R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #286
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
I have tried the bonded/sintered 13.5 in a mid size carpet track with my Schumahcer....here is the breakdown

Bonded rotor.....5.5 FDR is the cutoff (at least for me)..thermalled around 4 minutes mark
Changed to sintered....I ran out of spur and pinion...but I know you can gear it to the moon (4.0 FDR) cause the Mi3 that ran with me was running 114/42 (4.89 FDR) and he was asking me to see I have a 46 pinion.

I have tried my TA05R with 93/40 (5.23) car is slow as hell....but I cannot gear it higher cause they don't have 88 spur and 50 pinion....nor I dont' think I can mount a 88 spur on my Ta05R...LOL
I've noticed about the same thing, with the bonded rotor, on my local(semi-short) track, if I go beyond about 5.8 FDR, it'll thermal on me, but with the sintered, I can gear any way I want & it's never thermalled. And about using an 88T spur on the TA05, yes you can, I did so at the Novak race in Jan.(had to so I could get the FDR I needed).....
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:45 AM   #287
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'll be glad to help you out with gear ratios. I can only tell you what works with the Corally RDX it gear ratio is times 2.00. The new car PHI will be ordered soon. After next week I've got the whole summer to get ready for the second part of the Fseara series.
We are all just experimenting with the gear ratios. Heck when I first got the motor for the first two state races I thermoed every race and main. That was with the bonded rotor. When the sintered rotor came out that was the biggest difference. No more thermo's!I was in the mid to high 5's in overall gear ratio before. Now I going to the lower 4's. I've seen the ratio Marco's talked about and right now I don't think I'm going that low.
I can tell you the next experiment is the 13.5 with a 4800 lipo.I'm trying to get afew more cars to try it with me in september.This is the direction Our hobby is going.By the way I'm competitive in my present class running one year old 4200IB batteries.I don't want to buy any new sub C's because I'm going with lipos soon.But again if I need to I will buy just one pack to get me thru my racing season.Oh the batteries I'm using I used in my Tamiya R/C tank for three months.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #288
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
I'll be glad to help you out with gear ratios. I can only tell you what works with the Corally RDX it gear ratio is times 2.00. The new car PHI will be ordered soon. After next week I've got the whole summer to get ready for the second part of the Fseara series.
We are all just experimenting with the gear ratios. Heck when I first got the motor for the first two state races I thermoed every race and main. That was with the bonded rotor. When the sintered rotor came out that was the biggest difference. No more thermo's!I was in the mid to high 5's in overall gear ratio before. Now I going to the lower 4's. I've seen the ratio Marco's talked about and right now I don't think I'm going that low.
I can tell you the next experiment is the 13.5 with a 4800 lipo.I'm trying to get afew more cars to try it with me in september.This is the direction Our hobby is going.By the way I'm competitive in my present class running one year old 4200IB batteries.I don't want to buy any new sub C's because I'm going with lipos soon.But again if I need to I will buy just one pack to get me thru my racing season.Oh the batteries I'm using I used in my Tamiya R/C tank for three months.
Bill check out the ratio on my car at Daytona
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:33 PM   #289
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

the only question i have ever had with the GTB is why the "open ends" of the heat sink face right into the wires at one end and the plugs at the other.. can't exactly be the optimal cooling situation compared to 90 degrees from that being unobstructed...
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #290
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
the only question i have ever had with the GTB is why the "open ends" of the heat sink face right into the wires at one end and the plugs at the other.. can't exactly be the optimal cooling situation compared to 90 degrees from that being unobstructed...
believe it or not there is not that much air flow moving under the body so it doesnt really matter
Old 06-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #291
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i would have thought it obstructed the fans air movement.. of coarse even that is minimal in the scheme of things i suppose..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #292
Tech Rookie

Default hey jimmy 35

is there a diff between a sintered rotor and a nickel plated sintered rotor ? ?

really fred
really fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #293
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by really fred View Post
is there a diff between a sintered rotor and a nickel plated sintered rotor ? ?

really fred
No.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #294
njt
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up my thoughts

the 13.5 sintered motor appears to at its best on low gearing 4.5 / 5.5 fdr. l run on a 5.1 fdr. the first thing you notice is the low speed torque the motor generates.there also is no drop of in performance if geared correctly. with such a big fdr l found the pinon acted like a fly wheel thus extra braking was required. as you are carrying more top end speed you will require more front end grip. the only problem l have encountered is on the start of a race that big fdr is a pig to get of the line the diff chirps !! and on a really slow corner, these two place's are were a brushed stock have a advantage with a slight better spread of power from the brushed motor.
njt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #295
Tech Apprentice

Anybody have any ideas on SS10.5 gearing compared to SS13.5?
Section 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #296
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 8 View Post
Anybody have any ideas on SS10.5 gearing compared to SS13.5?
i have my 10.5 geared at a 4.96 FDR so far and its plenty fast and the temps after 5 minutes are still under 160 degrees
Old 06-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #297
Tech Apprentice

Thanks...

What are you running for your SS13.5? I guess I should have been more clear. I will want to run less pinion with the SS10.5 correct?
Section 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:21 PM   #298
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 8 View Post
Thanks...

What are you running for your SS13.5? I guess I should have been more clear. I will want to run less pinion with the SS10.5 correct?
im around a 3.90 with the 13.5
Old 06-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #299
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

MarcoJ:I think both Rocky-Dave and Myself will be more conservative than your 3.90.I believe there is a point where you just are not going to get faster and build up more heat. I know I was plenty fast at PNP and we weren't near the ratio as some of the others.In fact some of my best times and more consistant times were with the higher gear ratio I was using.Now both Rocky and I are going to try afew more different options out this weekend.Hopefully my gears I ordered will come in this week to try out?Anyway I'm looking foward to this weekends race.After that the RDX is out and the RDX PHI will open up a whole new can of worms.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #300
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
MarcoJ:I think both Rocky-Dave and Myself will be more conservative than your 3.90.I believe there is a point where you just are not going to get faster and build up more heat. I know I was plenty fast at PNP and we weren't near the ratio as some of the others.In fact some of my best times and more consistant times were with the higher gear ratio I was using.Now both Rocky and I are going to try afew more different options out this weekend.Hopefully my gears I ordered will come in this week to try out?Anyway I'm looking foward to this weekends race.After that the RDX is out and the RDX PHI will open up a whole new can of worms.
well mine at 3.9 has never gotten hotter than 160 degrees and its plenty fast!!