R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #121
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I agree.. If you're good and not sponsored (allow small sponsorships) run what ya want, any kind of major sponsorship(like 70% of your stuff is free) you run 19t or mod, and paid you run mod period.

Last edited by jrighter; 03-13-2007 at 06:11 PM.
jrighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #122
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Flack
To answer the question "Should Pro Drivers Be In Stock" my belief is YES! I also agree with Mo that no Stock drivers are paid a salary. As a matter of fact there are very few Mod drivers that actually get a salary. There are travel teams and bonus plans for sure.

If this thread is started because of the Nationals results than I really don't get it. For one thing it was the Nationals for pete's sake! The best of the best should be the people that win. If you want to come to a big race and make the "A" Main because they wouldn't let the fastest guys race in your class then you would have a really nice trophy-----that means nothing!

As had been said many times, winning a stock class probably sells more cars for a manufacturer then winning Mod. The really good news is that you can actually buy everything that the winner uses...except skills. That seems to be a problem in this hobby/sport/competition, some people want to buy success but you just can't buy skill and natural ability. They will just have to face the fact that they are not as good as the "A" main guys and enjoy the hobby for the great friends and cool little cars we get to race. And what is really funny is that no one will think any less of you as a person if you can't win the "A", if you are a good person you will still be even if you win the "F" main.

For the record, I have one of those Mod Factory Drivers living in my house, every once in a while I try to drive his car, I can't because it turns too much, so I make him drive mine. You got it, my stuff is really fast! All I need are those damn skills and I will be in the "A".

Ted

You are absolutely right, you cant by skill. Some people have it and others dont, I for one dont about 98% of the time. 9 out of 10 times these "pro guys" have done this for a long period of time (years) not just starting 3 months ago and wonder why they are in the "f" main. Skill and knowledge will take most people further in this world than an idiot w/ a pocket full of cash
Old 03-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #123
Tech Fanatic

One other point though.. When I first started out our local track did have a sportsman or beginner class as they called it and I wouldn't run it. I wanted to chase the fast guys and follow their lines. It made me better. No one wants tp be labeled the newbie. A few years back we did try the 19t thing for about a month but found that everyone that should have stayed in the stock class started running 19t with us. We had 30 guys running 19t and 20 of them shouldn't have even been running stock probably. Tamiya silver can would have been the right amount of power. It was our polite way of seperating ourselves and honestly giving someone else a chance to win. Mo was there, I'm sure he remembers. You can't win for losing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Good points J, club racing is a different scenario though. At the club level, some sort of Sportsman v. Expert Class needs to be addressed. But at a large event, there is plenty of competition in 19T and modified for the advanced drivers to race in a category according to their skill level, without having to add sportsman classes.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #124
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBeam
probably the reason why on-road is dying.

our club racing around here there is pretty much no mod class. everyone is in stock. so there are clubs that only build small tracks to suit stock drivers. then mod drivers dont turn up coz the track is too small.

even in big events you will barely get 15 mod drivers
Agreed, in these situations, many other factors influence turnouts. One thing that I have discussed with some of the Factory guys around Texas is having the Hobby Shops and manufacturers to cooperate together a little bit more. Have 2-3 Different "Pro" Drivers representing each city/ track promoting the 19T/ modified class, instead of Having Huge concentrations of Stock/Mod guys in a few areas. The purpose of this being driving the sales of your specific Brand in all areas of the country, not just those where the manufacturers are close to the tracks. Conditions obviously would have to be running in the expert/19T or Modified where applicable. Bottom line is whoever wins at the local level, will sell a whole lot of product. But if they "stomp" every single racer in the stock class, lets face it, people get deterred from racing, classes shrink and eventually the growth of the hobby is stunted. It is a matter of "making the pie bigger" not "getting a bigger piece of the pie". If the hobby grows, everyone get a bigger piece.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:27 PM   #125
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

J, good point again. There is no reason why you should have to run in Sportsman either, if you want to run with the big guns, you should have the choice. I agree it makes you better and much quicker at that. But I think the point here is that if you have the skills, you shouldn't run in the "amateur" classes. In the big club racing days about 10-15 yrs ago, it use to always be stock for the up and comers/perenial sportsmen and Mod for the Fast Guys. When I was a kid and started getting good, I couldn't wait to move up to Mod and prove myself with the Sponsored guys. And whenever I started beating them it felt awesome being a privateer. Where "Pro's" hurt stock is the fact that there is a much bigger hurdle to overcome at any level now than ever. It is much more motivating for a person to see they are progressing if they have achievable goals. Even if it means making the A-main at a stock national with an "easier" pool of talent (eventhough it has been proven a few times that privateers can win), you still know that the next Hurdle is 19 turn and then the Modified Class. Nowadays, you are just as likely to win (or get smoked for that matter) in the Modified class as in the Stock classes.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #126
Tech Fanatic

True.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #127
Tech Master

what if every stock racer entered into the mod class then im sure their would a fair amount of pro guys in some of the qualifiers with the average racer and u bet the pro guys would be complaining that they cant get in a good run which means no a main...................pro guys wouldnt want to run with a bunch of average guys in mod so i see the point the the average stocker is trying to make.........................................u dont want us in your class because we slow u down ...so fair is fair stay out of ours.... plus u pro guys have cranked motors
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #128
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastguy1
I hear all this paid drivers stuff.
who is a paid driver in stock?????? I know them all and cant think of one.
bonus plan... yeah alot of companies have that...
when the average guy with poor talent and no hand eye coordination
is looking for what brushes to run to go faster
or what set up to start out with in stock
or what to charge their batteries at in 19t or stock
I think they should greatful they have an answer because all this stuff was tested by many at whatever the last large race was.
I think for a company to have an answer for these questions is worth a couple bucks.
Mo Denton
Thanks MO....and now close this pointless thread.....Who pulled this back up...McSmooth...Seaball.....

and I think that poor talent and no eye coordination thing was about me....
"I vowed to never let this happen.."
chubbspeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:46 AM   #129
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbspeterson
Thanks MO....and now close this pointless thread.....Who pulled this back up...McSmooth...Seaball.....

and I think that poor talent and no eye coordination thing was about me....

come on now Mike...you've got talent...you just sometimes dont carry it with you.
kind of like me at the nats last weekend.
Mo
Mo Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:39 AM   #130
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Now to throw something else into the mix...

I would love to see an "All Around RC Event"..

Top Gun so to speak...
To find the right arena might be difficult....

The classes:
1/12 onroad carpet
1/10 onroad sedan carpet or asphalt
1/10 onroad sedan nitro
1/8 onroad nitro
1/10 offroad electric buggie
1/10 offroad nitro buggie
1/8 offroad nitro truck

No qualifiers or mains, everyone runs 3 races at each class, point system starts at 100, 99,98,97,etc for each class. You must run in each class in order to qualify for Best of the Best.....
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:45 AM   #131
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko
what if every stock racer entered into the mod class then im sure their would a fair amount of pro guys in some of the qualifiers with the average racer and u bet the pro guys would be complaining that they cant get in a good run which means no a main...................pro guys wouldnt want to run with a bunch of average guys in mod so i see the point the the average stocker is trying to make.........................................u dont want us in your class because we slow u down ...so fair is fair stay out of ours.... plus u pro guys have cranked motors
Funny, the mod guys never complain about running with me. As long as you don't drive stupid they're fine with it. I probably get more hlep from the mod guys than I would in stock. In mod, the fast guys want to get you up to speed so that they aren't lapping you every 5 laps.

The mod situation has absolutely nothing to do with stock anyways.

Cranked motors? Give me a break I won't even go there.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:45 AM   #132
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko
plus u pro guys have cranked motors
Im hearing that more and more lately. Had a guy admit to me that they turn them so they are just within the limits for tech. Concerning...
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:59 AM   #133
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Talking

De sha vu...I went to bed last night and woke up to find myself back three years ago when this thread first started. Ohh, no wait its still 2007 and I am still not getting paid to drive little toy cars!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:58 AM   #134
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I dont think there is anything wrong with paying a driver to race a toy car.
heck it would be a pretty awesome job to only have to do that. probably alot of pressure at the big races, but the question was pro drivers in stock
and like I said to be a pro you have to be paid for it..(thats what makes you a pro) and I dont think there are any pro drivers in stock. I dont think incentives really count, I give my boy 5 bucks everytime he hits a home run in baseball but he isnt a pro baseball player.I have been racing for a while now and unless I am missing something there arent any paid stock drivers.
and if there are who???
Mo
Mo Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #135
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Mo....I cant speak for everyone but I would think that some people would see a paid driver as a driver that gets any sort of payment....ie Hotel room, air fare, entry fee and contingency money as a paid driver. We know that the two major car manufacturers both have plans in place to reward the drivers for their stock performances. I dont think this is wrong as these same manufacturers are making money off these results the drivers should get something in return....and if you are not then you are foolish.

Personally I donít care that they are in stock I would just like to see some of them move on to give the complacent mod drivers a run for their "money"....not so there is more room in the main for me. Personally I would race mod all the time but at the tracks and with the people around my neck of the woods it is not conducive to racing mod on a regular basis and I know that some of the "Paid Stock" racers are in this boat as well. Itís too hard to race mod at national events with out any real sort of practice so some still race stock. But on the other hand if there were rules in place to make these same drivers move on to the higher classes well then there might be more mod racing all around and it would be more competitive with out the same 10 people in the main at each race nationally here in the US.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote