Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
mamba max VS. novak gtb >

mamba max VS. novak gtb

mamba max VS. novak gtb

Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default mamba max VS. novak gtb

Which system is easier to tune? I am new to the R/C and I like to go bushless now that my rtr tc4 speed controller has gone bad. I have done searches and thought for a weekend basher, drifter and wanting to start in test nights at the local touring car track. Which system will work good for the type of hobbiest I am. A local shop said to go mamba max but if I was a novak fan to go with the gtb/velocity because of better tuning for brake and thermo and the gtb allows for brush motors if I decide to compete a sactioned race. the same person also said that mamba our outselling the novak due to easier to understand software?

Right now my main goal is drive time and chassis tuning. Which system would be the better investment?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

No offense to your local shop, but they seem fairly clueless on brushless systems.

The mamba max is a nifty system with very cool software.

The novak is also a very good system....

However, if you want to race, the novak is the only choice, as their system is legal (motor wise) and the mamba motors are not. You can only use the Novak in modified at most places, though some tracks have stock and 19t classes using the novak brushless versions.....I have yet to hear about a mamba spec class anywhere.

On the software.....well, the novak doesn't really have what the mamba does. The have preset profiles that are pretty easy to switch from one to the other....the mamba has a full blown software for your computer, that allows tons of tuning combos. So, from a ease of you stand point, the novak blows it away as their is nothing to get confused about really.....just pick one of the presets for your racing type and go.....so if you would like to spend more time on your chassis and such.....the novak is going to give you that, while the mamba may have you sitting in the pits trying to figure stuff out.

And when it comes to customer service.....Novak is among the best in the industry.....with even staff members posting on this very site.

My suggestion.....go with the novak for ease of use, superior customer service, and multiple LEGAL motors to choose from.

Later EddieO
Old 03-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

that's some good advice there EddieO. i was in the same boat a few days ago, Mamba Max or Novak?? i went with the Novak after my success with the GTX and i am vey happy wih my choice. the Novak was extremely easy to setup and get going.

you can't go wrong with it.

Novak GTB...go orange!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Talking

The GTB system is great. Its the premier brushless system to have if you're going to race legally. The Mamba Max system's only flaw is that the motors are still not ROAR approved, yet. However, if it was legal...defenitely race with the Mamba Max system, since its way ahead in technology. It can handle LiPO technology and it has way more tuning options than the Novak systems, and its a bit more tolerant to abuse...

Another option is the use the Mamba max ESC, which is roar legal, and then run brushed motors, or run Trinity N60 brushless motor which is ROAR legal, and its very fast and reliable, and light weight compared to other similar class motors...
Old 03-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Tech Initiate

A hard choice is still hard. I like he fact everyone with novak likes it and I like the software of the mamba.

I guess I have one more question is I can slow down the motors through the esc but If I had the mamba esc would I have the thermo or any protection with a novak motor.

I really like the looks of the software with the mamba but will I need to take the computer with me to the track? The novak appears to me that it wont.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaysun
A hard choice is still hard. I like he fact everyone with novak likes it and I like the software of the mamba.

I guess I have one more question is I can slow down the motors through the esc but If I had the mamba esc would I have the thermo or any protection with a novak motor.

I really like the looks of the software with the mamba but will I need to take the computer with me to the track? The novak appears to me that it wont.
Yes. Until you get it setup the way you like it.
Its kind of like praticing your racing line. If you feel you need more punch than you dial in the punch, if you need more revs to keep up than add more timing, if its too much of punch or brake, dial it out with the curve.
That may be the only flaw that you have to bring your laptop to dial it in. But once you do, its pretty much golden. Heck the stock setup is pretty much dialed for most peeps.

But until Mamba's software updates to allow the use of sensored motors most people will still choose the GTB, Not saying the GTB is bad, I have one in my 007 right now, which works flawlessly. Just wish they had a laptop like to dial in stuff....LOL
-Shookie <><
Old 03-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A laptop isn't totally required with the Mamba Max. The only adjustments you can make on a laptop but not through transmitter programming, are throttle curve, brake curve, and fine tuning things like brake %, timing... Brake % and timing are adjustable through the transmitter, but you choose between levels.

Also, programming the MM through throttle is a skill that not all have and not are are willing to learn.

The weird thing is, my MM's beep fairly slowly in programming mode. I had another racer ask me to adjust his MM, and his beeped twice as fast. Maybe different production run?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Which system is easier to tune?
novak

for a weekend basher, drifter and wanting to start in test nights at the local touring car track. Which system will work good for the type of hobbiest I am
either system will work well for these purposes

because of better tuning for brake and thermo
if you're running the stock/19 turn equivelants, thermalling should not be an issue with either

if I decide to compete a sactioned race
most tracks/events are allowing the novak gtb/4300 combination to run against 19 turn brushed motors. as a previous poster said, there does not seem to be a castle creations 19t equivelant system (at least with the acceptance of the novak).

Right now my main goal is drive time and chassis tuning. Which system would be the better investment?
i would recommend the novak gtb/4300 setup. it is reasonably fast (on par with a good 19 turn motor), very efficient, easy to use, almost zero maintenance and is gaining wider and wider acceptance in racing circles, much faster than any other bl system.

one other thing, if your 4300 does not come with it, make sure to get the sintered rotor option.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

i have one of the SS system & it does not have drag brake. has this been added to the GTB? Thanks
Old 03-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Company Representative

The scheduled ship date for the GTB/SS Pro Series systems is early April. The SS Pro motors w/sintered rotors shipped last month

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...ors/index.html
Old 03-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Bigcheese
i have one of the SS system & it does not have drag brake. has this been added to the GTB? Thanks
The GTB has 4 adjustable parameters within each of the five programmable throttle profiles:

Minimum Brake, Drag Brake, Deadband, and Minimum Drive
Old 03-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
The GTB system is great. Its the premier brushless system to have if you're going to race legally. The Mamba Max system's only flaw is that the motors are still not ROAR approved, yet. However, if it was legal...defenitely race with the Mamba Max system, since its way ahead in technology. It can handle LiPO technology and it has way more tuning options than the Novak systems, and its a bit more tolerant to abuse...

Another option is the use the Mamba max ESC, which is roar legal, and then run brushed motors, or run Trinity N60 brushless motor which is ROAR legal, and its very fast and reliable, and light weight compared to other similar class motors...
The Trinity N60 brushless motor is not Roar legal and does not conform to the Roar brushless Specs as it is a slotless design. Also Speed Controls do not have to be Roar legal.
Bob Novak