one bad cell out of ten packs and by chance it was an SMC pack. I have 10 6 cell packs all 1.235+ avg v at 35Adisc and all charge over 4600mah on my CE equipment, I have had no issues what so ever, I charge them at 6A, discharge at 30A to .7v per cell and store them with a 1000mah charge, not one issue all season.
THD Custom R/C Products/Team Holy Rollers/Team Terribles
loopedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAlbrecht
Lipo is not an option for us guys that only race big races, or on the club level that only run Roar rules..Lipo sucks too, the cars of today will never have the balance to support both types of cells..

Sell your lipos to people that dont race , until Roar hands out lipo packs at ALL NATIONALS keep them..

BL and Lipos are the future but until then BUILD BETTER CELLS GUYS...

The cells of today suck Im totally shocked how many guys have bad cells out there, Right now the only good cells are the ones that aren't built yet..
The balance issue is a valid one. The is one car that does not face this problem, the Losi JRXS-R. We all agree that LiPo is the future, so it might be time for car manufacturers to realize that their designs will need to be optimized for use with LiPo batteries.

We are also releasing a "heavy" battery that weighs the same as an IB4200.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

If people are looking for an alternate to the IB cells Team Hurricane is now matching EP 4200 cells and then are very good cells, that do not self discharge and are very durable... And as far as being competitive with the IB 4200 wc ... at the most recent roar carpet nats the EP 4200 spotted 5 of the 10 cars in the a - main for stock touring car.
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Well for 2007 Tamiya allows them in the F103 GT class for their TCS series and the KO Grand Prix TC (at Tamiya raceway) race allowed them in 2006 and if the race goes off as planned in 2007, they will be legal again.

Legalizing them is not necessary. Most big race organizers and club tracks run their own rules or modified versions of ROAR rules. There is no reason your local track or favorite big race should not allow LiPo in 2007.
Spot on Rick, Thats what the British indoor winter series did here in the UK with no problems.
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #23
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxiomJacob
From what i have heard some of the Ib cell issues are in the way the cells are zapped during the matching process.
100% False.

All matchers have problems with IB cells. It's the nature of the cell because they are pushed to the limits for performance that racers demand. Ive heard that the newest batch coming out next week should be more reliable. But no one will know that till they are in, matched and ran/stored for a few weeks.

For the creator of this thread contact Danny at SMC and he should be able to help you out with your problem. [email protected]

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #24
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
The balance issue is a valid one. The is one car that does not face this problem, the Losi JRXS-R. We all agree that LiPo is the future, so it might be time for car manufacturers to realize that their designs will need to be optimized for use with LiPo batteries.

That's good to hear about the heavy battery! Schumacher and Losi have both designed their new cars specifically to accept the shape of the Platinum battery. I think that's a great trend, and possibly even the beginning of "acceptance" of a standard size.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

there are quite a few matchers out there with there own zappers and they have all had some issues with the ib cells. The issue is racers want the best ,,,, and the top level racers get new packs for each national event, so ib granted there wish of giving the best voltage and runtime but the downfall is that they dont always hold up if your a weekly club racer as well. IB i am sure is not going to be satisfied with there product ever lol as they are always trying different mixtures to make there cells better and better each new batch... And you cant fault them for that cause that is what the car manufactures do as well.

there are alterantives rick and another guy suggested lipos and or gp cells both have ups and downs... If you want the best packs for racing try the EP 4200 cells... I have had no problems with them and storing them between weeks when i get to the track and dont get to the track. Or your other choice for good quality racing cells would be the IB 4200 WC. And my friends at Team Hurricane sell both .
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

how do you get get a hold of anybody at hurricane on the site there is no email or phone #
yeaklet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to eforer

I ran EP 4200s at the carpet nats this year and liked them alot. They performed very well, were very consistent charge to charge and were less of a pita maitenence wise. I think these cells will really be a boon to the hobby. I believe teamkwik still has some in stock, although I know they have been selling out fast. There is a link in my sig.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
That is great to hear - one reason some peeps don't run lipo is b/c of a balancing issue - i thought ya'll might come up with something like that - way to go!!!!

As for the IB's - yes they are more sensitive, but as the dead horse is still kicking - i will give you my. $0.02.

As a racer you just have to care more for these batteries. One of the fastest guys around my place is using some cells he got back in Vegas and he can keep up with everyone else just fine with 7 month old IB WC.

These IB's have far been the best batteries in perfomance that I have ran since I started 2 years ago. They aren't as "heavy duty" as my old GP3300's, but when i go out to race with guys that have these new WC cells, it is hard to compete if you are running 3300's. And yes i know, you give some 3300's to a great driver, and some 4200's to average joe club racer - the great driver with not so good cells will win.

I am one for pushing the envelope in RC - i do wish we could not have to delicately handle these IB's - but i believe these cells WILL get better, but it will take some time to perfect it. I say keep on truckin'!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

http://teamhurricane.net/contact.php
Old 04-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

For better or for worse, the sub-c market is driven by performance. Right now, IB has the highest performing cell. Unfortunately, with this performance comes the compromise of reduced reliability. Rest assured, IB is well aware of the shortcomings of their cells and are working hard to maintain this high level of performance while improving durability. It is certainly not in their interest to see the industry suffer because of poor reliability issues with their products. No one wins.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote