Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SS13.5 Pro Stock Brushless Motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

yea, the night brofore races i cycle some packs and spend time with the kids and wife.... between rounds i'll drink some sweet tea, maybe get a chili dog... visit friends...
Old 03-14-2007, 08:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default timing

Doesnt that put all the people that buy the new one with the timing ring at a disadvantage since they cant turn the timing up like everyone else has been doing? Ling only 10 more years and i will pay you back.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
The sintered rotor 13.5 is quite bit faster than a 27T motor no matter what Novak says. ROAR did the right thing by not allowing mixed classes. If they did everyone would have to run out and replace all their speedos and motors with more expensive (at least up front cost wise) brushless systems to be competitive.

I am sure there will be a ROAR 13.5 BL Stock and 10.5 BL Spec Mod class for 2008. If you guys want to make sure that happens those of you that are ROAR members better start letting ROAR know what you want. Email your region directors and the ROAR ExCom to let them know what you want to see rule wise for 2008.
I understand all that but do i have to wait for another year before ROAR makes
a spec class , now how long brushless motors (novak) or any other been around . shouldn't ROAR rules be upgraded to todays new technology as i comes.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Once again this is why ROAR did not mix classes or make BL rules for 2007. The world of BL motors and speedo is one giant live Beta test. In 6 months there could be BL motors that make everything you own now obsolete.

Hopefully the BL motor manufacturers can get together and sort out some guideline for themselves so things can settle down long enough that racer can get at least one season before that have to buy all new stuff.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:43 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Once again this is why ROAR did not mix classes or make BL rules for 2007. The world of BL motors and speedo is one giant live Beta test. In 6 months there could be BL motors that make everything you own now obsolete.

Hopefully the BL motor manufacturers can get together and sort out some guideline for themselves so things can settle down long enough that racer can get at least one season before that have to buy all new stuff.
Yea some guidelines would be cool because I surely don't want it to get that we have only one brand of brushless to choose from. Would like to see alot more companies involved instead of being forced to run Novak or LRP as an example. Lots of other companies making brushless stuff now so lets hope we get more companies other than 1 or 2.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I agree with a lot that has been said here, especially Adrian's posts.

What I'm waiting for is COMPETITION. Novak is the ONLY maker making a "stock" brushless motor. Waiting for LRP.. as I see they have a 13.5, but are saying it's more like a 23turn....geeze. So yes, there needs to be some standards set for teh "brushless stock" class. and what about differences between sensor and sonser less. Another item of contention apparently among the manufactures.

Our oval class has a pretty popular 4300 class. It's ok, but again, there's no competition among manufacturers. The rest of the manufacturers do need to get together..or some racing organization.. needs to get together and decide on a standard set of design rules for the different brushless classes. Untill that happens, I believe we will remain in this kinda limbo mode we are in right now.

Kings kid:
last year to run touring alone I bought six motors @ $35 each. Guess what I'm runnig from now on?
endquote...

Are you serious?! Since were running just at club level, that's an insane amount of motors. I didn't buy 6 motors for the 3 cars that I raced all year long. If you need some help maintaining those motors properly so they do last, please come ask me, I'll be glad to help. (Yes, the brushed motors need maintance...won't argue that) Matter of fact, I have the same 12th motor in my car from last year. I will say I don't maintain my brushed motors like some do. I only cut it about once every 4-6 weeks..if that. I just don't notice the drag that some do after a few runs. (www.axiommotors.com) and I think I win my fair share of our club races, so they must be doing the job. However last week I had one go smokey smokey. But if ya saw it smoke, ya had to admit it looked cool w/the smoke billlowing out from behind the truck as it crossed over the jump.

Our race coming up this weekend, were allowing the 13.5 in all stock classes. HOwever, I know there are advantages to the 13.5 in some classes. 12th for example, and 4-cell stock oval is another.

I feel from what has been running at our club races, the stadium trucks and tc's using stock motors are pretty comparable to the 13.5, however, I don't think anybody is running the sintered/ribbed can stuff yet. Not for sure on that though.

Were allowing it this year becuase of it's increased popularity, but next year, again as adrian has stated, we will probably be dividing them up as long as the demand/numbers are there.

Last edited by acyrier; 03-14-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The BL motor companies to not have BL motor technology mastered to the same degree as the BR motor companies do.

Why is an LRP 4.5 as fast as a Novak 3.5? LRP does not know and neither does Novak.

I have heard through the grapevine that the LRP 13.5 is quite a bit faster than the Novak 13.5. They use the same wire and follow the same rules. What the diffrence? LRP does not know and neither does Novak.

This is just motors...they are only 1/2 the equasion. I don't even want to open up the speed control can of worms
Old 03-14-2007, 10:32 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Its going to get real messy for awhile til this all runs its path and then finally settles down with some rules for all to follow. It is going to get alot worse before it eventually gets better.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Wait, weren't these things supposed to be cheaper? No more motor of the month......

Timing ring? Wait....was somebody tuning the untuneable motor?

Later EddieO
Old 03-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Tech Addict

Oh sure, I'm ok with one "stock" bl motor being faster then another "stock" BL motor. that's racing in general. Exactly what I ment about competition. It's the same reason somebody choses to buy a co2 over an monster..or whatever somebody thinks is faster. I just think right now BL is in it's infancy as far as competitive racing goes.

I also agree, it's gonna get worse before it get's better, and I think I can VISUALIZE the light at the end of the tunnel. (note, I didn't say I SEE the lite..just can visualize it. )

Were doing our best at our club to accomodate both, but there are only a handful of guys running the 13.5. and MOST of the other guys have a huge investment ahead... 160ish speedo and then an 80 motor (80 buy the time ya get it shipped etc)

I think someplace on this thread..maybe even this page somebody said they didn't think brushless technology was going to advance much more. I think were just seeing the beginning. Next couple years I think will be interesting.

seeya'll at the races,
Aaron
Old 03-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EddieO
Wait, weren't these things supposed to be cheaper? No more motor of the month......

Timing ring? Wait....was somebody tuning the untuneable motor?

Later EddieO
Isn't it crazy?! The couple guys at our club, when trying to get us to allow the brushless motors..that was one of their arguments..it would level the playing field, you didn't have to be a motor master to make them fast...blah. I said in time... people will figure out how to tune or tweak'em. Funny how that comes around.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

While I know its not "fair" wouldn't a 13.5 class of just Novak or just LRP motors be the best/cheapest way to go? If Novak agreed to freeze the 13.5 as it is right now for say 5 years and the only motor allowed was the Novak wouldn't racing be better? You would only need one motor, or one and a spare and you would know you wouldn't have to worry about the "latest" 13.5 or which 13.5 is the fastest for years.
Competition between motor companies will just turn into a motor war.... who can afford or wants to buy the latest B/L motor every month?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

I think as these things get sold in larger numbers, the price will come down like anything else.

I don't know if I personally want to see a "lrp 13.5" class and a "novak 13.5" class though. I think that would limit the number of people racing in a particular class. My real only example of that is: on our club nights, it takes 4 to make a class. I would rather race 8 people rather then get my butt kicked by the same 3 people every week.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ottoman
While I know its not "fair" wouldn't a 13.5 class of just Novak or just LRP motors be the best/cheapest way to go? If Novak agreed to freeze the 13.5 as it is right now for say 5 years and the only motor allowed was the Novak wouldn't racing be better? You would only need one motor, or one and a spare and you would know you wouldn't have to worry about the "latest" 13.5 or which 13.5 is the fastest for years.
Competition between motor companies will just turn into a motor war.... who can afford or wants to buy the latest B/L motor every month?
Sounds great in theory but what about guys who are "sponsored" by specific motor companies. They wouldn't be allowed to race? At the club level...do what you want IMO. I know our place races 13.5 alongside stock brushed but I think with sintered rotors...that'll change and we race a 4300/LiPo class. Neither are ROAR classes but they're what the racers wanted... (we also race Tamiya Mini's..not ROAR either but a LOT of fun).
Old 03-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ottoman
If Novak agreed to freeze the 13.5 as it is right now for say 5 years and the only motor allowed was the Novak wouldn't racing be better? You would only need one motor, or one and a spare and you would know you wouldn't have to worry about the "latest" 13.5 or which 13.5 is the fastest for years.
That would be a good idea. Not gonna happen though. It would be like expecting Trinity to not come out with a NEW stock brushed motor every few months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.