R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-27-2003, 09:51 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to M Ignacio
Default Axiom vs. Putnam Propulsion

Which do you guys think is better/faster/ torquer( if there is such a word , the Axiom version of the Monster or the Putnam Propulsion version of the Monster. Please post your/ another's experiences, good/bad about these motors. Thanks
M Ignacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 11:14 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Axiom all the way. Its all about tuning and David at axiom knows whats up Also the 12% stock brushes work very very well in stock. I have not missed a top 4 A- main in a long time do to a slow motor.
teamAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 04:47 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

You may also want to try a Team 1 built motor. Here is there address.
www.team1rc.com
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 09:50 AM   #4
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well Putnam has been into motors for almost longer than anyone in the field except for Jim Dieter and Mike Reedy. Putnam also was Jim's right hand man with technology for several years. In other words, Putnam is the unspoken master of motors and is just starting to get his name out there. He is at almost every big race tweaking all types of peoples motors, even if they are not his own. I would choose Putnam any day of the week at a National event, his tuning has almost 60% of the stock national titles last year alone.

AE | Reedy | KO | Tekin | Powermaster | Avid | Upgrade | BCE | Paint by Smiley
David Joor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 01:50 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by David Joor
Well Putnam has been into motors for almost longer than anyone in the field except for Jim Dieter and Mike Reedy. Putnam also was Jim's right hand man with technology for several years. In other words, Putnam is the unspoken master of motors and is just starting to get his name out there. He is at almost every big race tweaking all types of peoples motors, even if they are not his own. I would choose Putnam any day of the week at a National event, his tuning has almost 60% of the stock national titles last year alone.
Well put David. Todd Putnam is a great guy who is honest about his company and does a darn great job tuning his motors. I'm not saying this because I drive for him, but because his name and products are well known all the way out here to the west coast.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 03:51 PM   #6
Tech Champion

i would have to agree w/ dj and rci on that matchup. Todd nearly sweeps everything his motors are in. one race this year he won, but lost because of transponder problems. a buddy of mine got some monsters that shut the turbo35 off at 2 volts. i've run em for 2 years, and i love em to death. fastest motors i have ever seen, well in my car anyway. if u go to his site, he says that he builds faster motors, not motors faster like some other companies out there. all of his motors' numbers are very close to the same numbers i get on my dyno. Trinity's motors are always way off. i don't know how axioms are though.
punkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 06:54 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Axiom all the way. Dave at axiom knows motors like teamae said. I had no shortage of HP at this past weekend's NORRCA Carpet Nats. Yes Putnam has won lots of races, but then again, he has lots of talented drivers running for him too.

Another thing about Axiom's 12% brush, they provide LOTS of rip and top-end at the same time and they will keep most of that power for 3-4 runs. I doubt you putnam favored guys can say that their green brushes will last any reasonable length of time.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 07:03 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Of course he wins a lot races because of his good drivers, but do you think he got those good drivers because his tuning sucks? If it matter Ron Atomic and Alex Lopez made every stock A main at all the major races, such as the snowbirds, cleveland, nationals, octoberfest, and the list goes on. Glen Bean is a driver for Axiom and Glen is smoking fast and if Matt Lee runs for Axiom he is another very fast guy.

As far as the brushes, the greens brushes don't last as long because they are higher than 12%, try the red brushes if you want to compare the 12% brush, it will perform the same.

Last edited by David Joor; 03-30-2003 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:51 PM   #9
R/C Tech Founder

This is kind of a funny discussion. Stepping aside from the brush debates, which can actually be physically different, what do you think is really going on in a motor tuner's laboratory?

The basic process that a tuner goes through when a motor is received is pretty much the same: take the motor apart and clean any factory dust off of it, align the brush hoods, true the commutator, put in his choice of brushes/springs. Dyno it and see what happens. Basically, all of the same stuff that you or I would do at the track.

From that point forward, a tuner's skill comes in to play, in balancing the armature. Experience pays off here. Then a break-in period, which will vary from tuner-to-tuner. I have heard of other odd treatments, such as cold storage of the motor cans, or using special lubricants, but I'm not a big proponent of much of that stuff.

At this point, a motor is ready to be shipped to the end user (you or I).

Now, tell me this: the first time you take apart this motor at the track, is it still "hand-tuned" by the tuner, or is it now tuned by you, and none other? The only residual effect of the tuner's work is the armature balancing, and maybe some of the other mumbo-jumbo that may have gone on. Most end users are able to check the other stuff on their own, and take the motors completely apart after every few runs.

So really, the argument here, as far as "Whose Monster Horsepower motor is better than whose?" is really a rather dumb one. You guys should really be discussing which tuner has a better brush/spring combo (or compound).

Now I'm not saying you shouldn't buy tuned motors; for the extra few bucks, I think they are well worth it, especially given Trinity's lack of quality control (at least that's been my experience). I will always buy a tuned motor over a regular one, just to know that somebody halfways competent has been through it and tested it out. An untuned Trinity stocker is usually around $27, a tuned motor will run anywhere from $33 to $40 depending on where you look.

Still, I think it's sort of a dumb debate, to be saying "My XXX tuned Brand Z stock motor is better than your YYY tuned Brand Z stock motor." Because it's probably not.

edit: It should be noted that I'm referring to stock motors here. Mods are a different ballgame entirely.

Last edited by futureal; 03-30-2003 at 08:58 PM.
futureal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 09:08 PM   #10
Tech Addict

It is definately a dumb discussion, I am only in it because Todd deserves a lot more credit and personally find it lame for a sponsored driver period to come in and giving their opinion on the product they run for in a versus thread.

FWIW - I don't even race stock unless it forced onto me, and at that time I go to the shop and buy a non dyno'd stocker off the wall. Since stockers don't make a difference if they are tuned or what have you, I would go with Putnam on pure Mod experience and respect for one of the best tuners out there.

Old 03-31-2003, 12:29 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

The difference between a Putnum, Axium, Team 1, Trinity, Fantom is really nothing. They all do a good job and like Futureal said after the first time its rebuilt by you it is no longer a "special motor" The funniest part about this whole thread is that if you smack a board (or if you wheel nut falls off) it doesn't matter how fast you motor is. I personally just buy any one off the shelf and try and tune it myself and most of the time I get it pretty close or at least close enough for club racing.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 12:44 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

I heard that! Lightspeed is the way to got though!just bs-ing.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:25 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by David Joor
It is definately a dumb discussion, I am only in it because Todd deserves a lot more credit and personally find it lame for a sponsored driver period to come in and giving their opinion on the product they run for in a versus thread.
That's why I kept my mouth shut on this one Dave. Good to see you visiting rctech. Hope to race with you again soon.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote