R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-15-2007, 06:06 AM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default eddieo

I have a simple question. Why is it that when anyone dares to question anything EddieO is involved in, income always comes up.

I am sure that you (Eddie) are very wealthy and are therefore better than all us. I am sure your track is the best in the world bar none. I am sure you are also better looking that all us mere mortals, and I am sure that you can wheel a car better than anyone else, if only you had a little time away from your president position. I am sure that your motors and batteries are the best around, and I am sure that you will continue to dominate us mere mortals in the brushless and lipo days ahead. If all of the above are true, great for you.

If someone doesn't have as much knowledge as you about something, the first thing you do is immediately call them ignorant, or start comparing tax information.

I hope in person you are a nice guy who simply blows off steam by letting his competitive side get carried away on these forums.

Last edited by billjacobs; 03-15-2007 at 07:03 AM.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:57 AM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

As with most industries these days...if you depend on doing what you did last week, month, year, decade to continue to make you a buck today you WILL be left behind. I have no sympathy for people who expect things to stay the same so that they can continue to make money the only way they know how.

EddieO doesn't strike me as this type of person (from what I've read from him here and elsewhere) so don't think this is directed at you. It's more for the generic argument that BL will put people out of business.

As for people bragging about the money the make...in my experience, those who do have money, don't brag. Those who are mortgaged to the hilt to appear to have money...they are the braggers.

Anyways, back to the Novak 13.5...great move adding the sintered rotor and keeping the price the same.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #78
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think he said he WANTED brushless to put anyone out of business. He simply sees the merits of the brushless motor as requiring less tinkering to perform to spec and said he would be sorry if it put anyone out of business, but preferred the brushless regardless. Ur misunderstanding his words and intent IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acyrier
Why would you want to put me out of business? I didn't do anything.....
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:46 AM   #79
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
As for people bragging about the money the make...in my experience, those who do have money, don't brag. Those who are mortgaged to the hilt to appear to have money...they are the braggers.
I agree, in general those that have money dont brag. My curiousity got to me though and I googled with the info I knew and If Im correct he probably does make a LOT of money -- and he wasnt kidding when he said that is something that is impossible to lose money (which tipped me off on what it was).

My guess is EddieO and team are watching brushless closely and they will find a way to make them better then they already are someway somehow. Or as with a lot of things in RC generate the marketing necessary to make us believe its better (which is sometimes all we need to actually be better).
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:54 AM   #80
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO
Oh cherry.....how little you know about business and taxes.....br00d is under the same tax number as my main business.....which is IMPOSSIBLE to lose money....I don't deduct anything really.....all cake man....all cake.

Later EddieO
EddieO...you've got something wrong with your website.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #81
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The weird part is, guys advocating brushless don't even flinch when someone mentions that a new and faster stock motor is out, or when someone mentions a new and more expensive and time consuming trick they can do to get more out of a stock motor.

However, make that motor brushless, and suddenly having a motor with an advantage is a sin. Guess what guys, having a motor with an advantage is the biggest reason I dislike the current stock class.

Ultimately there are two ways to have a stock brushless class:
1. Limit the class to one motor.
2. Put a limit on one or more of the motor's specs (i.e. weight) and let the manufacturers duel it out to have the strongest motor within those specs.

There's tons of support for #1. However, #2 is what we use for the brushed stock class. Hypocrisy abounds.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #82
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Bragging about money makes my ePeen feel this: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- big.

I hope nobody actually wishes for a company to go out of business. You really can't give that too much thought when you're moving forward with technology. The companies will adapt or die. It's a sad reality of business, but it's just that, business. I believe the guys running these businesses to be good men and women (even Eddie) and hope they continue to offer value to R/C racing as it changes.

It does concern me that there's this underlying attitude of throwing money or litigation around to try and slow the adoption of new technology, but that too will fail.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:30 AM   #83
Tech Master

@acyrier- If you turn the timing down, to make the motor cooler, you also loose some RPM, so you get slower, to compensate, you gear back up the tooth and it's about the same in the end.

The difference certainly does vary with the track size. So it's hard to say for sure exactly what the gearing change is for "every" application. For argument's sake, I'd say .5-2 teeth, but again, the power or speed of the car doesn't change.

@shodaman- Depends. Originally the 4.5 didn't come with a sintered rotor. Now it does. You can tell by turning the motor. The sintered rotor motors have much stronger magnetic feel to them. Bonded rotors often feel to have no magnets in comparison. Or open it up and look. Our Sintered Rotors are Chrome.

Who wants to know what I make in a year?..... Man I love the internet more and more everyday.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:37 AM   #84
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceracer
I don't think he said he WANTED brushless to put anyone out of business. He simply sees the merits of the brushless motor as requiring less tinkering to perform to spec and said he would be sorry if it put anyone out of business, but preferred the brushless regardless. Ur misunderstanding his words and intent IMO.
ice, what people read and what people understand are not often the same things.. as you stated, i never once even remotely infered that i WANTED anybody to go out of business, but the threat they feel from the brushless motors is evident.. i think the ramifications of tweeked this and zapped that are already beeing felt throughout the hobby as more people are leaving than joining, and spec and stock classes seem to be getting hit the hardest... it also really and truely saddens me to hear that folks are absolutely getting RICH while a hobby intended for fun is driving folks out of it solely based on cost alone... i hope they are happy.. when there is nobody left, they can roll around in all their money and wonder why nobody wants to come to the local track and play.. by the way, making 20 times what i did last year probably isn't hard, zero times zero is zero.. quite the meager penance.. meanwhile the person that knew more about motors than any of us in his little pinky often joked about trying to afford gas for his ratty old corvette cause he made so little and gave away all his knowledge to anybody that posted the questions.. RIP..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #85
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Oh my, the put the people out of business arguement....I love it...

Do me a favor, take what you make tallyrc in 2006.....times that by 20 or more....and I paid that in taxes in 2006...I am not going anywhere, anytime soon...

Besides......brushless = more battery sales....so I am hardly worried...not to mention we can dyno and cherry pick the best brushless motors.......all the same, just a new product.

Later EddieO
WOW, maybe somebody hacked into EddieO's account and posted this. Statements like these push me away from being a customer, no matter how great your products are!

vic
hierog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #86
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Who wants to know what I make in a year?..... Man I love the internet more and more everyday.
We dont need to be depressed anymore then we are Thanks for helping to push the brushless movement and setting facts straight. It must get tiresome and you must feel like a broken record but I think we will all eventually see the light.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:44 AM   #87
Tech Elite

charlie, i'm with ya.. haters keep on hating, you keep building great products.. i have officially forever sworn off brushed motors forever after this thread... i'm not supporting that sort of disposition..

Old 03-15-2007, 10:45 AM   #88
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hierog
WOW, maybe somebody hacked into EddieO's account and posted this. Statements like these push me away from being a customer, no matter how great your products are!

vic
i wasn't going to say it.. charlie on one hand and that in the other... hmmm

Old 03-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #89
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, look at it from my point of view.....I am TIRED of getting told I am going to be FORCED about of business by brushlees......or worse yet, people WISHING companies like mine out of business.

COmpanies like br00d, EAmotorsports, etc put forth a GOOD product at a good price. We work hard and don't take anyones money in a dishonest way......yet we still get this crap wished on us by people too lazy or cheap to build or buy a RC motor.

You can argue with me all I want......I hardly call people ignorant or compare tax info very often if at all, but if you are going with wish me out of business, then sure.....I am gonna throw it in your face.

Syndrome is a classic example on how to be pro brushless without being an ass......he likes the product, likes how it works....but doesn't sit there and wish people to have a downturn in their business nor does he bash the other side.

I use brushless sometimes myself.....some of my team guys do, ask Charlie.....I am aware of the product and its advantages/disadvantages......

And I dunno who is supposedly litigating or slowing development of brushless....certainly is not me.....I could careless.

As for buying my products or not, thats up to you......sorry if me jabbing back at crappy comments offended you, but it won't be the last time I do it.....it's just me.

Later EddieO
Old 03-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #90
Tech Champion

Quote:
Well, look at it from my point of view.....I am TIRED of getting told I am going to be FORCED about of business by brushlees......or worse yet, people WISHING companies like mine out of business.

COmpanies like br00d, EAmotorsports, etc put forth a GOOD product at a good price. We work hard and don't take anyones money in a dishonest way......yet we still get this crap wished on us by people too lazy or cheap to build or buy a RC motor.

You can argue with me all I want......I hardly call people ignorant or compare tax info very often if at all, but if you are going with wish me out of business, then sure.....I am gonna throw it in your face.

Syndrome is a classic example on how to be pro brushless without being an ass......he likes the product, likes how it works....but doesn't sit there and wish people to have a downturn in their business nor does he bash the other side.

I use brushless sometimes myself.....some of my team guys do, ask Charlie.....I am aware of the product and its advantages/disadvantages......

And I dunno who is supposedly litigating or slowing development of brushless....certainly is not me.....I could careless.

As for buying my products or not, thats up to you......sorry if me jabbing back at crappy comments offended you, but it won't be the last time I do it.....it's just me.

Later EddieO
I think these products do and will continue for a while to co-exist. There is obviously enough of the pie to go around as I assume both Br00d and Novak are both holding their own financially. I think people get carried away. Their hatred for cutting comms and doing motor maintenance spills over into hatred for those that support it. Its unfortunate. Please dont take any comments that I make about brushless personally. Ive purchased many things from Br00d in the past and Im sure I will in the future.