R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #106
Mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
Man your logic is so bad. Why dont these pro stock drivers move up to mod so they can compete with them? For the same reason those guys dont move up to mod is the same reason non-pro Stock racers dont want to race with Pro Stock racers.

The thing is, they usually do race Modified. Sometimes there aren't enough people to run modified so they run stock.

Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #107
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Mal; now why would that happen at a National-Caliber event?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #108
Mal

I'm talking about my local track, not a national event. I'm replying to orbits remarks.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #109
Tech Regular

The main difference is how "sponsered" drivers treat their equipment. When I buy batts, I expect them to be at least moderately useful for a good amount of time. I was hearing people charging their batts at 8,9,10,12 amps. If I did that to my batts, I'd be buying packs every month. They can afford to run the most aggressive setting possible on their ESC's without worrying about frying it. It'll be replaced.
With that being said, sponsored drivers in stock is not a bad thing. I watched Drew "Freaking" Ellis and Chris Goetz go at it and all I can think is "I wanna be in the middle of that!" I think it could be a motivation to some such as myself.

Jason
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #110
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede
The main difference is how "sponsered" drivers treat their equipment. When I buy batts, I expect them to be at least moderately useful for a good amount of time. I was hearing people charging their batts at 8,9,10,12 amps. If I did that to my batts, I'd be buying packs every month. They can afford to run the most aggressive setting possible on their ESC's without worrying about frying it. It'll be replaced.
With that being said, sponsored drivers in stock is not a bad thing. I watched Drew "Freaking" Ellis and Chris Goetz go at it and all I can think is "I wanna be in the middle of that!" I think it could be a motivation to some such as myself.

Jason
And this couldn't happen at the highest level of racing (Mod) or even in 19turn, (which should be the transitional class, Pro's and Sportsmen get to run together)? Sure it could. When you are at that level you can drive almost anything. These guys can lay it down with a mod-motor, mabuchi, 19 turn, anything you throw at them. The only problem I see with the same people dominating the entry-level class to our sport for so long is that it deters beginners and/or potential racers from entering.

Everyone needs to take a step back and think to when they started racing, being beginners again. You moved up through the ranks. You started in Novice, moved up to Sportsman, then Expert stock and finally modified. Nobody wanted to be the fastest stock driver in the world. It was about being the fastest modified driver in the world.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #111
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Putnam
Mo,
You're not paid?!? Well if that's the case, then I only know of 2...
Hey Todd
shoot!!I wish I was paid!!!!! Then I wouldnt average spending 900.00 dollars
everytime I go to a nats. (except Vegas because the roulette was good to me the past 2 years)
well you know of 2 then thats more than I know of.
Mo
Mo Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:55 PM   #112
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i like the way nitro does it. they call it stockman and pro class.

i think stock class should be called STOCKMAN class.

Once you win in stockman class, you should move up to PRO class.
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #113
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to G Ace Send a message via Yahoo to G Ace

no
G Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #114
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

How about the nats 12th scale non factory driver donny lia whipped the factory drivers arses.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #115
Tech Regular

To answer the question "Should Pro Drivers Be In Stock" my belief is YES! I also agree with Mo that no Stock drivers are paid a salary. As a matter of fact there are very few Mod drivers that actually get a salary. There are travel teams and bonus plans for sure.

If this thread is started because of the Nationals results than I really don't get it. For one thing it was the Nationals for pete's sake! The best of the best should be the people that win. If you want to come to a big race and make the "A" Main because they wouldn't let the fastest guys race in your class then you would have a really nice trophy-----that means nothing!

As had been said many times, winning a stock class probably sells more cars for a manufacturer then winning Mod. The really good news is that you can actually buy everything that the winner uses...except skills. That seems to be a problem in this hobby/sport/competition, some people want to buy success but you just can't buy skill and natural ability. They will just have to face the fact that they are not as good as the "A" main guys and enjoy the hobby for the great friends and cool little cars we get to race. And what is really funny is that no one will think any less of you as a person if you can't win the "A", if you are a good person you will still be even if you win the "F" main.

For the record, I have one of those Mod Factory Drivers living in my house, every once in a while I try to drive his car, I can't because it turns too much, so I make him drive mine. You got it, my stuff is really fast! All I need are those damn skills and I will be in the "A".

Ted
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:35 PM   #116
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Of course they should not be. And really should not be racing 19T either.

You will never see Cavalieri, Drake, Amezcua, Maifield, or Tebo racing 19T.
Bingo!

Also, here's two thoughts I have about this issue:

1) I quit racing on-road this year. One of the main reasons was that I noticed a lot more drama in on-road (stuff like this thread). It seems like on-road is all about complaining and winning whereas off-road is more about having fun. (However, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I found on-road to be more expensive than off-road and I've always had more fun in the dirt.)

2) I race mod buggy twice per month at my local track, but I drop down to stock buggy when big regional/national races come to town because I can't stay on the same lap as the factory/pro/sponsored guys and I don't want to get in their way. It has nothing to do with increasing my chances of winning a main because I really don't care about winning. If it happens, cool. Regardless, I'd still rather be racing mod buggy.

Going from mod to stock is like taking a doughnut off your bat just before you enter the batter's box: It feels so much easier! Anyone who says that mod doesn't take more skill needs to realize that denial is not just a river in Egypt.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #117
Tech Elite

Ted, I think more of what people are trying to get to is not to make the stock class an easy class to win or not, but getting the really advanced drivers to race in the really advanced classes. This is why 19 turn was incepted, to allow there to be a class faster than stock that the avg guy can go and compare himself against the big guns. Is it fair that factory or pro guys run stock? I think if we are all honest with ourselves we can agree that it really isn't. Stock is the beginner to intermediate class, maybe even advanced privateers. Not a class for Pros. This is why ROAR wouldn't allow guys in mod to run stock. The result wast that the manufacturers develop their stock teams and work around the rule. I also disagree with the fact that stock sells more equipment. This is not true. You might sell more stock motors than mod, but by no means does a Stock Driver have more Marketing Power than one of the Guys that runs in Modified. Hence why you have the Mark Rheinard Tamiya, the Hara/Moore/Surikarn kits. You will Never see a stock edition driver car, simply makes no sense.

If we want to grow the hobby, we have to leave the amateur and intermediate level classes for the amateur and intermediate level drivers. No matter at what level, being Nationals or similar, it still should be a class for Amateurs. If you dominate a class for more than a year, man up and move up! This happens in all forms of racing, if the goal is to be the best, run where the best are- the Modified Class.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:50 PM   #118
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wow this is still going on. I do agree that once a driver becomes pro and moves to mod they should have to stick with it. It's like that for the most part in every other sport. I really don't consider this a sport since I've gained about 20 pounds doing it.... In Motocross once you move up from the lights (or lites not sure what the hell they call it these days) to pro you cannot move back down for the most part. It's pretty much bull that we've seen stock champs move up to mod and then right back to stock after a few races because they can't cut it. One former Xray driver comes to mind..... I'll agree that paid pros running 19t is pretty much retarded but on the same hand it's the racers option to run in that class knowing who they will be running against. Just like it's a racers option to attend one of these events. Expect to lose unless you are the cream of the crop. I'd love to run mod but I would probably suck at it, don't feel like spending the money and no one races it at a club level. In my almost 6 years of racing I've seen 2 mod races at a club. Take Mo as an example. He is a great driver (still think he's a sucka) and could probably run with some of these mod guys but who in the hell is he going to race against at a club level? He could drive 3 hours every weekend to Cincy and race with Doseck when he's there. It's not worth it.
jrighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #119
Tech Elite

Good points J, club racing is a different scenario though. At the club level, some sort of Sportsman v. Expert Class needs to be addressed. But at a large event, there is plenty of competition in 19T and modified for the advanced drivers to race in a category according to their skill level, without having to add sportsman classes.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #120
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

probably the reason why on-road is dying.

our club racing around here there is pretty much no mod class. everyone is in stock. so there are clubs that only build small tracks to suit stock drivers. then mod drivers dont turn up coz the track is too small.

even in big events you will barely get 15 mod drivers
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote