R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-31-2003, 11:18 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default losi xxx-s graphite to 414mII

i've ran my graphite plus in a couple of races and i hate it, the steering slop just pisses me off and it's so fragile. Everytime someone tangles up with me i always end up breaking something I was planning on buying a 414mII or an evoIII, i'm leaning toward the 414mII. My brother owns an x-ray and its totatly solid. No slop what so ever. He never breaks anything. Whenever i have my Losi set up we run similar lap times, but when theirs a wreck, i'm usually the one out of the race. I guess my question would be does anyone who owns and races a 414mII believe it is a pretty solid car. I really want to buy this car soon. I just want to know what parts people break the most. Ordering parts online is not a big deal, no one supports tamiya where i'm from. So accesibility of parts is not a big deal.

P.S. i'm selling my losi on ebay soon with extra parts, front one way, and hks carbon pattern body for about $320ish. i'll post the link as soon as i get it up.
warlord385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 04:21 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Hey warlord385,

Why don't you look at the Xray?

Its a very solid car, the only thing iv'e broken so far is a rear C-Hub suspension arm cause by me dumping on a corner and a very fast Mod ramming me!

The 414MII is a nice car also, so either one of them your in business..
(SE)XRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 05:37 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have a 414 and I have never broken anything on it. It is real solid. It does have a little slop in the steering and a-arms, but not much to worry about. I would say the x-ray and 414 are just about on par with each other. How about the evo3, or the new shaft yokomo coming out?

TC3 is more fragile, similar to losi.

Good Luck

GoFaster
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 07:26 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Go for the XRay T1R ,it is the composite version of the XRay. and cheaper.

My friend has an Xray and he beats his car to death!! Never breaks anything.
Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:28 AM   #5
Tech Adept

The thing is i don't want an x-ray, my brother has one so i don't want the same car as him. Its just this thing. As far as the 414mII goes, what parts do you guys break the most
Old 04-01-2003, 10:40 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Geetoo Send a message via Yahoo to Geetoo

Go for the evo3 instead. Hope you realize the trend goes back to shaft. Good response and power you dont have to change belts whatsoever.
www.team-durango.com
www.actionhobbiesonline.net
Geetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:48 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to uppy
Default 414m parts

the arms are quite strong wether its the hard ones or the regular plastic ones. it takes quite a good hit to break one of those so those shouldnt be too much of a worry. probably the most common parts to break are the streering knuckle (stripping the kingpin holes) and the C-hub (rare but sometimes can break). besides that its built like a tank. I have had 6 414m cars and have nothing but good things to say about it. it has some faults but every car does.
uppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:51 AM   #8
Tech Adept

thanks a lot for the info. So in everyone's honest opinion, what would you say are the problems with the car.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:20 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

My Bro and i run 414 world rep. kits. we also have a m2 as well for back up, Last sunday my brother broke for the first time, his rear arm broke after rubbing a track marking down the straight. We've been running our wr's as soon as they were released (about 8 months) racing almost every week. We were really surprised because we've had no breaks since we first ran them!
This may be down to us not crashing a lot. At most meetings we may only get marshalled about once for the entire meeting. Plus the fact we mainly run stock but there are still other guys running at the top at our track who break frequently.

If you want to toughen up your car you could think about getting Alu hub carriers made by Square and Racy. These look cool in blue and will match your bulkheads.

The evo3 uses 414 arms and stuff so i guess the 'breakability' would also be low.

If you want an evo3 then i'd wait a few months (May) until the limited edition RED surikarn version comes out.
TRF414WCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 01:03 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by TRF414WCR

If you want an evo3 then i'd wait a few months (May) until the limited edition RED surikarn version comes out.
Good idea,

I wanted an Evo3 too, but price were not right at the moment.
So I will wait for new edition Evo3.

I have broken the lower deck on my 414M2.
Due hard frontal hit with metal side board.
Titanium screw bend and damaged lower deck.
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 01:16 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to uppy
Default problems?

I wouldnt really call them problems but i guess some people will tell different stories from others about the car since everyone drives and treats their stuff differently. alot of people do not like to tape batteries in so if you're using saddle packs it might be an issue. but there are other clever ways of holding packs in such as velcro straps, dan's buckle-type straps and some people have used the xray battery holddowns too. I machined the chassis on a friends car to accept the hpi pro2 battery holders which use a velcro holding mechanism. to me, i really dont care about taping batteries in as i have done it so long its just become part of the routine. I have heard of people breaking the stock center one-way pulley but I havent ever done this so perhaps its just a matter of hitting things head-on which is causing this to happen. but truthfully if you hit anything hard enough something has gotta give. overall its a pretty consistant car once set up and taken care of. some people may say that once you hit a board or something it may tweak slightly but honestly i never had that problem and with routine maintanance it shouldnt be a problem. outta the box its a great car with good potential. if i had a choice I would get another 414m over an evo3 just on the principle that it has never let me down.
uppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 01:35 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

Never tweaked a 414? I do find this a problem occasionally a few times i've clipped a board and tweaked a chassis, soon i'm gonna countersink the top deck to stop this though. I've heard of people bending bulkheads and stuff but i don't know if it's true.
I'd rather have a 414 over an Evo but i'm still going to get the surikarn red evo3. Even surikarn thought at this stage the 414 was faster than the evo, but this will change cause that is the only car the TRF team are using at present and i'm sure they'll get it up to pace sooner or later. saying this i don't think that there will be a discontinuation of the 414, with rumours such as a version with the new lightweight bulkheads and SSG parts included in the kit (already got mine ). Plus the fact the car has just won the worlds.
But, if you take into consideration the 414 has developed since it's release in '98 evolving to a stage where it wins a world championship, how much more can be done to improve it? the car has been around almost 5 years and this is quite a while compared to other current TC's. Is it time for a change?
I would wait to seen just what tamiya are up to before making a decision on either a 414 or an Evo. you could be dissapointed.
BTW i'm sticking with my 414wcr
TRF414WCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 04:30 PM   #13
Tech Adept

i've decided not to get the evo, i kind of need a car now. My losi graphite is going on ebay as we speak, and i'm going through racing withdrawal. So i guess the 414mII is the choice for me. I don't want an x-ray. I just don't want to buy another piece of shit car. I know things break when you wreck, i just do not want a fragile car.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:08 PM   #14
Tech Adept

is there really a successor to the 414mII coming soon from tamiya, if so then how soon
Old 04-01-2003, 09:32 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Diva

All 414 family members (including Special Edition and MII) are excellent and unbreakable. TB Evo 3 has different driving characteristics than belt-driven car. But it's the best (in terms of durability, control, tuning opportunities, etc) among the shaft-driven cars. And with the Kai conversion kit, it's like putting rails under the wheels.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote