R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-19-2007, 08:59 PM   #76
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jake S Send a message via MSN to Jake S

so nobody wants to comment on using the 119 watt 18.5 novak brushless?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #77
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake S
so nobody wants to comment on using the 119 watt 18.5 novak brushless?
When I first saw Novak's chart, I looked at the 18.5 and the 13.5 and thought something in between would have been a better choice to introduce as a stock motor. Oh well.

I'm thinking the 18.5 would be excellent for driveway racing with friends. It might still be too strong for driveways, even at 18.5.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #78
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by James35
When I first saw Novak's chart, I looked at the 18.5 and the 13.5 and thought something in between would have been a better choice to introduce as a stock motor. Oh well.

I'm thinking the 18.5 would be excellent for driveway racing with friends. It might still be too strong for driveways, even at 18.5.
ok james, i was just wondering if anyone had tested at 18.5 vs a stock motor, without a "crawler" gearing.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:21 PM   #79
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I really wanted to give that a whirl, but the 18.5 is really expensive for some reason: $95.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:59 PM   #80
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Our local track (www.pitroadraceway.com) has allowed, and encouraged, running the 13.5 with stock brushed. There's been some grumbling among the brushed guys about, "Well, he only won because he was running brushless." This has some truth to it.

At our race Sunday, I ran 8 minutes (12th scale) with a brushed guy who was a better driver than I was (I was running the 13.5 w/Sintered Arm). I could blow a corner or tap a wall and catch back up a bit. We ran a full 8 minutes nose-to-tail pretty much till the last minute or so where he tapped a wall and I pulled ahead and was able to put about a 1/4 to half lap on him by the end of the race. There CLEARLY is a difference between the two.

BUT, at our track by mixing the class we've encouraged most everyone to get brushless which brings $$ into the track's shop. I haven't really heard anyone complain about "having" to go brushless. I should also say that our track has had minimal turnouts for most classes 5-8 entries per class so breaking up the classes isn't really worth while.

In another thread someone put it best, "since I haven't had to tweak my motors to FIND more power, I have more time to practice and work on my driving."

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:40 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
In another thread someone put it best, "since I haven't had to tweak my motors to FIND more power, I have more time to practice and work on my driving."
that is very well put, thats mainly why i want to switch to a "stock brushless" in my tc for in the winter, then just be able to swap the system out into my 1/10th offroad for some summer/fall action! but i want brushless to be accepted, and not just migrated to another class like 1/12th scale had to be, right james, hopefully its just a matter of time.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:41 PM   #82
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

[QUOTE
In another thread someone put it best, "since I haven't had to tweak my motors to FIND more power, I have more time to practice and work on my driving."[/QUOTE]

I am brushed racer, but this would be nice......
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:53 PM   #83
Tech Elite

Right from ROARRACING.com November 2006

"Brushless motors were discussed and it was determined that a Motor Committee consisting of the manufacturers and importers needed to be formed to provide a revised set of stock brushless motor rules."

this was from quite awhile ago, where are the results? lol
Old 03-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #84
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

For what it's worth, the difference between a 27T and 13.5 seems to be a lot more pronounced in 12th scale than a sedan. I'm not sure if it's due to the increased efficiency allowing for more gear, or the fact that the lighter car allows you to gear up even more, capitalizing on the motor's torque. Regardless, from what I've seen and read, it's hard to say the 13.5 mixed with stock is close enough to be fair in a 12th scale.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #85
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
BUT, at our track by mixing the class we've encouraged most everyone to get brushless which brings $$ into the track's shop. I haven't really heard anyone complain about "having" to go brushless. I should also say that our track has had minimal turnouts for most classes 5-8 entries per class so breaking up the classes isn't really worth while.
We have about 30 showing to race TC at our track. We are a club, not a company. So we are out to make RC fair and inexpensive. We all know the advantages of Brushless, but the cost is still there. For some RC racers they can't afford that big of a ticketed item. As one of our racers said "if your going to buy a $10,000 car are you going to be able to pay cash or will you make payments. I can afford to go and buy a new motor for $35.00 every month over purchasing a $250.00 brushless system."

On another note, with so many companies coming out with motors (Novak 13.5 LRP 15.5) and so on. Where does this end and what motors are allowed?

Thanks
Tom
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:21 PM   #86
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer4Life
Where does this end and what motors are allowed?
thats what im waiting to see, i don't want to get a brushless setup, just to know if i go away from my "home club track" that ill be told i need to get a brushed motor to be allowed to race. atleast most good brushless esc's let you run both types hah
Old 03-19-2007, 11:21 PM   #87
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer4Life
We have about 30 showing to race TC at our track. We are a club, not a company. So we are out to make RC fair and inexpensive. We all know the advantages of Brushless, but the cost is still there. For some RC racers they can't afford that big of a ticketed item. As one of our racers said "if your going to buy a $10,000 car are you going to be able to pay cash or will you make payments. I can afford to go and buy a new motor for $35.00 every month over purchasing a $250.00 brushless system."

On another note, with so many companies coming out with motors (Novak 13.5 LRP 15.5) and so on. Where does this end and what motors are allowed?

Thanks
Tom
I agree, and I think this is where ROAR has dropped their balls (er dropped the ball). There needs to be a standard set somewhere. Locally it's the NOVAK 13.5 Sintered. Fair or not, that's what it is.

The scene locally isn't KILLER competitive so we're all having fun. The guy that I beat out on Sunday is a better driver than me (for now) and with a BL system of his own he'd be a lap or two ahead of me. But, we're out to have a good time and I think that if you asked him, he had as much fun racing that close for 8 minutes and coming out 3rd as he would have racing that close for 8 minutes and coming in second. To quote Aerosmith, "Life's a journey, not a destination." (I know they didn't say it first but they said it best)

Next season I was planning on hitting a few bigger races (now that my wife will be done with Law School). However, I won't do any races that won't allow me to run Brushless. Step it up or be left out.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:32 PM   #88
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
I agree, and I think this is where ROAR has dropped their balls (er dropped the ball). There needs to be a standard set somewhere. Locally it's the NOVAK 13.5 Sintered. Fair or not, that's what it is.

The scene locally isn't KILLER competitive so we're all having fun. The guy that I beat out on Sunday is a better driver than me (for now) and with a BL system of his own he'd be a lap or two ahead of me. But, we're out to have a good time and I think that if you asked him, he had as much fun racing that close for 8 minutes and coming out 3rd as he would have racing that close for 8 minutes and coming in second. To quote Aerosmith, "Life's a journey, not a destination." (I know they didn't say it first but they said it best)
Yes, as usual ROAR has not stepped up for the greater good.

Are you talking about Righter? Heard he was back racing again. Its like Crack, you can never give it up. LOL!!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:27 AM   #89
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I don't know what type of racing you are referring to about running the 13.5 motor in STOCK, but if it's a STOCK CLASS and somebody shows up with a 13.5 I would bitch moan and complain...cause a 13.5 motor should kick the crap out of ANY stock motor.

With that being said, this is an issue we are currently looking at for OVAL racing, and testing is being done on some other options that would actually produce a motor closer to a real STOCK motor... Be patient people - Don't be in a hurry to jump on something new..and KILL the racing by having something that is not good for the class...proper processes take time, testing and a lot of times things are being worked on behind the scenes..and just because it's not published...doesn't mean it's not happening.

Quote:
i was just wondering if anyone had tested at 18.5 vs a stock motor, without a "crawler" gearing.
The info we've got from Charlie @ Novak is to not use the 18.5 Crawler motor for STOCK racing, because it does not have the temp sensor and could be damaged... Don't be disgruntled by this though...a motor IS being worked on and tested as we speak...but it will most likely be a couple months before proper data is released...and the motor would be available.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:47 AM   #90
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As a former region director I have been running brushless for about 1 year. So my results were all known here in florida. This year they formed a masters touring in our series. You can run either stock or brushless. There are more old racers signing up for this class at each race. Most of the 11 racers last weekend had brushless. But I believe a brushed motor won the main.A brushless motor does not drop off in power- is better in the corners and you don't have to cut the coms and mess with brushes!Let's see what motor I'm going to pick.Brushless is the way - I tired of working on stock motors. The 13.5 is fine for stock.But your track and your series can make your own decisions on what you want to run .Numbers on a printed page and dyno numbers are great but track time is the game.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote