Wiki Posts
Search

Asphalt Traction - Sugar to Water Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ammdrew
We have a product that mixes with water and will last for more then one race week, We usually put it down monthly.

MMR Track Grip. Have the track contact us.

Works with foam and rubber tires, does not attract Dirt, is not sticky to the touch but gives a very consistent grip that lasts. bonus is it does not wash off in the rain.
YGPM

Originally Posted by tallyrc
marcos has got it, i make my own sodas, and the ratio is generally around 1 pound of sugar per 1 gallon of water.. i wonder if anything cn be added to keep it from just drying or recrystalizing...
What about adding corn syrup to the sugar / water mix, to make it more like soda?

What about Kool Aid? Has anyone tried that? I know 90+% is just sugar, but maybe the other ingredients might help.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by A. Rhodes
Does anyone know a good ratio of mixing sugar and water for asphalt traction? We have used orange soda for the last several seasons, but looking for a way to cut some costs at the local track. Any help would be appreciated.
We use 4L water : 1kg sugar, works grate.
To cover whole track, most of the time its enough with 20L of this mixture.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

i have a question and a answer i know we use d a baking corn syrup for our gas car track that worked well until the sun came out and the bugs came after ti but it had a ton of bite but i dont know if it would work with rubber tires but we have a new electric track that i have to seal and i need to know what is the best sealer out their to use we want good traction and we are only runngi electric on it with rubber tires
Old 03-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

hmm maybe like jello.. the gellatin may help here.. some experimentation may be in order.. if nothing else the local ants will be well fed... most commercial sodas use non-fructose corn syrup.. which you can actualy buy at a good home-brew store... i had a post going the other day about VHT, and folks sid that you can actually buy soda syrups from coke and pepsi joints for a good price then dilute it yourself too...
Old 03-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

at the 1/8 racers of toledo, we mix mountain dew syrup and methanol. the md syrup makes the track sticky as hell and the methanol evaporates and makes people trip and fall b/c of all the traction. oh and add a little thing of 20% caster oil. spray this about 2 hrs before racing and your set. a 50 gal. barrel of methanol lasts about 1.5 months.

-Zac
Old 03-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

methanol is also what is mixed with VHT to cut it, but i thought it was becasue it evaporates fast and leaves no residue... methanol is also $1.50 per galon..
Old 03-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Z.Hallett
at the 1/8 racers of toledo, we mix mountain dew syrup and methanol. the md syrup makes the track sticky as hell and the methanol evaporates and makes people trip and fall b/c of all the traction. oh and add a little thing of 20% caster oil. spray this about 2 hrs before racing and your set. a 50 gal. barrel of methanol lasts about 1.5 months.

-Zac
thats what i heard too but the good thing about sugar water is that the track can be ready to run in a few minutes
Old 03-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

could this be used for carpet?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you are going to use sugar and water be sure to spike you 10lb sugar to 10Gal water mix with 2 Liters of any kind of cheap soda.

There are chemicals in the soda that prevent sugar from crystalizing. This will save your but the first time you overdo spraying a corner.

If you dont mix in soda and you put too much sugar water down you can end up with a hazy, powdery mess that has zero traction.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A few sugar water guidelines:

1. When you spray the track remember the object is to keep the dust down NOT to make the track sticky. I light mist is just fine. Puddles are bad. Tracks that are hosed with sugar water or any other traction treatment are inconsistant.

2. Spray the ENTIRE racing surface not just the corners and racing line. I raced at a track that sprayed jsut the corners. Your tires would pick up dust on the straits where there was no sugar water...not good! You also have to spray outside the racing line or else if you blow a corner your tires will get dirty and it will take a lap to get them clean again.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
A few sugar water guidelines:

1. When you spray the track remember the object is to keep the dust down NOT to make the track sticky. I light mist is just fine. Puddles are bad. Tracks that are hosed with sugar water or any other traction treatment are inconsistant.

2. Spray the ENTIRE racing surface not just the corners and racing line. I raced at a track that sprayed jsut the corners. Your tires would pick up dust on the straits where there was no sugar water...not good! You also have to spray outside the racing line or else if you blow a corner your tires will get dirty and it will take a lap to get them clean again.

Sounds very credible. I've had my car go wide only to find myself cruising for a lap to regain traction. Thanks for posting Adrian M. Hopefully people that read this institute some of this into thier programs.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:29 AM
Tech Adept

we take about 1 kg of sugar and 8 liters of water, mix it and then pour it in a garden sprayer and spray the track lightly. Very fast and easy and always consistant track conditions which is important for testing.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:43 AM
Tech Adept

Just curious about this discussion of sugar and soda mixes. Doesn't it attract lots of pests such as ants and cockaroaches. Both to the actual track and all your equipment (that you take home as well) that runs on the track and picks up all the residue.