R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Stock Class of the Future ?

As our club and many others contemplate brushless and LIPO's, it occurred to me, this might be the answer to the problems of the "spec" class, at least with some more refinements.

Imagine a spec BL motor (teched based on watts output limited to something like the 13.5 puts out, maybe with a watts meter driving a current limiter).

Imagine a spec LIPO teched based on volts (limited to 8.38 with a voltage regulator).

I think the only main problem with prior "Spec" classes (from what I heard - I never ran any) was that they were perhaps a bit slow. I think if you make the "Spec" class fast enough (just a bit faster than stock, perhaps as it is today?) you'll find it a "true" stock class as I think it was originally intended to be.

I can see 2x10 minute heats and a 10-20 minute main being the norm.

Now the questions are
- Would racers buy it?
- Would we still like it after the first couple weekends?
- The technology is already here, but would a manufacturer be willing and able to put it together in a cost effective manner ?

One thought: seems like most racers I know run what the "pros" run at big events. If someone wants to carve out this niche for their company, maybe it needs to be rolled out as part of a "spec national championships".

Is this "better faster more fun" spec class the future of stock racing ?
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopemike
As our club and many others contemplate brushless and LIPO's, it occurred to me, this might be the answer to the problems of the "spec" class, at least with some more refinements.

Imagine a spec BL motor (teched based on watts output limited to something like the 13.5 puts out, maybe with a watts meter driving a current limiter).

Imagine a spec LIPO teched based on volts (limited to 8.38 with a voltage regulator).

I think the only main problem with prior "Spec" classes (from what I heard - I never ran any) was that they were perhaps a bit slow. I think if you make the "Spec" class fast enough (just a bit faster than stock, perhaps as it is today?) you'll find it a "true" stock class as I think it was originally intended to be.

I can see 2x10 minute heats and a 10-20 minute main being the norm.

Now the questions are
- Would racers buy it?
- Would we still like it after the first couple weekends?
- The technology is already here, but would a manufacturer be willing and able to put it together in a cost effective manner ?

One thought: seems like most racers I know run what the "pros" run at big events. If someone wants to carve out this niche for their company, maybe it needs to be rolled out as part of a "spec national championships".

Is this "better faster more fun" spec class the future of stock racing ?
i was talking to a buddy about this. i think a great way to get new racers into the hobby (besides offering help at your local track) is to package a "stock equivalent" brushless system with a hard-cased lipo/charger combo with an RTR kit.

then the backyard basher will have plenty of run time... and when they feel they are ready to race, they have something they can race with.

of course, this would require a lot of cooperation between the car company (like Tamiya), brushless company (like Novak) and charger/lipo company (like Team Orion) to partner up to provide an almost "true" RTR kit (granted you'll still need AA batts for your tx, etc).

this is also based on the assumption that the lipo/BL combo is allowed at the local race venue. just a thought
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There is a group of us "OVAL" types that are working w/ NOVAK to create the PERFECT STOCK/LiPo type motor. I can tell you it AIN'T the 13.5. The 13.5 runs too quick.

The crawler motor has tested close, but is actually a little quick but we've got something else we're testing.

Hopefully when we are done testing it NoVAK will market it as their STOCK equivalant motor for the LiPo/Brushless crowd.

The 13.5 is pretty good for the On-Road crowd as the change over motor and will be an awesome combo.

The motor we're doing for oval may be a great motor for the onroad crowd to get with for a Novice/Rookie type of class.
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
i was talking to a buddy about this. i think a great way to get new racers into the hobby (besides offering help at your local track) is to package a "stock equivalent" brushless system with a hard-cased lipo/charger combo with an RTR kit.

then the backyard basher will have plenty of run time... and when they feel they are ready to race, they have something they can race with.

of course, this would require a lot of cooperation between the car company (like Tamiya), brushless company (like Novak) and charger/lipo company (like Team Orion) to partner up to provide an almost "true" RTR kit (granted you'll still need AA batts for your tx, etc).

this is also based on the assumption that the lipo/BL combo is allowed at the local race venue. just a thought
The problem there is cost. True all that stuff is cheaper in the long run but upfront cost would seem horrendous to a newcomer. A RTR kit with a brushless system and LiPo would be...what...$550-$600. Even with cost saving measures now and racing SilveCan Tamiya Mini (about as cheap as it gets) you're looking at $300. That cost alone scares people.
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to loopedout

run the novak 5800 motor and ss controller or lrp sphere in limited with a 5800 motor and spec tires or run a 19t brush, pretty good class at our track
THD Custom R/C Products/Team Holy Rollers/Team Terribles
loopedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopedout
run the novak 5800 motor and ss controller or lrp sphere in limited with a 5800 motor and spec tires or run a 19t brush, pretty good class at our track
As a STOCK class??? Seems really FAST for stock. I mean the name of the thread is the NEW STOCK class right?
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote