R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Novak Vs Hacker Brushless (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/15613-novak-vs-hacker-brushless.html)

RC1q2w3e4r 04-01-2003 05:49 AM

Novak Vs Hacker Brushless

Anyone any views to share on this?

Anyone tried the novak BL? Any good?

Looks terrific with the various user selectable modes.

Cheers

:blush: :blush:

Ben_Busta 04-01-2003 03:29 PM

There is really no comparison, Novak will dominate the brushless world as far as racing goings. Just my two sense.

Kevin K 04-01-2003 03:54 PM

I have only seen the Hacker motors for aiplanes and all I have to say is the way they are built is very nice and they look cool with carbon fiber holding it all together.....ohh and the planes using them were doing about 160 to 190mph....not bad for an electric plane:eek: Novak has great customer service so thats a BIG bonus for them.....Im sure that this will just turn into the age old debate of Reedy Vs Trinity Vs Orion and so on.

stefan 04-01-2003 04:33 PM

Get the Hacker, it's made in Germany, so it's better, period!:sneaky:

miniman 04-02-2003 04:39 AM

hacker/novak

Well, they are two very different systems.. The Hacker Car systems are sensorless, and the novak is sensored. I don`t have the Car comp. esc from hacker, but I believe tha Novak unit is smoother. The novak esc is also a lot smaller than the hacker/jeti esc. But, the Hacker systems are a Lot more powerful than the Novak Sport system is. I e-mailed hacker germany on the size of the esc, and they said they are working on a new and smaller car esc :)

DEH 04-02-2003 09:58 AM

The Novak is nice since its a drop in replacement for any 05 can motor. Its sensored so the controller does not have to "guess" where the rotor is in order to get things spinning the right direction. The sensorless controllers have trouble with acceleration from a dead stop because they need to figure out where the rotor is before putting the power in. For onroad the sensorless do well, but offroad the sensored works better at this time.

Another thing is BEC. Most of the sensorless controllers, even with BEC, require the use of a receiver pack for proper operation. The sensored Novak, and Aveox as well, do not require this.

*Pure speculation* I'm wondering if the reason the Orion is late is because of this dead stop, throttle delay problem that sensorless have?

Cheers

D

rdub202 04-02-2003 01:14 PM

rock on stefan go germany im goin there next summer i have to find some r/c places for where i am goin!! as far as the motor question all that i knw is a lot more ppl have the hacker!

DEH 04-02-2003 01:44 PM

rock on stefan go germany im goin there next summer i have to find some r/c places for where i am goin!! as far as the motor question all that i knw is a lot more ppl have the hacker!
Umm... The Novak just came out. I would be willing to bet the Novak will be in more cars than Hacker within the next month. Especially offroad. I'm not knocking the Hacker, its just that I hate that throttle delay. Especially on the jumps or tight corners. Donkey flips that can be avoided with instant throttle are unavoidable sometimes with sensorless. A receiver pack is a pain too.

rdub202 04-03-2003 12:38 PM

woah there

sorry for not knowing everything im not a frikin knw it all like u apparantly expect me to b. i just stated what i knew now knwing that the novak is brand new then that would make sense. if it would plz u then i will edit my post. i dont knw if u meant to be so harsh but thas how it came accross to me.

DEH 04-03-2003 07:40 PM

sorry for not knowing everything im not a frikin knw it all like u apparantly expect me to b. i just stated what i knew now knwing that the novak is brand new then that would make sense. if it would plz u then i will edit my post. i dont knw if u meant to be so harsh but thas how it came accross to me.
Cool your jets. It was a statement. Not a personal attack. I'll put more smileys in next time.

Spillertwo 04-04-2003 08:49 AM

Hello guys,

I have the Novak system mounted in my Asso TC3 and have a friend that ran a Hacker 7 turn motor in his TC3.

The main differences are:
+ the Novak system works equally smooth as a normal brushed
system: it starts normal, it brakes normal and it accelerates
normal
+ the Novak system is comparable to a brushed motor with
about 16 to 17 turns when you run it with 6 cells.
+ the Hacker system is much more powerfull and is comparable
to a 10 turn brushed motor when you run it with 6 cells.
According to my friend however it is to aggressive and is
hard to drive (and he has a lot of experience), it brakes
difficult, it accelerates way to hard,... He used a Schulze
speed controller.

At first I was a little disappointed with the Novak system. I run my car on a large track and it's all about speed. With 6 cells the Novak isn't that fast.

Today however I tested the system with 7 cells and it is nice.
It runs comparable to a 12 turn motor and I had about 6 minutes runtime with 2400 cells. So there is still margin to go up in gearing.
The motor wasn't hot after I ran it, the controller was hot.

Spiller

izzyracer 04-04-2003 08:58 AM

Lehner 5300 with a Schulze 58ce. The Lehner is powerful and small has a great powerband. The Schulze is made specifically for RC cars and trucks. The best hidden secret in Brushless for Cars and Trucks.

Jared Kirkwood 04-04-2003 09:12 AM

There is been a guy at our local track practicing with a hacker system in his offroad truck. He let me drive it and here's what I thought.

The good:
He used unmatched stick packs (2400mah). He was getting 6 min runtime easy with speeds of an 12-10 turn on the strait.

The bad:
I thought this was completely undrivable for race condtions. The throttle was delayed. The deadband was at least 20% . The throttle band wasn't that linear. It seemed to me there isn't any midrange with the hacker motor. It was either all go or nothing much at all. This made riding through the mid-powered sweepers and mid-power double double sections hard to do consistent. Braking was very harsh. It seemed to be all or nothing as well.

My Conclusions:
For backyard this setup would be fine. You get good efficiency and speed but for racing offroad this motor combo would never work for me and most of the racers at the track.

There is another racer that has a novak system. I've heard it works better but I've yet to get to run it. Maybe I will get to this weekend. If I do I'll post what I think.