R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-20-2007, 07:59 AM   #91
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat99
Kuzo

I agree people are morons and thats a fact!

I agree if we choose to use LiPo's then the distributer should be the ones having some sort of third party safety approval on the pack such as Underwriters Labs. Yes cheaper cells have very poor quality control and thats a fact but like someone said SONY had issues and they have very good quality control. Cells do just internally short just like NiMH do. This is an issue which no safety feature can eliminate except for the cell venting which may or may not help. The safety measures I talk about are within the pack itself which would almost certainly hurt performance or add tremedous cost. Typically, the packs are protected with internal circuit boards with protect circuits onboard to eliminate potential Overcharge (Voltage), Overdischarge (Current), Short Circuit (external).

I would be more apt to use LiPo's if three things happen;
1) Raw cells are approved by a third party test agency
2) RC Pack is approved by third party test agency
3) RC Pack is provided with a special proprietary connector that allows use of a single charger/balancer similar to whats inside a laptop.

This all equals a huge rise in cost and possibly a performance decrease

GOVERNMENT TESTING!!!! They tested the BOMB so why not something that's apparently just as dangerous? Maybe we could pull our troops out of Iraq and drop LiPo batteries on them. I'm sure that'll teach'em. We need 3-4 outside organizations including the World Wildlife Federation (WWF), the North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA), and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) to independently review what companies can't be trusted to do for themselves. I mean if there product explodes constantly and gains a bad reputation for reliability, we idiots would still buy them wouldn't we.
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #92
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muahdib4
GOVERNMENT TESTING!!!! They tested the BOMB so why not something that's apparently just as dangerous? Maybe we could pull our troops out of Iraq and drop LiPo batteries on them. I'm sure that'll teach'em. We need 3-4 outside organizations including the World Wildlife Federation (WWF), the North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA), and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) to independently review what companies can't be trusted to do for themselves. I mean if there product explodes constantly and gains a bad reputation for reliability, we idiots would still buy them wouldn't we.
Still haven't tried decaf, eh?
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #93
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Several people have posted about Li-Ion and Li-Mn cells. They have similar characteristics but LiPo delivers more power (lower internal resistance, if I remember correctly). LiPo's better fit what we need in cars.

Oh and for the record I am in favor of ROAR allowing Lipo's.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:29 AM   #94
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml
Still haven't tried decaf, eh?
That reminds me...BAN CAFFEINE TOO!!! It's a drug and people can't control their caffeine intake. People can't make good decisions on what to put into their bodies so we need to ban it.
KC/RC Drift Movement
Old 03-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #95
Tech Addict

LOL!

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #96
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Yeah, let the government handle it, they do such a good job. For what it's worth, California requires our nitro fuel to be sold in steel containers. No risk of steel containers creating sparks if they get dropped on Pavement or anything.
That's not true in any way.

I know it's somewhat of a national pastime to hate on California, but that's one of the dumbest attempts I've heard recently.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #97
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Word,
I have a gallon of O'Donnel 30% in a white plastic jug a bought last week.....
Only Traxxas and Duratrax come in steel containers...

LONG LIVE CALIFONIA.....at least the part that stays attached after the BIG ONE.....LOL
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:20 AM   #98
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml
Several people have posted about Li-Ion and Li-Mn cells. They have similar characteristics but LiPo delivers more power (lower internal resistance, if I remember correctly). LiPo's better fit what we need in cars.

Oh and for the record I am in favor of ROAR allowing Lipo's.
Only when Roar reverses their decision to ban Li-Po from their race program,will I ever reconsider rejoining Roar and show any kind of support for them ....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:42 PM   #99
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
Word,
I have a gallon of O'Donnel 30% in a white plastic jug a bought last week.....
Only Traxxas and Duratrax come in steel containers...

LONG LIVE CALIFONIA.....at least the part that stays attached after the BIG ONE.....LOL
-Shookie <><
Ahhh...I can't wait for the big one...all the screaming California Liberals trying to form commities on how best to drown and whether or not it infringes on someone elses rights to drown in their own way.

*ducks...runs and hides*
KC/RC Drift Movement
Old 03-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #100
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Ahhh...I can't wait for the big one...all the screaming California Liberals trying to form commities on how best to drown and whether or not it infringes on someone elses rights to drown in their own way.

*ducks...runs and hides*
muahdib4...you should run for President! That was the best quote to date!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #101
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Aren't LIPOs only dangerous in California? I thought everything RC (solder, flux, motor spray, traction compound, etc) only causes cancer if used in California? Did I read that wrong?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #102
Tech Regular

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
Aren't LIPOs only dangerous in California? I thought everything RC (solder, flux, motor spray, traction compound, etc) only causes cancer if used in California? Did I read that wrong?
In California, every single substance, element, component would cause cancer........ that's why they need Prop 65 warning. Since cancer everywhere, I don't understand why tons of people still moving in and cause terrible traffic...... I wonder people forgot California is a cancer state or they want to have cancer....
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #103
Tech Addict

Wow the weather is here wish you weren't jealous

Just because our seasons are measured by how little the ladies are wearing is no reason to hate

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
Old 03-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #104
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
Wow the weather is here wish you weren't jealous

Just because our seasons are measured by how little the ladies are wearing is no reason to hate
Oh, I wouldn't usually hate on Cali but I heard the Tamiya track is going away...now I'll never get to race there. So, I decided to take it out on the entire state.
KC/RC Drift Movement
Old 03-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #105
Tech Addict

Quote:
Oh, I wouldn't usually hate on Cali but I heard the Tamiya track is going away...now I'll never get to race there. So, I decided to take it out on the entire state.
Understood, I feel your pain.