R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #271
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
Racer's edge recently started selling a 5000 too.

http://www.racers-edge.com/store/cus...6&cat=0&page=1

It looks just like the Core RC 5000...
I'm running the 6000's and the wires that stick out (The battery leads) are wearing and cracking right where the wires come out of the wrapper. I'm not sure if the same wear will happen with a plasic case but if the ports are sharp they will rub the same I would think. The Orions and the Velocity one are by far the ticket to my experience. And now that I have seen those new Velocities they are the best design in safety and all round ease of balancing. heck you could balance right in the kit. With out all the wires all over the place. Those velocities are nice and tidy.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 PM   #272
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
I'm running the 6000's and the wires that stick out (The battery leads) are wearing and cracking right where the wires come out of the wrapper. I'm not sure if the same wear will happen with a plasic case but if the ports are sharp they will rub the same I would think. The Orions and the Velocity one are by far the ticket to my experience. And now that I have seen those new Velocities they are the best design in safety and all round ease of balancing. heck you could balance right in the kit. With out all the wires all over the place. Those velocities are nice and tidy.
Yeah, my 8000 is also worse for wear and that Velocity does look sweet. I'm still hoping that someone will make a 360g+ hard case lipo that is designed for indoor electric offroad. If not, I'll load my buggy up with lead sooner than later because more and more tracks are becoming lipo friendly every day.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:23 PM   #273
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis View Post
Yeah, my 8000 is also worse for wear and that Velocity does look sweet. I'm still hoping that someone will make a 360g+ hard case lipo that is designed for indoor electric offroad. If not, I'll load my buggy up with lead sooner than later because more and more tracks are becoming lipo friendlly every day.
If only the case lipos could cram a little more in to them. I don't need the 8000's but I'm getting some. I plan to do some serious Mod racing this winter.

The 6000's are making 20 minutes in the dirt. Running Novak 5800 and 4300.
Still gonna go to the 8000's.
I would say as long as they are 7.4 what the heck.
I would like to get away from the shrink wrap packs and I know the difference. But the Mah's are more important to me.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:21 AM   #274
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

quick question. I have an orion 4800 lipo that I want to use with a esc that does not have a lvc built in. From reading orion's site they state that you can run it without a lvc as long as you stop driving when it dumps. I have only used lipos with esc's that have lvc's built in. When the lipo dumps will this be obvious? Am I playing with fire by not using an lvc? The only reason I ask is that when I have hit lvc before it is not obvious that the pack has dumped....it feels just a tad slower than the first lap.

thanks
wfdfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:28 AM   #275
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdfiremedic View Post
quick question. I have an orion 4800 lipo that I want to use with a esc that does not have a lvc built in. From reading orion's site they state that you can run it without a lvc as long as you stop driving when it dumps. I have only used lipos with esc's that have lvc's built in. When the lipo dumps will this be obvious? Am I playing with fire by not using an lvc? The only reason I ask is that when I have hit lvc before it is not obvious that the pack has dumped....it feels just a tad slower than the first lap.

thanks
Why not just add a Novak smart stop as a precaution? Or maybe the Apogee L.O.A. Both of them are pretty cheap.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:34 AM   #276
Tech Addict

yeah i think that is what i am going to do. Until then I will just run the pack for a limited time to ensure I maintain the voltage.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #277
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdfiremedic View Post

thanks
You probably don't need a LVC with the Orion/Kokam packs. This ONLY applies to Kokam cells.

I run a bunch of lipo cycling fixtures at work. A couple months ago, the power went out in my lab over the weekend. The cycling machines went dead and those fixtures put a small parsitic drain on all the batteries on test.

When I arrived at work monday - all the cells were discharged to about 1V/cell. Oh [email protected]#$. I decided to turn the fixtures back on to run a couple of cycles anyways. The Kokam cells were at 100% capacity with no increase in IR. All the other manufacturers cells from 3 other manufacturers lost 20-50% of their original capacity. I let the Kokam cells run another 100 cycles...good as new. The cells from the other manufacturers were destroyed.

Kokam says that 2.5V/cell under load is the absolute minimum the cell should be discharged to. Usually, they say to stay above 2.7V/cell to have a little bit of a buffer.

I've been running an experiment testing the limits of the cells and purposely set the low voltage at 2.2V/cell, which is far below the Kokam recommended limit. I'm at 400 complete cycles already and there is virtually no degredation in cell performance.

You will definitely feel the car get much slower when the cells are at 2.7V (5.4V as a 2 cell series pack).

I don't use a LVC and pull my car off when it slows.

The only danger of running the cells that low is that there is a much greater chance of your cells drifting out of balance - thus making a balancer necessary.

-ling
Old 09-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #278
Tech Addict

yeah....I did a little experimenting today. I ran the pack until it dumped without a lvc. I placed the pack immediately on the charger and it read 6.25 volts. It was very obvious the pack had dumped and it was within the cuttoff voltage parameters, so I guess as linger states, there really isn't an absolute need for the lvc.

thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #279
Suspended

McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #280
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blo...mion-ba-1.html

Some good reading there about our cousin, Lithium-Ion.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #281
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to r0adrunn3r

bump
r0adrunn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #282
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Can anyone please post their comments about the MRC SuperBrain 989 Lipo charger: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLTW4&P=ML

Just wondering if you can charge Orion Lipo packs with this? I belive MR. Black from Orion posted that this charger or the previous model had problems charging their Orion Lipos...
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:30 AM   #283
Tech Regular

I have two and its a good charger for the money. Its super easy to navigate and it does everything you want it do minus graphs and some other settings that the higher end chargers have. Overall its a nice product.
team orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #284
Tech Adept

hey, i have one too(989) and have had no problems with charging trak-power 4900's. I believe the older models had some lipo problems. I haven't read anything bad about the 989. the rc car mag review was 9.5/10. losing points for its shape and pack ability. Dan.
danimal1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:34 PM   #285
Tech Elite

do not use mrc chargers to charge orion lipo packs.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote