R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-01-2003, 03:36 PM   #1
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Parking lot Tires.

Ok guys I will be running on a blown off parking lot so most of the crud should be off. It dosn't matter if I run foams or rubber, but I want decient grip as well as life span. What tires do the parkinglot racers out there use?

Thanks.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 06:11 PM   #2
R/C Tech Founder

Give Sorex 40s, 36s or 32s a try, depending on the temperature of the surface (higher temperature means harder compound, higher numbers are harder).
Old 04-01-2003, 08:22 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Thanks Futureal, any idea on what inserts to use?
Old 04-01-2003, 08:56 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Fatdoggy- Try the Takeoff tires....here in the SoCal area we run parkinglot and the Takeoffs seem to work at almost all the tracks.... from concrete to asphault!! They come with inserts that work well and you can even get them mounted!! try www.speedtechrc.com good luck!!
Old 04-01-2003, 08:58 PM   #5
R/C Tech Founder

With the Sorex, I would start with a medium or medium-soft insert and work from there. Check wear and grip and see where you need to go for the next set.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:38 PM   #6
Tech Elite

rto997 - Thanks, but I've read some posts about the sketchy durability of the Takeoff's(grooving, uneven wear...), I'll try them eventually though.

Futureal - Thanks for the info.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:44 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mkennedy

try some sorex28 or 32's w/ red HPI inserts, the tires are temp. sensitive, higher #'s for higher temps. it seems the tires work better when they are at the warmer end of the range they are made for. hope this helps....kennedy
Old 04-01-2003, 10:09 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think Takeoffs wear depends greatly on setup. I've ran a new set of CS27's with 3 battery packs and they still look new. Another person can run them and they groove them. If you don't like Takeoffs, the Sorex tires are very nice. Like what was said on here.. HPI reds will work nicely. Especially if it's a parking lot track where traction isn't the greatest. Of course down here, I've ran Foam tires in a parking lot with great success. Of course if it's really bad, you could try some Xpatterns!
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:11 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Default Parking lot Tires.

fatdoggy;

Take-Off's , Sorex's, Yokomo's. They are ALL good tires and each has it's favorite surface to excel on.

Sorex: 36R's have the widest temperature range of all the Sorex compounds. Plenty of grip in cool or hot weather. Sorex's work best on Smooth (sealed/resealed) Asphalt surfaces. They do not like concrete very well.

Take-Off's: A good all around tire for most surfaces. The CS27's are great for electric and the CS32's work good on Nitro Cars. On concrete they cannot be beat. One of the best concrete Tires I've ever ran. (and I've have NEVER had the wear problems that other people claim)

Yokomo's (138G series): Probably the best all around tire for Rough (older) Asphalt surfaces that have the tops of the gravel exposed. Very temperature sensitive, do not work very well on Smooth asphalt or on concrete.

These have been my favorite brands of tires for the surfaces mentioned over the last few years.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 11:02 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Awsome, thanks guys that helps alot.

Cheers.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:00 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorex tires work great. 24r work with track temp from 60deg 80 deg. Run 24r mostly in stock. 28r, 75 to 93 deg. 32r, 85 to 105 track temp 36r, 100 to 158 track temp, 40r 140 to ? The wear on the tires is no problem.
I hear that Sorex tires are working on a Pre-mounted and glued tire with Yomoko USA and going to use Yokomo wheels. Sorex wheel are very straight and hard, just to hard for the begginer or average driver. They are made of ABS, which is very hard.. and will break if you hit a lot of walls. If you are a good driver and do not hit a lot of things, you will be fine with Sorex wheels.
Hope this helps...................
YLLIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:03 AM   #12
Tech Adept

What? Nobody else wants to comment on FOAM tires?

Well, I'll chime in.

During the summer months we run on an unprepared asphalt parking lot. We all run foams, not because of a requirement, but because they are faster. Several people have tried rubber, but none have been able to keep up.

We usually run Plaid front and Purple rear, but there has been some recent experimentation. Some run Double Purple front and Purple rear, others have tried a Pink / Double Pink combination. I have also heard of the Cyan / Tan combination (from TRC).

In stock, I usually get a minimum of 4 weeks out of a set of tires. That includes several practice runs each race day. Usually a total of about 7 runs per week.

Those that have tried rubber noted that the tires lost a lot of their grip after a couple of runs. While the rubber may last, it wasn't competetive the vast majority of it's life. With foams, their grip remains fairly constant through their entire life.

Jeff Gilligan
gotpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:44 AM   #13
Tech Master

Gotpez, your right foams are faster, about 3 to 4 tens of a lap. Rubber tires do fall off after 3 to 6 runs by about 2 tens, not much more 4 tens after 15 runs. You can get between 6 runs and that is being hard on the tires up to 20 runs on a set of rubber tires and if you are a begginer driver much more and no worries about chucking. I race foams and is is a blast if you want to spend a lot of money on tires. Foam tires are awsome, but if you are a average racer with not a lot of money, foams is not the way to go. I have never seen a race car on foam tires yet. Rubber tires are the real deal for us. I have chucked 3 pair of tires in 5 laps due to other drivers running in the back of me. If you are getting 7 runs on tires you must not be cutting them down ? If you want to be fast you will have to cut your tires down or they will chunck a lot easier.
Lets not forget if you are a 50% percent or factory driver this does not count LOL They do not count because they do not have to spend the money, it is free for them.
Plus you guys are always fast in Ohio, Look at the master Mike Blackstock The MAN. Being as fast as he as for so long, It must be nice. I wish I had half his talent, it would get me far in the r/c world.
just my 2 cents.

Last edited by YLLIB; 04-02-2003 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:54 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

YLLIB- I elieve he is saying he gets 7 runs a week and 4 weeks.... that's 28 runs!

I agree foams are easier to deal with. However, there are also subtle differences asthe foams wear down.... at full height or even 59mm like I true mine down to they are pretty forgiving, but as the wear and become smaller they start acting like real racing slicks (ie: more grip, but faster break away) Some guys mistake this for an overall loss of traction.....

DOGGY-- gonna try and make Frederick on Saturday?? If so what class are you planning on running? I may try a set of T/O 27 pe-mounts, while my brother will be sporting Sorex 32's......... Otherwise I will be on the purple/plaid's ..... all in stock....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 09:06 AM   #15
Tech Master

I do agree also with you..