R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Sedan Foam Width Limit

Do you think that ROAR and other races should limit the width of foam tires like it is done with rubber tires? Take the available widths 26mm, 28mm, 30mm and the number of componds make selecting a tire hard. How many tires should one person have to take to a race?
SoCalMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

No--to much difference between the various car brands. Just follow what the racers run with the same car if it works for them. For indoor if have only had two different shore types to choose for front and back. For my nitro I have several different shores available due to more varied conditions--42,40,37,35 are in the pit box.
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It's really not so much a problem. 30mm tires are nitro/asphalt. For years we had run 28mm tires on carpet. Jaco only recently released the 26mm tires. I ran them, and like the 28mm tires better. There's no reason it shouldn't stay open tire.

Rubber tire races are much harder, there are so many different tires out there, along with differet inserts, different rims... The combinations are limitless. I can see where they can get really expensive trying to track all that stuff (rumor has it Masami has a library of tire inserts he drags to races).

For the nats I took along a couple of sets of tires (same compounds) that I know my car works on, and borrowed a set from someone else to try of a different compound/width. I went back to what I knew worked. The same tires that I use for club was also my tire choice for IIC.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay70
It's really not so much a problem. 30mm tires are nitro/asphalt. For years we had run 28mm tires on carpet. Jaco only recently released the 26mm tires. I ran them, and like the 28mm tires better. There's no reason it shouldn't stay open tire.

Rubber tire races are much harder, there are so many different tires out there, along with differet inserts, different rims... The combinations are limitless. I can see where they can get really expensive trying to track all that stuff (rumor has it Masami has a library of tire inserts he drags to races).

For the nats I took along a couple of sets of tires (same compounds) that I know my car works on, and borrowed a set from someone else to try of a different compound/width. I went back to what I knew worked. The same tires that I use for club was also my tire choice for IIC.
Electric drivers are now using 30mm tires on carpet too. So you have 3 choices of width. Then you have wheel diameter differences, compound choice, and wraps or standards. It seems a bit ridiculous when you consider that most rubber tires races use handout or spec tires to eliminate the choices which levels the playing field and reduces costs.

Hopefully foam organizers will use handout or spec tires or switch to rubber tires.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Electric drivers are now using 30mm tires on carpet too. So you have 3 choices of width. Then you have wheel diameter differences, compound choice, and wraps or standards. It seems a bit ridiculous when you consider that most rubber tires races use handout or spec tires to eliminate the choices which levels the playing field and reduces costs.

Hopefully foam organizers will use handout or spec tires or switch to rubber tires.
Exactly....Foam tire sedan races right now are exactly what rubber tire races were like before the use of Spec tires. There are far too many choices to make for the average racer to afford or even get a hold of. Now you throw in when a team shows up and is hand making tires at the event or even has them made just to suit the track conditions it worse. Now the "non" sponsored racer canít not get these tires and itís the same game that was going one before spec tires were put into place. ROAR and other race organizers really need to think about starting a spec tire rule for carpet races. I never thought I would say it but after the Novak race I never want to go to another foam tire sedan race unless something is done....the cost and availability is way out of hand.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Great, so limit tires to only one compound allowed, thusly limiting development progress so that when the rubber tire weenies trying to outlaw all traction compounds get their way, we have tires that don't work worth a [email protected] Brilliant!
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote