Tech Adept

they are two types that TO makes
buggyman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:18 AM   #437
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to torchedlh

actually i think you're wrong.....take a look here:
http://www.team-orion.ch/products/wh...oams.asp#Tires

"fresh kicks" are the only micro tires listed here. and if you look up the part number on tower hobbies, they're just referred to as "Team Orion Foam Front Soft Micro Tire".
torchedlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:15 AM   #438
Tech Adept

sry bout that, where do u race at?
buggyman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:32 AM   #439
Tech Master

Team Orion does (did?) make rubber slicks, but they sucked and didn't even come with inserts, so I had to cut servo tape... Horrible experience. Also, TO is supposed to be using that 'Fresh Kicks' label for their premade lineup of tires which should already(or shortly) include 1/10 touring car foams, Maxx tires (seen those already) and 1/10 truck tires. Not sure about the 2.2 inch truck tires, but I am pretty sure about the others. (maybe that wasn't part of your question) If anything, they make two widths.

I use those fresh kicks. Med rears and hards fronts. I run my car rwd. I like it a lot better that way and it is faster on track and for speed runs. It is sometimes hard to handle with six cells and mods in my backyard. My rears have been worn so much that they are only about 1mm thick now.

Oh yeah, kits definitely sound good. If I could get it locally, that would probably be my choice. But I already have so many leftover batteries, I don't know what to do with em!
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:44 AM   #440
Tech Regular

i don't race as of yet....but i don't think there is really anywhere to race around the san francisco bay area. i know of a few places in fairfield, but that's over an hour away.

anyway i'm still contemplating between foams and hpi slicks. i run dusty cement in my garage and i'm not sure what to go with. if i do run foams, what should i go with; soft rear/med front or med rear/hard front?
Old 04-15-2003, 02:06 AM   #441
Tech Master

I would say soft rears, med fronts TO foams, and possibly get soft fronts as an option.

I've found that HPI slicks work better in the heat of the day, while foams are a little more inconsistent at that time than rubbers. But at night, foams are the way to go. Then again, it gets kind of hot in the day here in Hawaii. If you are running on slick concrete or dusty concrete I would suggest soft HPI rear slicks with med. soft fronts. If you a little traction, and little dust, I'd probably go with foams.

Oh yeah, TO foams slip off of the inner wheels real easy. I usually glue my wheels to the inner wheels, but when I was experimenting with a variety of tires, it was totally unacceptable how easily they traveled in both directions on the inner wheel; skinnier as well as coming off.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:18 AM   #442
Tech Regular

what exactly does the compound of the front tires affect?
Old 04-15-2003, 03:33 AM   #443
Tech Master

Steering throughout the corner (entry, middle, exit), because it is the main component of the vehicles ability to grip the track. With foams, a softer front tire gives more turn-in, and mid corner steering. A harder front tire would cause you to push more.

The main difference between foams and rubber tires are their consistency. Foams grip, but once they lose it, you can't really 'come out clean'. Not that you're going to spin out, but that corner is obviously going to lower lap times by .2-.5 seconds on its own. Rubber tires break traction more evenly so basically your car kind of drifts. Foams don't really drift, they push or they oversteer. Also, you have to drive them differently. There are two ways to drive foams and driving rubber tires on micros is right in between the foam driving techniques.

Foams, you can either drive relatively hard, where you have a setup and matching driving style that can easily break traction (slide a bit around corners); or you can very steady. If you drive steady, you have to be very smooth on the throttle. If you are committed to a turn, you can't really change throttle position too much or else your car will push (if you speed up the car, or steer too much -not necessarily oversteer- but the front end just bites in too much and sends you on a line that totally kills exit speed. Rubber tires are in between. If you push too hard, all four tires will slide just a little. If you check your speed in the middle of the corner, your front end won't bite-in and turn toward the wall. Overall, foams are faster almost all the time for me, unless things are really slick.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:28 PM   #444
Tech Regular

ok i'll go with some team orion foams. i was thinking of picking up a few compounds for front and back. i was considering soft and med front and rears....
Old 04-17-2003, 04:09 AM   #445
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by torchedlh
ok i'll go with some team orion foams. i was thinking of picking up a few compounds for front and back. i was considering soft and med front and rears....
That sounds good. Unless you need to, don't buy more than those two pairs. If you need different ones get them once you have experienced the original foams you purchase. I am just saying that because I hate it when I end up with too many tires because I think I need 'em, but in reality, I only need them in a very particular case (making the other sets useless). If you have to order online or something, then get as many as you find plausible.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:35 AM   #446
Tech Regular

i was thinking of substituting hpi rear soft for the med foams..... have you ever run rubber in back and foams in front?
Old 04-18-2003, 03:40 AM   #447
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by torchedlh
i was thinking of substituting hpi rear soft for the med foams..... have you ever run rubber in back and foams in front?
I have, and in my opinion it sucks. Like I wrote (overly long) before, I feel that foam and rubber tires have very different handling characteristics and they didn't work together well for me, in any combination I tried, and I tried quite a few, including rear rubber tires up front and front foams in the rear.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:48 PM   #448
Tech Regular

well today i picked up a few sets of TO foams: soft rears, soft fronts, med fronts.

they do bite a lot better than the stock tires... however they're already started to chunk from running on my sidewalk for 20 minutes. i guess i'll keep them to my garage floor.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:59 AM   #449
Tech Master

Watch out for barriers like wood which will cause it to chunk even worse. These are definitely for smooth surfaces, but even chunked, their traction is much better.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:48 PM   #450
Tech Regular

RISE, RISE FROM THE DEAD!!