R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #61
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprsme
If they are Limited to how many, some one better tell Carl Edwards!!!!! He is scheduled to run all the Bush races this year...
Perhaps it was just proposed. Regardless there are definately drivers complaining about it.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #62
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcoyote
I think it's pretty simple..Make two classes. Pro stock..(hence for the pros) and stock for the others if it becomes a problem. You just have to figure out what qualifies as pro (years racing, sponsorships, etc). Like novice class, we race novice when we first get in and the top two drivers from the season move on to stock class. Same goes if they are racing in novice modified class. They just move to modified class.
I like your point. My first year of racing a regional event came about. I entered the novice class and all the guys that had been racing expert in club racing were entering novice. I finished fourth just out of a trophy. I guess I should have been running in the expert class. Ending the dispute per which class you enter seems to be the deal. I was upset I know theres was no chance of winning the expert and I wasn't a clean enough driver to enter that class. I think with brushless we have an alternative to end the dispute.

Aside from NOVA F1 RACER's Post, he really layed down the law or (rule of thumb to the nature of racing) All though I think if we increase the volume of club racers and make big events less desirable we hurt the racing aspect of the hobby.
If we approach nat'l events in the assumption here he comes pack it up just give him the trophy hes going to win. Then sign ups will dwindle.
If I sign up I want to feel I have a shot at winning. Or I will just club race and thats it. Narrowing classes is the only way to do that. We're racing on skill levels. Motors, kits and tires are not important until the more advanced classes. We need the Bling Bling class that attracts new racers not just on club levels but Nat'l levels, and that class will have to offer a closer chance of winning. I'm getting closer to how I feel as for the question. Although I'm just putting out comments, so I'll say we need to look closer at the options we have these days. We should keep in mind threads like this are not useless it helps the proper officials to keep us all be happy in racing these big events, yet when a rule is written its up to us to follow it. And when a class is opened its on our honor that these officials count on us.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #63
Tech Regular

I'm speaking more from the local standpoint. I don't believe nationals/world scheme should change at all. If you want to be the best you have to race against them.
Since I am not in FL, or CA I don't have the luxury of having a 19T class along with the stock and modifieds. Not enough support. Sometimes it's easier to create a class that bumps up to the next level people who win a lot. That way, they don't get bored either. For those of you who have 100+ racers per event it may not be the best way and you can afford to run all classes. But remember not everyone that races has that option. Which is why it's probably not as big out here. Out here you have your die hards who race anytime they can, and you have your weekenders that can only race on weekends because of work. Then you have me...
My situation is even worse. I work a 3-4day schedule at night and they do their races here on the Saturday nights I work. Never on the night I'm off. No wonder they only have 15-30 (30 might be pushing it) racers per event. Funny thing is, I work for the largest employer in Idaho. So changing to every weekend would help get more people racing. When you count out those people expect low turnout.
wcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
Perhaps it was just proposed. Regardless there are definately drivers complaining about it.
I will agree that SOMEONE is complaining somewhere! Heck thats what this world has come to. If YOU don't get what YOU think YOU deserve complain until you do......Thanks for helping prove the point of this thread!!!! LOL
Old 03-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #65
Tech Champion

Quote:
I will agree that SOMEONE is complaining somewhere! Heck thats what this world has come to. If YOU don't get what YOU think YOU deserve complain until you do......Thanks for helping prove the point of this thread!!!! LOL
Yes, society has somewhat turned us all into 5 year olds (its all about me attitudes). For me I find the people locally that Im of similar skill level to and we make our own race within a race. Thats what's fun for me (and improving on my own personal bests). If I were to go to a National event it would be for the road trip experience with friends. Not to try to win or gain a sponsorship. I think my fear (and a lot of others) is that we would be in the same heat as the ultimate TQ and accidentally take them out or constantly have to pull over. I guess you could argue if thats the case the person doesnt belong at the event but why deny people the experience? Someone will say "well I havent had the experience of competing in the olympics". I guess the difference being thats a sport and this is a hobby.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #66
Suspended

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
I guess the difference being thats a sport and this is a hobby.
Heh...be careful with that statement. There's a whole bunch of people that like to call it a sport to justify their fanaticism with it.

I agree, it's not a sport. Talk about the lack of physical activity involved. Standing still and moving one hand and one finger. Oh...and turning your head side-to-side. Even skeet shooting, bowling, and archery are more physically demanding. RC Racing is more like marbles.

If anything, TURN MARSHALLING is more of a "sport".
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #67
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmooth
Heh...be careful with that statement. There's a whole bunch of people that like to call it a sport to justify their fanaticism with it.

I agree, it's not a sport. Talk about the lack of physical activity involved. Standing still and moving one hand and one finger. Oh...and turning your head side-to-side. Even skeet shooting, bowling, and archery are more physically demanding. RC Racing is more like marbles.

Not a sport...it's a competition. At least the racing part is. The bashing in the backyard or parking lot is the hobby.
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #68
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastguy1
I hear all this paid drivers stuff.
who is a paid driver in stock?????? I know them all and cant think of one.
bonus plan... yeah alot of companies have that...
when the average guy with poor talent and no hand eye coordination
is looking for what brushes to run to go faster
or what set up to start out with in stock
or what to charge their batteries at in 19t or stock
I think they should greatful they have an answer because all this stuff was tested by many at whatever the last large race was.
I think for a company to have an answer for these questions is worth a couple bucks.
Mo Denton
Mo,
You're not paid?!? Well if that's the case, then I only know of 2...

"Where The Fast guys Shop"
Putnam Propulsion Competition Motors and Accessories
Todd Putnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #69
Tech Champion

I purchase my RC related stuff at a Hobby Shop not a Sporting Goods store

I guess that kind of shows some of the difference. I would guess maybe those that view this as a hobby want a seperate Stock class for sponsored drivers and those that view it as a sport dont.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #70
Tech Lord

Quote:
My Step father god rest his soul, Would tell me when I would whine over something.
He would say if your going to be one? Be a quiet one.
Although the nature of racing may keep you racing.
The nature of the racer needs to feel he has a chance to win that is on a Nat'l level. Or he will most likely give up entirely.
Now on the club level the thrill of racing is fun and that will keep you racing.
Most people who sign up in the big race are looking to do more than just see where they would place against the pro's. They are looking to justify why they race. Some decide just to club race like myself, and some decide not to race at all. I think narrowing the classes will help keep the entrust up
and make people feel they have a better shot at winning.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #71
Tech Master

Location: Bending Corners R/C Raceway(s) 2190 North Canal Street Orange, CA 92865

NO! Pro Drivers should not be in stock. But if a driver has pro skills and is not sponsored, they should be able to race any class they wish. I would hope that if there was a expert stock class, he/she would enter the Stock Expert class to race with the more skilled drivers.
email: [email protected]m

Asphalt track Info - Hours 9am - 5pm / racing starts at 12pm

** Trophy Races at BCR**
- July 19 Saturday "Controlled Mayhem" 4 track layouts.
- August 16 Saturday "Summer Slam"

** July Race Schedule
- Saturday 7/19 Controlled Mayhem Trophy Race
- Sunday 7/20 HB Underground Challenge #8
- Saturday 7/26 Asphalt Track /Open for Club Racing

---Hot Bodies Underground Race Schedule---
- July 20th / Sunday **Race #8 **CASH PRIZES**
- August 17th / Sunday Race #9 **CASH PRIZES**
TireShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #72
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmooth

Add in the agility to flip cars run as fast as you can to get to one jumping over 2 or 3 to get there, watch 10 cars at once, and be able to remember which side of the board to put it on all with out watching the race and a you may be able to call it a sport.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #73
Mal

There's a difference between mod sponsored drivers and stock sponsored drivers.

There are mod guys who race for a living. They have a full ride and get paid a salary. I doubt any of those guys are in stock.When I say the best, I meant best stock guys. Sure these guys are sponsored but not to the extent the mod drivers are.

Why water down the stock class? So average to below average racers can feel good about themselves?

Bottom line, racing against faster drivers makes you better.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #74
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
There's a difference between mod sponsored drivers and stock sponsored drivers.

There are mod guys who race for a living. They have a full ride and get paid a salary. I doubt there are any of those guys in stock.When I say the best, I meant best stock guys. Sure these guys are sponsored but not to the extent the mod drivers are.

Why water down the stock class? So average to below average racers can feel good about themselves?

Bottom line, racing against faster drivers makes you better.
Why make a distinction if you wont do it on the low end? There is also a difference between the sponsored stock driver and the non-sponsored stock driver.

It sounds like it should be based on this:

Mod - Full Ride Factory Drivers
19T - Sponsored Drivers
Stock - Non-Sponsored Drivers
Old 03-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #75
Tech Regular

The big problem with getting "factory" or "sponsored" drivers out of stock is the fact that it's so hard to draw a line on what a "factory" driver is. Is it a 100% sponsored guy? Batteries? Motors? Cars?

For most of us, you could take all of the racers out of the A and B at a big race and we still wouldn't win. We're getting beat running stock because we aren't as good as they are. They have the same motors, same cars and same tires. And now for the first time since I've been racing we can actually get batteries that are as good (sometimes better) than what the "factory" guys are getting.

As much as I would like to say that the top stock guys need to grow a pair and run 19 or mod it just doesn't matter. You'll just have a new crop of "top drivers" that everyone will want to kick out of stock.

In the end, I would much rather say "I got beat by Cole Trickle, professional race car driver" than "I beat Droolin Bob, the guy that drives like Ray Charles".

Some of us need to get over it and race for racing. We qualify so that we end up with people our own speed int he main anyways.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote