R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #121
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchynads
You should really be taking precautions when charging LiPos. $30 is a small price to pay for a fireproof bag such as a LipoSack.
He's right, especially if you don't know the origin of the cell. Without a hard case, it seems feasible that it could have been damaged in a crash and then puffed the next time it took a charge.

As for granting a monopoly to a particular company, I think it's fair to only allow certain cells from certain companies (like Kokam, A123) that meet and pass certain safety criteria, and possibly that are enclosed in a case of a set size. Once companies know what cells are allowed, they can buy them, assemble them into packs and sell 'em.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #122
Team Tekin

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchynads
You should really be taking precautions when charging LiPos. $30 is a small price to pay for a fireproof bag such as a LipoSack.
We do charge them in LipoSacks, and also inside a steel box. We have 4 or 5 LipoSacks and use them all.

As for brand, I cannot say......
Old 03-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #123
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
We do charge them in LipoSacks, and also inside a steel box. We have 4 or 5 LipoSacks and use them all.

As for brand, I cannot say......
So, you had a cheap battery go up in flames and you won't say what brand. I'm assuming it was a cheap one. Any Orion/Peak hard-cased Kokam's go up? Everyone wants to talk about Horror stories but I've seen none about these...wonder why. Oh yeah, the crap ones aren't safe just like I wouldn't buy Bubba Joe Bob's discount no-name brand NiMh batteries either.
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:04 AM   #124
Team Tekin

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

That's my point, I never said this was the best battery out there. I have never had any problems with the Orion hardshell packs.

And it didn't go up in flames, as you might have noticed from the picture. It puffed and expanded very quickly. But still no burst into blow-torch flames.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:20 AM   #125
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_67

There may not be a monopoly on the hard case lipo's any more.
Not sure who manufactures the cells, but they are rated at 4900mah and about $20 cheaper than the Orions.

http://www.trakpower.com/
Paul_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #126
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_67
Not sure who manufactures the cells, but they are rated at 4900mah and about $20 cheaper than the Orions.

Keep in mind that the hard case isnt the only safety feature of the Orion cells.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #127
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Those are Enerland cells.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #128
Tech Initiate

Default tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy
There are a bunch of tracks in the US that allows lipo's

The easy fix is to only allow 1 type of lipo. The Orion units. Try and find 1 problem with the Orion lipo's anywhere.

If the track does not change with technology then it looses racers.
If you had to guess a percent on the amount of tracks in the U.S. that allow Lipo at their track what would you say the percent is? A "bunch" just doesn't sound very convincing as far as jumping on the bandwagon for Lipo.

It would be impossible to allow only one kind of battery for EVERYBODY. That would be like saying everyone who drives a car has to use only BP gas. Wouldn't make much sense, would it?

As far as keeping with technology, besides the run time Lipo is not really any better then NiMh. Is it really a change in technology or an adaptation to current technology?

Anyway, you can see my quandry, if I allow Lipo's then I MAY pick up a racer or two but it would be at the expense of safety. I understand all the hoopla about the "top tier" Lipo's being safe and the nail going through it and all that jazz......but have you ever been to a race? Have you ever watched somebody charge/discharge/solder/connect wires/or anything else of that nature, and wish you were not the guy sitting next to them? And NiMh cells just "pop", i haven't heard of anybody getting hurt or going to the hospital because of a NiMh cell "popping". We are talking about Lipo's here.......one instance where someone is in a hurry to make a qualifier and ups the amps for a fast charge, or doesn't notice a swelling pack, or accidently chooses NiMh on his Ice charger instead of Lipo........( and the list of variables goes on and on.... ) and the next thing you know we are staring at a foundation where the store/track used to be ( extreme I know, but.....) I don't know, when faced with an ultimatum like "allow Lipo or loose racers" i guess i would have to cross that bridge when i came to it.

Darren
MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #129
Tech Lord

Quote:

The hard case is nice, but it's all about the cells used. Don't buy cheap LiPo.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #130
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD
As far as keeping with technology, besides the run time Lipo is not really any better then NiMh. Is it really a change in technology or an adaptation to current technology?
It sounds like you've already made up your mind. With that said, this statement is blatantly, ridiculously wrong. The benefits of LiPo reach far beyond run time. It's a superior choice in every measurable sense, even including safety if you use the right cells.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #131
Tech Addict

Quote:
If you had to guess a percent on the amount of tracks in the U.S. that allow Lipo at their track what would you say the percent is? A "bunch" just doesn't sound very convincing as far as jumping on the bandwagon for Lipo.

It would be impossible to allow only one kind of battery for EVERYBODY. That would be like saying everyone who drives a car has to use only BP gas. Wouldn't make much sense, would it?

Anyway, you can see my quandry, if I allow Lipo's then I MAY pick up a racer or two but it would be at the expense of safety. I understand all the hoopla about the "top tier" Lipo's being safe and the nail going through it and all that jazz......but have you ever been to a race? Have you ever watched somebody charge/discharge/solder/connect wires/or anything else of that nature, and wish you were not the guy sitting next to them? And NiMh cells just "pop", i haven't heard of anybody getting hurt or going to the hospital because of a NiMh cell "popping". We are talking about Lipo's here.......one instance where someone is in a hurry to make a qualifier and ups the amps for a fast charge, or doesn't notice a swelling pack, or accidently chooses NiMh on his Ice charger instead of Lipo........( and the list of variables goes on and on.... ) and the next thing you know we are staring at a foundation where the store/track used to be ( extreme I know, but.....) I don't know, when faced with an ultimatum like "allow Lipo or loose racers" i guess i would have to cross that bridge when i came to it.

Darren
The track I run (Tamiya USA) has allowed LiPo's since the beginning and probably over 60% are now running LiPo's at this point and they are not all our Orion Li-Po's. There is still never been a problem in the almost two years of people running Lipos. However we have had some minor injuries and product damage due to NiMH cells burning, bursting, exploding and just being so hot that some people get minor burns from shorts and exessive heat. These are the facts, I not promote LiPo because I work for Orion but because I truly feel if done correct it is a product that is safer, easier to use, better for fair more sportsman like racing and will bring more people into our hobby.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #132
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Quote:

Darren
Let's see... "It would be impossible to allow only one kind of battery for EVERYBODY." Isn't that what we have now? Does anybody run NiCd? Not really. Nobody is saying throw the NiMh's out, you can't use them anymore. You may not have heard of people going to the hospital because of NiMh but I have and so have others. I actually know a couple people who were hurt by them years ago...I don't know anyone that's been hurt by LiPo (LiPo is newer though). That doesn't mean LiPo is safer then NiMh but just as dangerous. Read my previous sarcastic posts...if you don't allow it because someone COULD be a moron with it...then everything on the planet needs to be banned and outlawed because an idiot can find a way to hurt/kill themselves or others with it. An idiot could "accidentally" hit someone upside the head with this keyboard here but that doesn't mean we should outlaw keyboards. The entire "what if" crap has simply got to stop. LiPo is safe if used properly just like everything else is and if you can't deal with the potential dangers then lock yourself in your bedroom but make sure you take everything that could be potentially dangerous out of there first...light sockets removed, windows removed and so on...
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #133
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

The Trakpower cells are from Enerland. They are actually decent cells. They don't have the cycle life of Kokam, and they don't have most of the safety features of Kokam. Their Quality control is acceptable - not the best, but not bad either.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #134
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

On the monpoly issue... It seems most products in RC are a monopoly. Once something is better\faster we all buy it. I rarely see any cells that arent IB (its starting to change). I see the Orion Lipos being the same way. Someone will probably eventually release something better in some way and we will all most likely buy it. We just need to make sure all the cells we use are safe (regardless of technology). Im personally very scared of Nimh cells after having someone else's blow up on me.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #135
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, I think you are twisting what he is saying about one cell.....right now, we have IB, EP, GP, IP, etc all making useable competitive cells, all of which are matched by many many companies for use....his comment was directed at someone saying use the orion only......

As for injuries.....NIMH cells don't really explode....they just burst, which typically sees them or parts of them shooting up in the air. I have never seen this from charging or a damaged cell....the only times is when the pack was shorted, like at the IIC when a pack was accidently moved up against a metal power supply and shorted....and then did its thing....yes there was injuries, but....in this case, it was hardly the batteries fault....

I have seen a couple nasty lipo burns.....I know I get back quite a few of the VXR packs that have ballooned up...and thats not counting the ones where the customer did not even call....

It's really just a he said she said....both packs can fail, both packs work.....I, just think there is more room for error with a NIMH cell along with a lower ceiling of overall danger....

Later EddieO