Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Pro Drivers Be Racing In Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by James35
"Stock" is referring to motor speed, not skill level.
This is actually something new. And possibly a justification for drivers continuing to sandbag. Stock had always been the beginner/sportsman/non-sponsored driver class. Modified was where fast/experienced/sponsored drivers set their sights.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
This is actually something new. And possibly a justification for drivers continuing to sandbag. Stock had always been the beginner/sportsman/non-sponsored driver class. Modified was where fast/experienced/sponsored drivers set their sights.
Thank you...
Old 03-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Welcome to the dawn of a new age....
Old 03-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

There are going to be people that are the best in any class, deal with it. If you go to any national level racing event there will be sponsored and fast racers in the lowest classes. People really shouldn't complain because it could be worse, there could be an insane amount of races you have to qualify at to even race with those fast guys to begin with. If you are after glory and trophies go to trophy races around your area. If you have to race against those fast guys at trophy races, then I envy you because I would love to race against them.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Our members owned and operated club and track have had a 4-cell stock (foam or rubber) for a few years. Typically, there is a difference of 1-2 laps between 4-cell and 6-cell.

Good Things:
Easy on the cars.
Removes a little of the throttle portion of the control so driving line can be concentrated upon.

Bad Things:
Too expensive for someone just starting into racing. The amount of people that come to our track, get the bug, go to a LHS and pick up a RTR monster truck is ridiculous. We are in essence promoting like crazy to lose all our efforts to patatoe racing. Very frustrating.

A spec class with 4-cell stock RUBBER is what is needed in my opinion.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

People might call me crazy, but in my mind. I see it as it takes a different driving style to be good in any class. No, the driving style in Stock isn't sandbagging either. My $.02, although I'll probably get flamed for it. It's what I believe. Factory drivers still shouldn't be in though.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Tech Adept

I have seen more then a few dominating stock racers try and make the jump to mod and they get their buts kicked driving around in the C class.

They end up getting discourged and they move right back down to stock where they are in their comfort zone of domination...

The fear of looking like a CJ is to much for them to handle. These guys will keep on running stock until their old enough to enter in the prestigous Masters class!

sad but true
Old 03-31-2007, 11:17 PM
Tech Elite

A simple solution to sponsored or pro drivers racing in lower classes may be to rename the classes. For example, when triple a mains and qual points started, you took the best 2 out of 3 or best 2 out of four or whater and then they used the next best finishes for tie breakers. Then somehow the non-used races started being called "throwouts". Someone reasoned tha a throwout meant jsut that and it should be "thrown out" and not count in any way, shape, or form. But this was not the original intent but a simple name change led to a completely different meaning.

Change Stock to Novice/Rookie/Beginner, 19T to Intermediate/Sportsman, and Modified to Expert/Pro/Factory. The same equipment will be used, but the changes in the names of the classes will encourage drivers to race in the class they belong in and prevent manufacturers from entering drivers in classes that carry less weight in advertising.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

good idea
Old 04-01-2007, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

As a race director, I get beginners - intermediate racers coming to me and requesting to kick out the better drivers to a different class. The more I think about it, the more I realize this is a pride issue. Some people would rather be at the top of the "Sportsman" class than in the bottom of the "Intermediate" class. Some people would rather be at the top of the "Intermediate" class rather than at the bottom of the "Pro" class. They want more options of skill level classes so there is a chance they can get to the top of the smaller group.

As a race director too, I agree. I've seen guys more worried about being able to claim "They Won Their Class" (even though they were THE ONLY entry in their class) so they could call their socalled SPONSOR on Monday morning and say...."Hey, I WON at the Blah Blah Championship Race this weekend"

Granted..it's FUN to WIN something, but jeez come on...some of this crap is rediculous.

SHOULD a Pro Driver be running in STOCK? Everey time I hear this and hear the complaint..."We can't beat those guys"

There is no SIMPLE answer to that question...

A Local track has 25-30 racers, 23 of them want to run STOCK, 2 of them are EXPERT/PRO caliber drivers. Do you kick those 2 out to run a 2 car race, or do you run them ALL together and let the cream rise to the top? I say, those guys want to RACE and 2 cars on the track is NOT a race.

Now, a NATIONAL event has 150 entries in STOCK - does the Pro driver get to run that? Remember, Nationals are established to crown THE BEST drivers,
so if a TOP LEVEL driver is not allowed in a class, then WHY have a championship for THAT class? Does it make sense to be able to WIN a class...so people THINK you are "THE BEST" but yet you actually keep "THE BEST" out of the class? Sounds like a FALSE ego inflator...you want to BE THE BEST - BEAT THE BEST~

................all that aside, if it's local club racing...if you ARE that TOP LEVEL SuperStar TOY CAR Racer - HELP the local guy, don't embarrass him/her by just dominating them causing frustration and another loss of somebody who enjoys this great hobby. Also, if you are that TOP LEVEL driver, don't be frustrated when the guy racing at the local track is NOT willing to spend 100's of hours praticing, and/or working on their car - remember for some THIS IS JUST A HOBBY THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN
Old 04-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

They end up getting discourged and they move right back down to stock where they are in their comfort zone of domination...
Sometime it not about a comfort level of DOMINATION - it's more about a comfort level of Speed and Driving Skill

MOD Racing is NOT for everyone. I can attest to that - I've been running mod for 15 years...and I still can't DRIVE. But I LOVE the feel of the RIP from a MOD MOTOR and deal with my LACK of DRIVING TALENT.

We have a group of STOCK Racers who have raced together for 15-20 years. They KNOW each others skill level, they know each others driving style, and they put on some of THE BEST "Entertainment" type racing around. These guys can run a 5 minute race bumper to bumper and/or side by side for the entire run. The fact that some can't run at that level is of NO concern to them...they have spent years learning how to make a SLOW motor as fast as possible.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

I know how this feels racing in an entry level class(540 novice)and race against drivers who have been in the hobby for many years and normally race stock at their club and they enter a class designed for rookies and beginners and when these pro drives race in these sorts of entry level classes and dominate the class by 2 or more laps it sorta turns away the newcomers because they know they wont have a chance in a million years to beat these type of racers. But this happens in real life motorsport not just in radio control cars like in moto gp when velintino rossi won all those championships in a row until someone was able to beat him. I know it kinda gets boring seeing the same people winning all the time but there is always going to be someone faster than you its just the way things are.