R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #31
Tech Master

Don't you just love the internet..... I know I do.

I guess I'll have to be more careful how I answer a tech call.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:51 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Perhaps it's time to wait a month or so. I been wanting to buy a GTB/13.5 combo but most of the places selling for the $250 range, seem to have plenting of the faster motors but none of the stock combos. When you see the photos the shops selling the 13.5's, some are selling the early types. (or they are using the old photo. Then you have the warnings here that say some are showing photos of the latest versions, but they send you the older versions.
I only plan on running LIPO's and 2.4GHz sys, so this new version seems to be the ticket.

I guess there was nothing left to do but come out with a new product line of the older motors, at a reduced price, combined with a new ESC with lipo protection built in but not a GTB.
catcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Don't you just love the internet..... I know I do.

I guess I'll have to be more careful how I answer a tech call.
Tell me about it...LOL
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #34
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Novak realizes that changeover to new upgrades, designs and systems can be confusing. But the introduction of new products, or upgraded items is in response to user requests or a response to how customers actually use a product.

Examples: the SS Pro 13.5 motor (sintered rotor), or the 4-Cell GTB esc (no heat sink), the new XBR/EX Systems (lower prices), or the Spectrum GTBs (optimized for SS radios).

The Spread Spectrum versions of the GTB controller are stand-alone products and are not presently being offered as systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcars
Then you have the warnings here that say some are showing photos of the latest versions, but they send you the older versions.
I only plan on running LIPO's and 2.4GHz sys, so this new version seems to be the ticket.

I guess there was nothing left to do but come out with a new product line of the older motors, at a reduced price, combined with a new ESC with lipo protection built in but not a GTB.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #35
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just making a joke. I have no problem understanding your website. It's the retailer that one must be careful of. Not in a mean way either. Just Buyer beware. One thing I think could help on your website though, is a 3/4 view drawing that shows all measurments, including height. Not just the footprint.
catcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

At my local racetrack, we are allowed to run the 13.5 with the non-sintered rotor in the stock classes. Speed control temps have never been a problem, but motor temps can be. Will the GTB/SS lower motor temps at all, or only effect ESC temps?
Old 04-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #37
Tech Adept

I just got my SS GTB today from my LHS, can't wait to try it out this weekend
losi nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwkpony
At my local racetrack, we are allowed to run the 13.5 with the non-sintered rotor in the stock classes. Speed control temps have never been a problem, but motor temps can be. Will the GTB/SS lower motor temps at all, or only effect ESC temps?
The GTB/SS will only lower the temps of its self, the best way to cool the motors are to run those heat sink motor sleeves.

Sunshine Coast QLD AUSTRALIA

"If you stand still long enough you'll go backwards"
Drewdc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:31 AM   #39
Tech Rookie

Thank you MR. Khan for taking the time to explain this in detail. It is text book engineering and exactly what the press released claims with more detail and maybe a few unintended admissions. I agree with almost all of it and I have to say you made my case for me nicely.

I can accept that you had to increase switching speed to the point that there are problems with crystal radios because the unit cannot handle the heavy loads and overheats even with a heat sink and a fan. I guess for marketing purposes that had to be shortened to ‘Spectrum Optimized’. Otherwise it really does not have that ‘I gotta have it’ ring to it.

If it truly makes the unit considerably better, then perhaps the trade off is worth it. If it simply makes it work then I still say it is a Spectrum Bandaid and a marketing spin.

Some may argue that the GTB did not have thermal problems to begin with. I suggest you search the word ‘Thermal’ in the 60 pages on Rctech in the electric onroad section ‘New Novak Brushless system’. It is not like it is a secret that it has been an issue.

I think you should check out the competition a little closer. Many products are switching much faster than you mention. I believe the Castle unit switches in less than 100ns or 10 times faster and so does the Quark unit. I see Tekin does not even have a heatsink on their new unit so they must also be switching pretty fast to pull that off. Somehow they all controlled the RF and do not require the use of 2.4Ghz radio.

Now that it has been explained (admitted) that RF and heat could not be controlled at the same time for some reason in this circuit I will leave it be. At least that is better than a creative marketing angle to cover up a design problem. However for those in the know I have to say you have lost your position as the technology leader and then tried to tell us it was a good thing and we should be excited about it.
factoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:52 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

Quote:
Originally Posted by factoid
Thank you MR. Khan for taking the time to explain this in detail. It is text book engineering and exactly what the press released claims with more detail and maybe a few unintended admissions. I agree with almost all of it and I have to say you made my case for me nicely.

I can accept that you had to increase switching speed to the point that there are problems with crystal radios because the unit cannot handle the heavy loads and overheats even with a heat sink and a fan. I guess for marketing purposes that had to be shortened to ‘Spectrum Optimized’. Otherwise it really does not have that ‘I gotta have it’ ring to it.

If it truly makes the unit considerably better, then perhaps the trade off is worth it. If it simply makes it work then I still say it is a Spectrum Bandaid and a marketing spin.

Some may argue that the GTB did not have thermal problems to begin with. I suggest you search the word ‘Thermal’ in the 60 pages on Rctech in the electric onroad section ‘New Novak Brushless system’. It is not like it is a secret that it has been an issue.

I think you should check out the competition a little closer. Many products are switching much faster than you mention. I believe the Castle unit switches in less than 100ns or 10 times faster and so does the Quark unit. I see Tekin does not even have a heatsink on their new unit so they must also be switching pretty fast to pull that off. Somehow they all controlled the RF and do not require the use of 2.4Ghz radio.

Now that it has been explained (admitted) that RF and heat could not be controlled at the same time for some reason in this circuit I will leave it be. At least that is better than a creative marketing angle to cover up a design problem. However for those in the know I have to say you have lost your position as the technology leader and then tried to tell us it was a good thing and we should be excited about it.
Do you work for LRP or something? LOL!

Get over yourself already!
Old 04-11-2007, 01:17 AM   #41
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

This thread is beginning to look like a smear campaign by a competitor.

Did you Novak guys reject any EE job applicants lately?

Last edited by syndr0me; 04-11-2007 at 01:30 AM.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:01 AM   #42
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
This thread is beginning to look like a smear campaign by a competitor.

Did you Novak guys reject any EE job applicants lately?

Hmmm.

I have wondered about this. There have been many posts copied/pasted on at least one other forum VERBATIM!

I love my Novak brushless equipment. And any other Novak product I have ever had for that matter. The Novak Customer Service is second to none!

I'm still waiting for and LRP COMP that I sent in for service back in early February. It's a long story. That ends with poor customer service.
Faster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #43
Tech Elite

words are just words..many engineers have different theories...look at the aero of a formula 1 car, every engineer will prove with a textbook his design is faster...

This will be proven on the track not with useless can be copied and misinterpreted words....

now let's talk about setting this thing up
or
if dual caps work better
etc...
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Will the #1711 GTB Spread Spectrum Brushless/brush ESC work with any of the Novak Brushless motors?
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #45
Company Representative

The Spread Spectrum GTBs will work with all of the Novak 540 size motors and they have no brush motor limit.

More info:
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/es...rum/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex
Will the #1711 GTB Spread Spectrum Brushless/brush ESC work with any of the Novak Brushless motors?
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote