R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default LIPO ADVANTAGE?

is there any advantage to lipos vers nimh i have the orion platinum edition 4800 and smc 3800 nimh and the only thing i notice is longer run time just wondering if anyone else has noticed any other advantage?
miamifanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
TEM
Tech Regular

No memory effect. No discharging. Equalize once in a blue moon when I feel like it. Multiple charges a day.

Disadvantages: Possibly dangerous (I use lipo in airplanes too), never had one blow up, but I don't deem them all that safe. If your car is set for lipo, putting a nimh in there throws off the balance.

Theres probably more to both list, but thats just off my head.
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Tech Regular

more punch with 7.4 volts
MK_Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK_Arbiter
More punch then nimh at the end of a race. Less at the beginning.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
Tech Elite

LIPO:
-may not be legal at your clubs track
-you need to load on the lead weight to bring your car back up to spec
-could blow up if not properly charged or secured into the car
-no rules or standards ensuring that car lipos are equally save, some come in strong plastic housing others look like they are wrapped in tin foil.

I would like to see a discharge curve compared to the discharge curve of a nihm....
Old 03-22-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK_Arbiter
I guess I'd buy that line more if we raced discharged batteries. From my personal experience, NiMH batteries peak at over 9 volts. A LiPo peaks at 8.4 volts. And in stock and 19t racing, voltage is a biggie. The biggest advantages I've found with LiPo is the flat discharge curve and the extended runtime. That, and I only need one battery to run the whole day, versus the normal 4 or more sub C type batteries.
Lost Aggresiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:41 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default Peak

What voltage they peak at is not the same voltage they have under a load. From my experience the more amps you pull from your batteries the better the lipos feel. If your running stock then the ni-mh batteries may be better but in mod. it's a different story lipos will have more punch!
latemodel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by latemodel13
What voltage they peak at is not the same voltage they have under a load. From my experience the more amps you pull from your batteries the better the lipos feel. If your running stock then the ni-mh batteries may be better but in mod. it's a different story lipos will have more punch!
This is true.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
LIPO:
-may not be legal at your clubs track
-you need to load on the lead weight to bring your car back up to spec
-could blow up if not properly charged or secured into the car
-no rules or standards ensuring that car lipos are equally save, some come in strong plastic housing others look like they are wrapped in tin foil.

I would like to see a discharge curve compared to the discharge curve of a nihm....
Some more info about LiPo....

1. They are not more dangerous when done properly just the opposite.

2. No "voodoo regime" to keep the batteries running to potential

3. Far more consistant voltage (the "fast guys" will have the same power as the newb making it more attractive to potential drivers.

4. Less equipment lighter weight, as chassis change over and rule begin to comply the lighter wieght means tires last longer and less damage upon impact as car carries less momentum.

5. Cell life 10's of times longer then NiMH

6. More consistant power throughout run.

7. Longer run times.

8. Nominal voltage stays consistant from genration to generations i.e. 2 cells will be 7.4Vnominal ( and 8.4V when charged, there is no "peaking") last year this year next year etc.

9. No soldering needed for the highest quality cells and they come equipped to plug an play.

10. can be recharged emmidiately after run unlimited times in a day no having to have a box of packs for a race weekend.

11. No special storage case needed to keep the cells from shorting during transport, and no ris of shorting on tools and metals in pit areas.

There is more but I think you get my point.

Discharge curve coming.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:34 AM   #10
Tech Elite

starting to sound promising, just need the sticker price to drop.

Still waiting to see if the voodoo stays away long term, right now they are new and not widely excepted.... so once all racers are using them u can be sure the voodoo will start.... its racing... so today maybe its plug and play but thats what they told us years ago when nihm came out.... that did not last long..
Old 03-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Seriously? Tower had the Carbon 3200 for $65 last week (same price as a matched 4200 pack). I would spend double for the convience of LIPO if they were ROAR legal. Im hesistant to make a huge investment now not knowing what will happen with approvals for it.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Quote:

Still waiting to see if the voodoo stays away long term, right now they are new and not widely excepted.... so once all racers are using them u can be sure the voodoo will start.... its racing... so today maybe its plug and play but thats what they told us years ago when nihm came out.... that did not last long..
Lipo has been out for several years and over two years for cars and the batteries back then topped out at 8.4V just like they do now. There is no voodoo as LiPo does not share the construction and chemistry of Sub C cells therefore the voodoo does not help. I have been torturing them for several years now trying to unlock any extra and there is none.

NiMH from day one share many voodoo characteristics with NiCD's

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:

Joel, excuse me, but you need to read up on LIpO technology on these forums and get educated, before making such ignorant comments about LIPOS a few posts back. Have you run the Orion/Peak Racing packs in TC's? Dont you get it? What you knew or thought you knew about lipos is old...the LIPOS of today are much safer and easier to deal with with any NImH pack. Get informed and speak from experience- all of you who have not bought and tested Orion/Peak Lipos, please stop giving your uninformed antiquated misinformation, please!!!

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:22 PM   #14
TEM
Tech Regular

I got an Orion PE 4800. But not really inclined to put it on a turbo35 and discharge it linear at 30/35amps to see what it looks like on a discharge. So I look forward to seeing MR. Blacks discharge data. I'm surprised Orion doesn't publish this data. Everyone has heard of IB's blowing up if you're not careful so nothing is SAFE. Just be careful and follow directions.

Considering the classes I run still not lipo legal; I haven't been inclined to spend the time to setup the car properly to use the lipo (different static weight and different dynamic weight transfer characteristics). Just putting the lipo in the car for black can (Canadian GT2) and 19T; lipo is considerably FASTER in black can. But not so significantly better in 19T. The car traction rolled like an SOB. If I had the time and patience to set it up correctly; I'm 99% confident I can get faster lap times with the lipos.
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Joel, excuse me, but you need to read up on LIpO technology on these forums and get educated, before making such ignorant comments about LIPOS a few posts back. Have you run the Orion/Peak Racing packs in TC's? Dont you get it? What you knew or thought you knew about lipos is old...the LIPOS of today are much safer and easier to deal with with any NImH pack. Get informed and speak from experience- all of you who have not bought and tested Orion/Peak Lipos, please stop giving your uninformed antiquated misinformation, please!!!
EASE UP!

The only thing i may have said that is uninformed is the voodoo. And i stand behind it being too early. Once they have replaced nihm completely in racing circles and roar/ifmar we will see