Parking lot Tires.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parking lot Tires.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the help everybody. I think I'll get Sorex 32's with red hpi inserts or Takeoff 27's.

IMPACTPLAYR - I might make it, I only have three batteries, is that enough, is there enough time to re-charge in between heats? Also I'd be using the batt from my "old" full size car to power my charger, if I do so will the car start at the end of the day? I'm asuming they don't let you use there AC power. I'd rather run in novice for my first time racing but since my car isn't rtr I'm not sure if they'll let me, if not I'll run in stock. Also I only have one frequency 64am how many do you need to race?

Thanks.

I'm going to mimi's this arvo to get some parts, and batteries plus to see if they have a 12v batt and charger(to see if I can save the old car batt).
Old 04-02-2003, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yes you can use the AC. Just bring a powe cord, or pit by me, Just look for the purple ford ranger splash...... can't miss it. I have plenty of outlets and long enough power cord.

3 packs should be ok, but you might be stretching it, I have some 2400's you can borrow if you need to.

If you need any help I will be more than willing, and any of my support equiptment (set-up guages, tweak station, tire lathe, motor lathe) is available for anyone who asks nicely and is willing to use it at my pit......

You also don't need a RTr to race in novice class, but stock isn't that bad, and most of the faster guys will be runnng 10T mod/rubber tire.

We are gonna try and get there around 10:30-11:00.......

Hope to see ya there!!
Old 04-02-2003, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Geez thanks that would be awsome. I'll get there around the same time and come say hi(I'll be wearing a dirty nike hat). If you don't mind I'll bring a power cord, pit near you and use one of your power sockets if my cord's too short.

Thanks.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 04-02-2003 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Sorex is the way to go, the 32's will do you good. Good luck and have fun most of all!!...kennedy
Old 04-03-2003, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

I ALWAYS true my foam tires down to start with. The tires come from the manufacturer with a diameter of about 2.5 inches. That is WAY too big for me. I usually cut them down to about 2.4 for asphalt racing and put them away when they are about 2.25.

I get at least 20 runs out of a set of tires. I'm no pro, so I still wreck and get wrecked, so I have had tires chunk, but that doesn't necessarily ruin a tire. I run chunked tires all the time, even taking TQ and wins with them. A small piece of missing foam is hardly noticable.

Foams do change their handling characteristics over their lifetime, but not as drastically as rubber does. If you adjust your ride height as your tire size changes, the difference will be much less than 1/10th second per lap.

Based on my calculations, foam is by far the cheapest tire to run even for beginning racers. Considering even a conservative 20 runs per set VS the 6 good runs you stated for rubber, foams win. The cost of wheels, rubber tires and inserts is about the same as a set of foams. Even if they were cheaper, they would need to be about 1/3rd the cost to compare.

I know that some groups only allow rubber (unfortunately), but if foams are allowed, that is the only tire I would have on my car.

Jeff Gilligan
Old 04-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

I bought some Sorex 32R's yesterday, the shop I went to didn't have hpi red inserts so I got some yok medium inserts. Should be ok. Also got another batt pack.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

FATDOGGY, You will be fine wIth those inserts. You should have very good traction but more tire wear than normal., The air gap is a little more than the HPI red. YOU WILL BE HAPPY.
Good luck and have fun.......................

Last edited by YLLIB; 04-04-2003 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

YLLIB - Cool

kennedy - I will

Thanks again everybody.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Tech Addict

YLLIB-is that code for something??haha....kennedy
Old 04-04-2003, 02:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What up Jet Mike, Hope everything is going well for you. Are you going to make it to the 4th Annual On-Road Speedworld Cup, April 26-27?
Old 04-04-2003, 07:05 PM
Tech Addict

yllib-i am so busy right now w/work I can't see straight. I doubt that I will make it. Jet is short for my wifes name...kennedy
Old 04-06-2003, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Fatdoggy- was that you with the C4? Sorry I didn't stop by and chat for a little but, but I wasn't sure it was you and one of my buddies showed up and we where just cruzing around chatting..... Looked like you could have used my tire warmers yesterday. It seemed your car didn't really come around until 2 min. into the race......
Old 04-06-2003, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

No sweat mate, thanks for telling me about the racing I had a ball.

Yer I was running the C4. As you spotted I had crap for traction at the start of each race(hell I spun accelerating off the line and then a few corners later in the last race ). Also the servo saver on my car was too light the whole day which was the reason I had such a wide line, but that will be fixed for the next race. I'll take some WD40 next time to try and gain traction from the start, I'm not ready to drop $40 on tire warmers yet. Other things were I'm running 2400's (which lost there punch around the same time I started to gain traction) and a rather low downforce body (that I'll place lower on the chassis next time) and of course some more minor tuning.

Why didn't you run?

Cheers.

P.s. Next time come say g'day.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Well, I invested too much stock in the weather forcast, I knew rain wasn't really the issue, but I was expecting a much larger turn-out and temps to drop below 45 by 6:00..... so I wasn't expecting the race to be over soo soon......

Also the night before I was expecting the rain to last until' 2:00pm so I left the carpet shock oil in and had the car ready for some carpet action which fell thru also....LOL Hopefully I will make it this Saturday if I can convince the wife...LOL

BTW: I have a set of tire warmers......
Old 04-06-2003, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

O well such is life.

Thanks, I'll try the wd and if it dosn't work I'll give your warmers a shot.

Just out of interest do you know what motor, batt's and gearing Mike Herald Jr. was running on his xxx-s?

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.