R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-22-2001, 02:45 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to porkybmx
Default 3000 SMH Questions!

Hey guys I need to know how to take care and what discharge cycles and stuff they need. I'm new to NiMh so help me out guys
porkybmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 09:05 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to AE_Racer

I was told to charge at 4A and then it was fine to discharge at 30A(I have a Indi Reactor 30). Ive yet to run mine..
AE_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 07:51 AM   #3
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

I use 4.5A to charge at 0.03v delta peak, for SMH. I use a Trinty RT2 discharge tray to equalise the batteries before charge (take it down until the lights just go out).

Normally do not run the packs more than twice in the same day. After the final run, put about 800-1000mah charge back into the packs.

For the following usage I will discharge the 800-1000mah and equalise before the charge... and so on.

I know a lot of people who leave their packs discharged (or even dead shorted) during storage.

I don't know which is right and which is wrong, but I have been using the same method on my 6 SMH packs for a few months now and my Protrak charger tells me that there is no significant deterioration in my packs (and so does my throttle finger!)... so it works for me!!!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 07:56 AM   #4
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

I also found that during the first 6-10 cycles with SMH, the average discharge voltages increased! After around 10 cycles, the voltage figures stop increasing but remain high!

Read in other forums that this is normal for SMH... so beware, don't be fooled into believing that what you are doing for storage is actually improving the performance of the SMH! The cells naturally improve to a point.. which is GOOD!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 08:34 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Default Re: 3000 SMH Questions!

Quote:
Originally posted by porkybmx
Hey guys I need to know how to take care and what discharge cycles and stuff they need. I'm new to NiMh so help me out guys
Me too, guys, I want to know more about NiMh so keep it coming.
Thanks.
milf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 09:59 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Corey Bernardo

discharge till 5.4v are left in the battery? I believe that would be at 20amps?
Old 08-23-2001, 05:20 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The new rc car action (the one with the xxx-s review) has a pretty good article about care and performance of the NMH's. Some actual opinions by the guy who does Trinity's batteries.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 01:29 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Corey Bernardo
discharge till 5.4v are left in the battery? I believe that would be at 20amps?
I charge them at 4.5A with peak detection of 2mv on my charger (Schulze eco select) and discharge at 10A till 6.0v after this i'll put them in the Team Orion discharge board until the red led goes off (5.4v) and the battery is ready to be charged another time or stored till the next run.

Beware of storing for long terms (I suggest to cycle them one time at the month as minimun if you not use them).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 10:38 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

I've been charging mine at 4.0 amps, then running them in a race, then just throwing them in the box when I'm done (no discharge afterwards). I'll then discharge them immediately before re-charging them for their next use. I haven't noticed any deterioration in voltage, although I am seeing a drop off in capacity. Not sure what to do about that yet. I think I'm going to go back to discharging them at 20 amps to 5.4 volts, and see what happens.
Old 09-05-2001, 01:51 AM   #10
zxt
Tech Regular

Default how bout nicads?

how do u store your batts? like for those rainy seasons? do u store them with little charge or no charge? or do u stire them fully charged?
zxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 02:19 AM   #11
Regional Moderator

Store them fully discharged, coz Ni-Cd's has permanent memory effect
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 07:51 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Um HELLO!!!!

This is about NiMH cells not NiCDs.....

You really need to state what make of cell you are using when you give information, what works for smh's does not work for Sanyo's.

For Sanyo's (Original) 3000's, Use 10-25 times then sell or use as practice packs (or bin)

For Smh's, it seems that keeping them with a partial storage charge keeps them roughly in their new state, while keeping them fully discharged increases their voltage and decreases their runtime. Be sure that they are fully discharged before charging them no matter what.

Also, don't write off Powers, there must be at least the odd good pack around the place because I have seen other cells taken out of the car and powers put in, with no change in gearing, and they fly. This is not a Team driver either. Having said this, they are not as good as SMH's, but they can be better than other cells out there. Also, look out for the new Sanyo HV's, should be interestring
sleek the elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 08:09 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

I have had my Sanyo 3000 (2nd batch) packs for about a year and have had good luck with them, you just have to cycle them if they have not been with in a month. Once cycled they work great for Mod and alright for stock. Their is a big difference with the SMH as far as voltage goes, but you still have to cycle them to get the hit that you would expect from a ni-cad (2400) . It would be nice to see if the HV cell is a compromise between ni-cad and ni-mh. Looks like we are in a six month cycle for new batts if this is ant indication of things to come........... or maybe brushlesss will be REAL and the battery of the MONTH club will no longer exist. yeh right! Sorry for the rambling on and on... my2cents
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 10:36 AM   #14
zxt
Tech Regular

Default mr. sleek elite

hello?

Sorry if I can not ask here about Nicads...I just dont like to make another thread for a simple batt question...

Just remember dont ask questions on Peak charger thread if u gonna ask about timed charger okay?

thank you mr. sleek elite...whatever

daniz24: thank you very much...I hope we can get rid of this board of unhelpful people....
zxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 10:46 AM   #15
Tech Master

Default Sanyo 3000

Do you guys always take your Sanyo 3000 cells (mine's from phantom) down to 0.9V each before charge? After a session I discharge them with my tamiya stick discharger till the light goes off b4 I rest'em, then charge them @ 5A. WIsh I got the SP saddle discharger integy sells.

~Alvin
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote