R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-16-2007, 10:45 PM   #31
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
this is with sedans at Fastlane in Missouri?
2 of the fastest guys in KC. One with 4300 did a 9.2 and the 13.5 was doing 9.4's. And to be honest it would be hard to say which one of these guys were the fastest? Erock and Bear. You may know them? I did a 9.2 with a 5.5 its the only way I could do it. I could drive the 9.2's, I just didn't have the set up for the slower motors to get that low. I had to put some ponies in. I was running a FK05 and Erocks running the XXXS. Dang thing is fast.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:15 PM   #32

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

People keep saying brushed and 13.5 belong together... but I look at the track results of one of my local tracks, and week to week the results say they do not. Open Stock will run 28-31 laps ... 13.5 runs 32-33 laps. It's not just because of the drivers, 13.5's have motor motor. They should be in their own class.

Bunch of new racers running together, mixing them doesn't matter. Mix them up with a bunch of racers who can drive, the 13.5's pull down the straight. No question about it.

It's not going to stop the motor of the month, or buying a bunch of motors for the class phenomena either.. If I wanted to run 13.5 I'd buy 2-10 motors and dyno them until I found the one that had the most rip.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:09 AM   #33
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolas
People keep saying brushed and 13.5 belong together... but I look at the track results of one of my local tracks, and week to week the results say they do not. Open Stock will run 28-31 laps ... 13.5 runs 32-33 laps. It's not just because of the drivers, 13.5's have motor motor. They should be in their own class.

Bunch of new racers running together, mixing them doesn't matter. Mix them up with a bunch of racers who can drive, the 13.5's pull down the straight. No question about it.

It's not going to stop the motor of the month, or buying a bunch of motors for the class phenomena either.. If I wanted to run 13.5 I'd buy 2-10 motors and dyno them until I found the one that had the most rip.
Just one litle problem with that(for now), there is NO dyno available to consumers to test a brushless, & personally, I see no need to buy a half dozen of them like you have to with brushed. Just take care of the 13.5, gear it right, & it's good to go....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:27 AM   #34

The track is the best dyno, and it's available. Buy them up, throw them down, whichever one turns the best lap stays in the car.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:49 AM   #35
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, that.....and last I looked Wes works for one of the top motor companies in the business....we will have a dyno soon for brushless.....I have one already, but I want one that tests the motors a different way.

However, there is a multiple dynos that work......you can even get a turbodyno 45 to do a brushless motor....

Later EddieO
Old 03-17-2007, 12:59 AM   #36
Tech Elite

class by class by class
theres too many classess
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:02 AM   #37
Tech Legend

At Trcr (Off-road) they combine both designs together for club nights with no ill effects...

works very well having just one stock class ...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:08 AM   #38
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO
Well, that.....and last I looked Wes works for one of the top motor companies in the business....we will have a dyno soon for brushless.....I have one already, but I want one that tests the motors a different way.

However, there is a multiple dynos that work......you can even get a turbodyno 45 to do a brushless motor....

Later EddieO
O-Sure !!
You start with a dyno ....

then
next thing yeah know, your`ll be selling Brood brushless motor`s .....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:13 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jake S Send a message via MSN to Jake S

i can see how the 13.5 would be an advantage on any kind of oval racing, as it can be geared closer to the moon then a brushed motor, but for any kind of road course or offroad racing, i fail to see why being able to gear higher helps, i thought any kind of racing that involves turning right, good acceleration was more important than high - end of the straight speed, without all the low-end punch.

i think that with the addition of a tekin redline stock brushless motor on the horizon, and the threat of a trinity and lrp stock brushless coming, a admitance of stock brushless equiv into the stock class would become the best idea for everyone, both the racer and the race directors, as one single class for brushed and brushless motors means more racers, more race fees, and for the racer the ease of mind knowing that his motor can last a full season without any major maintainance.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:39 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
Speedy, you might want to rethink the "without the sintered rotor" part. Novak no longer sells it without the sintered rotor so unless they continue to sell the old rotor people wont be able to get the equipment necessary to run in that class (at least not new).
MY BAD!!
but now the 13.5 will out perform a brushed 27 correct??
SOOO! where does that leave us???
ROAR member #5-120259
www.speedybillsrc.com
www.ovrccc.com
Sweep Racing Tires
speedybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:57 AM   #41
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedybill
MY BAD!!
It's Novak that said the 13.5 should be equal to a stock motor, no one else, and they were wrong. If I read correctly LRP is coming out with a 15.5 motor that they say is equal to a stock motor and the LRP 13.5 motor is supposed to be equal to a 23T motor. I'm glad offroad season is upon us so I don't have to spend my money on different systems or motors before some concrete rules are in place.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:58 AM   #42
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
MY BAD!!
Depends on who owns the brushed 27 . Probably not Mos but in general it will outperform a brushed 27. My feeling is you would be safe to combine them. If it makes people feel better run them all together but at the end of the day mark which each driver was using so they can see how they did in their "sub-class". The World of Hobbies has been running them together all winter and the only problem came was when one of the fast brushed old timers (rhymes with Rollins) borrowed my brushless motor to try out and ended up breaking the track record (held by a brushed motor). Everyone has gotten over that now though. The reality is I think you will end up losing more racers by not allowing 13.5s then allowing them.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:15 AM   #43
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I would encourage anybody reading this thread and trying to make a decision for their club to read between the lines. The people that speak out against this are often representing a motor company, or sponsored by one. That doesn't make their opinion invalid, but you can see how they might be biased. So take it all with a grain of salt.

I know Eddie says they're working on brushless motors, and hopefully that's true. Right now, though, it's too early to tell if that's just a red herring. I'll be convinced when I can buy a 13.5 with a br00d label on it that shows significant improvement on the track.

Don't be scared, run them together. All the significant R/C companies are putting their weight behind brushless. That's not by accident.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:45 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Exclamation

seemingly on the surface it sounds good to 'run them together' unless your your the guy runnin a brushed motor & gets his a$$ handed to him by a brushless!

The problem 'locally' appears to be the high 'INTIAL' cost of going brushless, and I'm more than well aware of the 'ongoing' cost of running brushed motors
tit 4 tat
BUT, they are NOT equal!
so you force the brushed driver to shell out $$ to upgrade to brushless,
is this fair???

we [ovrccc] have a LOT of new drivers who are just getting into the sport [rtr TC-4's] and now we tell them to be competitive they need to spend MORE than what they paid for the car to keep up????

13.5 class?? thatz just what the sport DOESN'T NEED another stock class!!!

FINAL ANSWER!!!
ain't none
run them together
experienced drivers can help those 'struggling' with thier brushed mtrs trying to keep up with the brushless gang

Speedy

ps NOBODY, BUT NOBODY SAY A THANG BOUT LIPO'S PLEAZE!!!!
ROAR member #5-120259
www.speedybillsrc.com
www.ovrccc.com
Sweep Racing Tires
speedybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:51 AM   #45
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
brushless gang
And they will know us by the trail of dead CO27's.

And LiPo.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote