R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #226
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Besides drawing 20c...I have never seen a transmitter fly down a track at 40+ mph with epic crashes into walls and other cars.......

Might be way out in left field......but I am gonna guess they think the car packs are just a tad more at risk and pushed to the edge.....

Later EddieO
Old 03-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #227
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
MrBlack, what has Orion done to work with ROAR on the issue? I know they have tried to submit batteries for review but what other things have they done? I know on the surface some of what is implied seems unreasonable -- but Im sure if a company such as Team Orion were to ask ROAR their concerns and how they could ease them then they might be willing to work with them on it. It seems to me ROAR is bashing lipo without all the knowledge and Team Orion is bashing ROAR without knowing what their concerns are. The person I talked to seems like a very reasonable and approachable person that Im sure would speak further to you about it. If you want to PM me I can get you the name of the person I spoke to and his contact info is on the ROAR website. Seems like parties discussing this on a website forum rather then directly on the phone isnt going to get this hobby moving forward (esp when one of the parties doesnt seem to be in the discussion).
We have tugged at the ear of every ROAR member we could have and offered many explinations and examples of our testing and R&D to prove how safe our packs were. I think ROAR is not against our batteries they simply have not found a solution to intergrate them. Like I said before ROAR does not answer to the manufactuers they answer to the racers. Infact I do not think they should answer to the manufactuers as this would be like the Gov. answering to the Oil companies, and can you amagine what would happen then?

I would like to know what some of you expect us to do sans provide information and samples to test? Remmber there is nor fee to buy your product legal a marketing push to get a product approved by a certian org. would come off as a negative against said org.

I have not bashed ROAR nor has ROAR bashed us?

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:38 PM   #228
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml
You don't abuse the transmitter batteries as much as the batteries for the car, unless your transmitter draws 20c
But you do charge them. You rarely see a negative story about LiPo that does not occur during the charge process. You do need to charge a transmitter battery and many do at the track and a low quality LiPO transmitter pack can do all the horror that a car LiPo or NiMH battery does if abused.

Radio are dropped they are left backing in a black plastic inclosure, they are over discharged etc.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
Old 03-28-2007, 12:42 PM   #229
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO
Besides drawing 20c...I have never seen a transmitter fly down a track at 40+ mph with epic crashes into walls and other cars.......
Actually I have seen this twice however it was due to a driver frustration and not an error in driving, but no it is not common and I did not have a gun t clock the MPH but 35-40 would be my guess based on the amount of radio shatter.

Just an FYI this year at the Reedy expect speeds of 50+ on the straight in open mod as some have been testing 6 cell brushless and they are turning 48+MPH passes with a slippery surface and non race cells.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #230
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Uh, what planet do you live on? The government does answer to the oil companies...

And while the occasional idiot may throw his radio.....its not what they normal see....and it kinda takes out the arguement of it being in his hand anymore.....cars are subject to insane speeds and crashes every time they hit the track......

Later EddieO
Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #231
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO
Uh, what planet do you live on? The government does answer to the oil companies...

And while the occasional idiot may throw his radio.....its not what they normal see....and it kinda takes out the arguement of it being in his hand anymore.....cars are subject to insane speeds and crashes every time they hit the track......

Later EddieO

LOL! I hope your sarcasm is in answer to mine if not I am sorry you missed it.

Yes throwing radios in fits of frustration it is VERY (seen it only twice in 12 years of weekly racing) rare but it has happened I am only pointing it out.

Last edited by MrBlack; 03-28-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:28 PM   #232
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I saw a guy pick up his nitro car and slam it down on the engine a couple times. I think he was mad. Moments later he sold all the RC stuff he owned real cheap.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #233
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to r0adrunn3r

I thought if an RC plane crashed the LiPo pack would suffer some impact damage. The packs they use are much bigger and aren't in a hard case (like the Orion and Trakpower packs). Also the plane could be travelling faster than a car.

Mr Black - have you subjected your packs to impact tests. Are they likely to split in an accident?
r0adrunn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #234
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to r0adrunn3r

Mr Black - if a LiPo cell is torn apart - What happens?

From the videos I have seen, the explosion and fire is a result of overcharging the packs. I haven't heard if an explosion if the cell is ripped apart...
r0adrunn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:55 PM   #235
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

There's a video floating around of the Kokam cells being punctured with a nail gun while charging, and all it does is release a lot of smoke, but no flame.

I'm not sure if they've tried to overcharge the cells and see how the react. I haven't heard it talked about, at least.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:52 PM   #236
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I wanted to see if we could run a single cell voltage in 12th (3.7v) and it can be done. I raced two of my runs today on 3 NiMh cells and it worked just fine. You just need a receiver pack.

The funny thing is that it's not that much slower on a tight track (mod brushless). The speed at the end of the straight is about the same but it doesn't have the rip in the infield. It was easier in the tires, speedo and motor but a lot harder on the batteries. For LiPo you'll need a single cell cutoff so that you don'tover discharge.

If the cells had the same capacity it might even bring back some of the old school driving. You might not be able to run flat out for the entire run anymore.
OK guys. 1 cell LIPO in a 1/12 scale WORKS!!!
The power of 3 cells - the weight of 2 cells. About as fast as a 19 turn 4 cell 1/12th scale and runtime up the wazzooo.

pics here
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...ostcount=24588
Old 04-04-2007, 11:59 PM   #237
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger
OK guys. 1 cell LIPO in a 1/12 scale WORKS!!!
The power of 3 cells - the weight of 2 cells. About as fast as a 19 turn 4 cell 1/12th scale and runtime up the wazzooo.

pics here
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...ostcount=24588
Wow, with all the 1/12 love for its ease of maintenance, this could be huge. You sir, are a hero. :-)
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:04 AM   #238
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Wow, with all the 1/12 love for its ease of maintenance, this could be huge. You sir, are a hero. :-)
Full throttle with a 1 cell and 7 turn had no visible brush arching. I can't wait to try it on the track! This thing is LIGHT - and with the spiralling costs of touring cars - this might turn into my favorite class.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:09 AM   #239
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to ford_racing

That looks cool, if that was legal I'd definitely have a 12th in my collection
ford_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #240
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0adrunn3r
I thought if an RC plane crashed the LiPo pack would suffer some impact damage. The packs they use are much bigger and aren't in a hard case (like the Orion and Trakpower packs). Also the plane could be travelling faster than a car.

Mr Black - have you subjected your packs to impact tests. Are they likely to split in an accident?
In a plane they are either attached with rubber bans or in a foam or soft wood fuselage (usually) so they are beter protected against impact as well as the majority of flyers tend to fly over soft surfaces, (i.e. non paved)

A car actually prvide a harder impact as their is genrally more speed and momentum involved pluss a car tends to involve impact against hard surfaces and against a chassis of other vehicles sometimes at a closing rate of plus 100MPH.

They are not likely to split or puncture during an accident because of the case not only provides a hard surface to deflect any enrergy but it is also flexible enought to dispate said energy.

We did over a year of testing different methods with pro drivers and managed to destroy quite a few cells from impact and punctures when we used shrink wrap and even lexan as a barrier. We even managed to have the cells come loose from the chassis and drag on the ground which quickly wore through the shrink wrap, lexan and foil another reason we use a case as having cells come loose if something that happens quite often at an event after a hard impact.